Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64) - Suse

This is a discussion on Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64) - Suse ; I've made several abortive attempts to add an installation source to YaST without success. I'd really like to install the latest versions of Mono and Monodevelop, so I went to the web site, which advises SUSE uses to add the ...

  1. Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    I've made several abortive attempts to add an installation source to
    YaST without success.

    I'd really like to install the latest versions of Mono and Monodevelop,
    so I went to the web site, which advises SUSE uses to add the
    installation source:

    http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64

    to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.

    In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:

    Server Name: go-mono.com
    Directory on server: download-stable/suse-100-x86_64

    After clicking OK in the dialog, it went away and thought about it for a
    while and then added 27 identical URLs to the list in the Software
    source media dialog. The URLs added are all listed (immediately after
    the line specifying my installation DVD source) as:

    http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64

    (which, I guess, is what you'd expect except that I was only expecting
    it to add a single line)

    I then turned refresh on for each of these entries and clicked Finish.

    Back in the YaST Control Centre I chose Software Management. YaST then
    tried to refresh each of these sources. On every attempt, the error
    message:

    ERROR(InstSrc:E_no_instsrc_on_media)

    was displayed. Very user friendly, I thought :-)

    When I eventually got back to YaST, nothing from this installation
    source appeared to be displayed (i.e. there was nothing I could see that
    indicated that I had any version of Mono available to me except 1.1.8x
    that I had from the installation DVD, and which I had uninstalled prior
    to adding the new source). The source column in YaST was empty in all
    cases.

    Finally, just for the heck of it, I turned refresh off and tried again.
    The result was the same.

    Does anyone know what the undoubtedly obvious thing is that I've missed?

    Thanks,

    Peter

  2. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Peter Bradley wrote:
    ----------------------------snip--------------------------

    > http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >
    > to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    > they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >
    > In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    > and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:

    -----------------------------snip--------------------------

    Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.

    I've got mono-core-1.2.3.1-13.2 and I got it from this installation source:

    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/

    I'll bet that'll work no problemo' .

    :-)

  3. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Ysgrifennodd Michael Soibelman:
    > Peter Bradley wrote:
    > ----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >> http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >>
    >> to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    >> they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >>
    >> In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    >> and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:
    >>

    > -----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >
    > Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.
    >
    > I've got mono-core-1.2.3.1-13.2 and I got it from this installation source:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    >
    > I'll bet that'll work no problemo' .
    >
    > :-)

    :-)

    It might, but I don't think so. I need SuSE 10.0 64 bit (see subject line).

    I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though. Do you think I should try it?

    Peter

  4. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Peter Bradley wrote:

    > Ysgrifennodd Michael Soibelman:
    >> Peter Bradley wrote:
    >> ----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>> http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >>>
    >>> to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    >>> they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >>>
    >>> In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    >>> and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:
    >>>

    >> -----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>
    >> Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.
    >>
    >> I've got mono-core-1.2.3.1-13.2 and I got it from this installation
    >> source:
    >>
    >> http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    >>
    >> I'll bet that'll work no problemo' .
    >>
    >> :-)

    > :-)
    >
    > It might, but I don't think so. I need SuSE 10.0 64 bit (see subject
    > line).
    >
    > I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though. Do you think I should try it?
    >

    > Peter

    The url above will install the 64bit version. Yast will know to use the
    sub-directory as it is the same path !! Below the 'openSUSE_10.2' folder
    is the 'repo' folder which contains the correct information for Yast which
    is how yast verifies the installation source... That's why, if it isn't a
    correct source you will see a warning message that you are trying to add an
    invalid source !!! For your information the available architectures for
    this directory are "Available Architectures: i586, noarch, src, x86_64"

    P.S. Yes I checked to see that the 64bit rpm's are indeed there BEFORE your
    response... Just omitted that information.

    The actual rpm for you would be mono-core-1.2.3.1-33.1.x86_64.rpm as well as
    other related packages. Sorry for the omission.

    :-)

  5. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Ysgrifennodd Peter Bradley:

    > :-)
    >
    > It might, but I don't think so. I need SuSE 10.0 64 bit (see subject
    > line).
    >
    > I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though. Do you think I should try it?
    >

    > Peter

    Apologies for replying to myself.

    I used a bit of initiative (unusual for me) and tried:

    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...SE_Linux_10.0/

    This seems to have worked OK, but Mono still won't install because it
    says that mono-complete requires mono-basic 1.2.x (whatever), and only
    1.1.18 is shown as being available (I guess from my installation DVD).

