Shrink PDF file size - Suse

This is a discussion on Shrink PDF file size - Suse ; I made an accidental discovery today after downloading a file in PDF format. This was some important data that I save regularly, and I have experimented with saving it as a text file (unreadable because of no formatting) a screen ...

  1. Shrink PDF file size

    I made an accidental discovery today after downloading a file in PDF
    format. This was some important data that I save regularly, and I
    have experimented with saving it as a text file (unreadable because
    of no formatting) a screen capture converted to a JPG, etc.

    When I used BCrypt to encrypt the PDF file, it automatically shrunk
    the file size to about 20% of the original! I have never saved a PDF
    file encrypted before, so this was quite a revelation.

    I hope that this technique can be of use to others.

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Shrink PDF file size

    Godzilla wrote:

    > I made an accidental discovery today after downloading a file in PDF
    > format. This was some important data that I save regularly, and I
    > have experimented with saving it as a text file (unreadable because
    > of no formatting) a screen capture converted to a JPG, etc.
    >
    > When I used BCrypt to encrypt the PDF file, it automatically shrunk
    > the file size to about 20% of the original! I have never saved a PDF
    > file encrypted before, so this was quite a revelation.
    >
    > I hope that this technique can be of use to others.
    >
    > Godzilla

    Of course that very much depends on the contents of the pdf file !! For
    instance, if you have a lot of images and a little text I suspect it wont
    compress nearly that much.

    If the pdf is all text then you'll get a higher compression ration. But
    thanks for the information anyway.

  3. Re: Shrink PDF file size

    Godzilla wrote:
    >I made an accidental discovery today after downloading a file in PDF
    >format. This was some important data that I save regularly, and I
    >have experimented with saving it as a text file (unreadable because
    >of no formatting) a screen capture converted to a JPG, etc.

    >When I used BCrypt to encrypt the PDF file, it automatically shrunk
    >the file size to about 20% of the original! I have never saved a PDF
    >file encrypted before, so this was quite a revelation.

    >I hope that this technique can be of use to others.

    Most encryption schemes run the file to be encrypted through
    zip or bzip or whatever. Encryption itself will not shrink
    a file.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread