Flash plugin - Suse

This is a discussion on Flash plugin - Suse ; I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work. In seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it tells me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I ...

  1. Flash plugin

    I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work. In
    seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it tells
    me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am just
    gettting frustrated.
    What am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: Flash plugin

    Mike wrote:
    > I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work. In
    > seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it tells
    > me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am just
    > gettting frustrated.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    You need to find the plugin and make symlinks of it. Then drop the links
    into the plugins directory of each browser. That worked for me. To be
    sure, in the address bar of Seamonkey and Firefox type aboutlugins,
    you will see a list of installed plugins. If Flash was detected when the
    browser started it will be there. There are other ways to get browsers
    to look for the actual plugin, but symlinking is the most reliable way
    I found so that each browser would recognize it each time. I do that for
    any plugin that I install manually.

  3. Re: Flash plugin

    Mike wrote:

    > I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work.

    where you download the plugin.
    if you use Yast with "repo/non-oss"
    you will have no problem
    http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

    > In
    > seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it
    > tells me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am
    > just gettting frustrated.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    check "aboutlugins"
    i have version: Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Flash plugin

    EOS wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work.

    > where you download the plugin.
    > if you use Yast with "repo/non-oss"
    > you will have no problem
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
    >
    >> In
    >> seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it
    >> tells me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am
    >> just gettting frustrated.
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > check "aboutlugins"
    > i have version: Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

    Ah yes, I should have mentioned that using Yast will almost always make
    plugins available to each program that can use it. Manual installation
    requires manual intervention, which I learned the hard way.

  5. Re: Flash plugin

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:39:32 -0400, Mike wrote:

    > I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work. In
    > seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it
    > tells me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am
    > just getting frustrated.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Hmmm...Did you use Suse packages or get the browsers from mozilla.org?

    The latest Seamonkey and Firefox sources (the gecko-sdk stuff) are
    diverging and plugins might be tricky for a bit.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Flash plugin

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:04:47 +0000, EOS wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded the flash plugin and installed it and it doesn't work.

    > where you download the plugin.
    > if you use Yast with "repo/non-oss"
    > you will have no problem
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
    >
    >> In
    >> seamonkey nothing happens, in firefox I get one thing to work then it
    >> tells me I need the plugin. Kpackage tells me it is installed and I am
    >> just gettting frustrated.
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > check "aboutlugins"
    > i have version: Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

    I just downloaded the RPM from this site and everything
    is working well.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...Platform=Linux

    d.b. cooper

+ Reply to Thread