Installing 64 bit version? - Suse

This is a discussion on Installing 64 bit version? - Suse ; Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64- bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why is this, and ...

  1. Installing 64 bit version?

    Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64-
    bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse
    reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why
    is this, and how can i install the 64-bit version? (Using internet
    installation)? Thanks!

  2. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    Leo wrote:

    > Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64-
    > bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse
    > reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why
    > is this, and how can i install the 64-bit version? (Using internet
    > installation)? Thanks!

    depending on what your doing i would stay with the 32 bit version
    yes the 64 bit version runs faster but the apps are not there yet

  3. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:29:50 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > Leo wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64-
    >> bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse
    >> reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why is
    >> this, and how can i install the 64-bit version? (Using internet
    >> installation)? Thanks!

    > depending on what your doing i would stay with the 32 bit version yes
    > the 64 bit version runs faster but the apps are not there yet

    You can still run 32 bit apps on X86_64. This machine is a dual core
    64bit Athlon 5200 and runs both 32 & 64 bit apps under OpenSuSE 10.2 with
    no problems.

    Regards
    Gordon

  4. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    Gordon Darling wrote:
    >On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:29:50 +0100, darklight wrote:

    >> Leo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64-
    >>> bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse
    >>> reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why is
    >>> this, and how can i install the 64-bit version? (Using internet
    >>> installation)? Thanks!

    >> depending on what your doing i would stay with the 32 bit version yes
    >> the 64 bit version runs faster but the apps are not there yet

    >You can still run 32 bit apps on X86_64. This machine is a dual core
    >64bit Athlon 5200 and runs both 32 & 64 bit apps under OpenSuSE 10.2 with
    >no problems.

    How does that work? Does the OS set a flag to switch a
    particular core to 32 bit mode or what?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 02:53:06 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Gordon Darling wrote:

    >>> depending on what your doing i would stay with the 32 bit version yes
    >>> the 64 bit version runs faster but the apps are not there yet

    >>You can still run 32 bit apps on X86_64. This machine is a dual core
    >>64bit Athlon 5200 and runs both 32 & 64 bit apps under OpenSuSE 10.2
    >>with no problems.

    > How does that work? Does the OS set a flag to switch a particular core
    > to 32 bit mode or what?

    No the CPU does it (like running 16 bit Win 3.1 programmes on 32 bit
    Windows or running DOS programmes on 32 bit windows).

    I have two library directories /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 so you can have 32
    bit binaries and 64 bit binaries using the same library (e.g: libc) with
    the same name but different versions.

    You are also confusing running a 32 bit programme on a 64 bit CPU with
    using one or two cores which is down to multi-threading and is a whole
    different kettle of fish!

    You'll need to google for a more technical description. I just know it
    works!

    The limitations tend to revolve around things like having to use a 32bit
    browser because of a lack of 64 bit plugins (e.g.: Flash)

    Hope that helps
    Gordon

  6. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    Gordon Darling wrote:
    >On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 02:53:06 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> Gordon Darling wrote:

    >>>You can still run 32 bit apps on X86_64. This machine is a dual core
    >>>64bit Athlon 5200 and runs both 32 & 64 bit apps under OpenSuSE 10.2
    >>>with no problems.

    >> How does that work? Does the OS set a flag to switch a particular core
    >> to 32 bit mode or what?

    >No the CPU does it (like running 16 bit Win 3.1 programmes on 32 bit
    >Windows or running DOS programmes on 32 bit windows).

    >I have two library directories /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 so you can have 32
    >bit binaries and 64 bit binaries using the same library (e.g: libc) with
    >the same name but different versions.

    >You are also confusing running a 32 bit programme on a 64 bit CPU with
    >using one or two cores which is down to multi-threading and is a whole
    >different kettle of fish!

    >You'll need to google for a more technical description. I just know it
    >works!

    >The limitations tend to revolve around things like having to use a 32bit
    >browser because of a lack of 64 bit plugins (e.g.: Flash)

    Thanks.

    As for the browser bit, you are no worse off than if
    you installed the 32 bit version.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    Leo wrote:
    > Hi. I have an Athlon64 processor, and I would like to install the 64-
    > bit version of OpenSuse onto my computer. However, at the moment, suse
    > reports an i386 architecture. The CPU info says Athlon64 though. Why
    > is this, and how can i install the 64-bit version? (Using internet
    > installation)? Thanks!

    When I got my first AMD 64 bit machine, it was from NewEgg and it was an
    AMD Sempron on a mother board listed for AMD Athelon 64/Sempron. I
    assumed (incorrectly) that the CPU was a 64 - I even checked on AMD's
    site and never found any reference to 32 or 64 bits for any Semprons
    listed at that time. So when I went to install the 64 bit version of
    openSUSE 10.1 it said the cpu was a 32 bit. Did AMD or NewEgg pull a
    fast one?

    I have since gotten a new processor for that mb, and added 3 more
    Sempron 64's (advertized as such) and mb - all from NewEgg. They have
    all worked as 64, but I now only run 1 of them as a 64 bit. It is a bit
    faster, but for what I do, I don't really notice the difference.

    I even did a test ripping several audio CDs on a 32 and a 64 bit
    machine. The 32 bit version (same CPU and mb, RAM, etc.) was about 5
    times faster. Later, I discovered the reason. The 64 bit machine had a
    CD/DVD combo burner in it and the 32 bit machine had a CD only burner in
    it. Both were rated at 40x CD read, but the DVD combo came no where
    near the read speed on CD as it was rated. Swapping the drives made the
    64 bit machine 5 times faster than the 32 bit machine - all in optical
    drive speeds. And both drives work well for standard small file operations.

    John

  8. Re: Installing 64 bit version?

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:33:53 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>The limitations tend to revolve around things like having to use a 32bit
    >>browser because of a lack of 64 bit plugins (e.g.: Flash)

    > Thanks.
    >
    > As for the browser bit, you are no worse off than if you installed the
    > 32 bit version.

    Yep, for "mundane" tasks like browsing you will not notice any difference
    using a 32 bit app.

    Regards
    Gordon

+ Reply to Thread