    Any ideas as to how I can get hold of the correct version of mono-basic.

    Heck, I don't even want to use Basic!

    Peter

  6. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Peter Bradley wrote:
    > I've made several abortive attempts to add an installation source to
    > YaST without success.
    >
    > I'd really like to install the latest versions of Mono and Monodevelop,
    > so I went to the web site, which advises SUSE uses to add the
    > installation source:
    >
    > http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >
    > to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    > they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >
    > In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    > and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:
    >
    > Server Name: go-mono.com
    > Directory on server: download-stable/suse-100-x86_64

    I asume you run openSUSE 10.0

    > After clicking OK in the dialog, it went away and thought about it for a
    > while and then added 27 identical URLs to the list in the Software
    > source media dialog.

    Why? This will for sure have been the cause of the problem.

    > When I eventually got back to YaST, nothing from this installation
    > source appeared to be displayed (i.e. there was nothing I could see that
    > indicated that I had any version of Mono available to me except 1.1.8x
    > that I had from the installation DVD, and which I had uninstalled prior
    > to adding the new source). The source column in YaST was empty in all
    > cases.

    The fact that the source column was empty is most likely because there
    is no src.rpm in the repo.

    > Does anyone know what the undoubtedly obvious thing is that I've missed?

    First you tried to add 27 installation sources that were NOT needed and
    most likely faulty. I tried it with 10.2 and it added without any
    problem. I then did a search for 'mono-complete' and looked in the tab
    'Version' and saw 1.2.3-3.novell.i856 as version. I disabled the source
    again as I have no interest in it, but all seems to be working if you do
    what the URL you gave tells you to do.

    http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-102-i586/
    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  7. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Peter Bradley wrote:
    > ----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>
    >> http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >>
    >> to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    >> they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >>
    >> In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    >> and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:
    >>

    > -----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >
    > Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.

    Who is giving out bad information?

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  8. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    houghi wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Peter Bradley wrote:
    >> ----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>>
    >>> http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-100-x86_64
    >>>
    >>> to YaST. This URL is the url of the download site: but it's the one
    >>> they give, so I decided to feed that to YaST.
    >>>
    >>> In YaST --> Software --> Installation Source, I clicked on add --> http
    >>> and, in the dialog that appears added the following details:
    >>>

    >> -----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>
    >> Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.

    > Who is giving out bad information?
    >
    > houghi

    I was just being facetious :-(

    I meant it was perhaps not the most recent or perhaps only repo to use (i.e.
    the mono-web-site pointed to the one the OP tried unsuccessfully to add )..

    The one I mentioned is an openSuSE repo so probably the better choice.

  9. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>> Peter Bradley wrote:
    >>> ----------------------------snip--------------------------

    >>> -----------------------------snip--------------------------
    >>>
    >>> Well..there they go again !! Giving out bad information.

    >> Who is giving out bad information?
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I was just being facetious :-(
    >
    > I meant it was perhaps not the most recent or perhaps only repo to use
    > (i.e. the mono-web-site pointed to the one the OP tried unsuccessfully to
    > add )..
    >
    > The one I mentioned is an openSuSE repo so probably the better choice.

    OOppsss.. My mistake.. Should have seen the 10.0 !!! Not paying attention
    to detail I was referring to the 10.2 source.

    Sorry.

  10. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > OOppsss.. My mistake.. Should have seen the 10.0 !!! Not paying attention
    > to detail I was referring to the 10.2 source.

    Even then if they made a repo for 10.x, it should work, no matter who
    made it.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  11. Re: Adding an installation source to YaST (SuSE 10.0/AMD64)

    Ysgrifennodd houghi:

    > I asume you run openSUSE 10.0

    Well, it wasn't openSUSE at the time, so yes, it's SUSE 10.0 as it says
    on the box and as it says in the subject line

    > First you tried to add 27 installation sources that were NOT needed and
    > most likely faulty.

    Well, I TRIED to add ONE installation source using a URL copied and
    pasted from the Mono Web site. I'm just reporting what happened when I
    did that.

    >I tried it with 10.2 and it added without any
    > problem.

    Lucky you, but as you'll see from my earlier post, it doesn't work for
    me using the 10.0 repository.

    I'd be happy if anyone can see what the problem might be. I'm afraid
    that I can't. Which is why I've posted here.

    Many thanks

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread