Change distro? - Suse

This is a discussion on Change distro? - Suse ; I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious. Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu. Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read ...

  1. Change distro?

    I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    the thing of today.

    Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    grateful for all the help I have got here.

    rgds
    John

  2. Re: Change distro?

    John Jensen wrote:

    > Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    > about the latest Suse distro's,

    what is the problem with openSUSE?
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    its just sponsored from Novell, but if you want and you feel better with
    Kubuntu you can do this np for me ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Change distro?

    John Jensen wrote:
    > I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    > on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    > Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    > Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    > about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    > the thing of today.
    >
    > Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    > grateful for all the help I have got here.

    These questions can only answerd by you. All I can say is that it is a
    pity that you fall for the FUD that is spread by, among others, RedHat.
    Also I am curious to what bad stuff you have experienced. I sure
    haven't.

    And what is 'the thing of the day'? As far as I see Windows is still
    'the thing of the day'.

    Don't forget that if you dislike Novell, you should look up what other
    software they develop and avoid that as well, like the kernel, KDE and
    GNOME to name a few.

    So all I can say, try it out for your self. If you think that Kubuntu is
    better, great. If you think it isn't. Great as well. Linux is about
    choice, but it should be _YOUR_ choice.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  4. Re: Change distro?

    John Jensen wrote:
    > I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    > on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    > Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    > Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    > about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    > the thing of today.
    >
    > Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    > grateful for all the help I have got here.

    Obviously (at least I would hope it's obvious), Ubuntu/Kubuntu still
    has a lot of maturing to do. The nice thing about Linux is that
    you have the freedom to choose.

    I found Kubuntu to be a pretty good, basic, Linux distribution. It
    has some quirks (can't remember the problems I ran into... I was running
    the latest, but it might of still been before it's official release).
    I do remember getting frustrated at it. But still... there are things
    that frustrate me in openSUSE as well.

    For most people, they won't see any of the problems that I see...
    I'm a pretty heavy user. So you'll probably have no problems at
    all with Kubuntu (even "experienced" users will probably not
    have issues with it either).

    I still believe that SUSE/openSUSE is the best product out there...
    warts and all. PCLinuxOS looks the prettiest (looks professional).
    Of course... it may not be the most stable in the world.

  5. Re: Change distro?

    On Jun 6, 12:20 pm, John Jensen wrote:
    > I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    > on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    > Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    > Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    > about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    > the thing of today.
    >
    > Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    > grateful for all the help I have got here.

    I switched to Kubuntu from openSUSE 10.2. I liked suse well enough, I
    just had too many problems with it. Yast was so buggy it became
    unusable for me, literally just hanging when I would try to go into
    the section where you configure network settings (no response to
    repeated inquiries for assistance). And my system would grind to a
    halt when I would suddenly find zen consuming 200+MB of ram because it
    was just doing a simple check for package updates.

    I switched to Kubuntu 6.10 and it worked very well. I noticed that it
    was only about a month before the Feisty release so I just did another
    fresh install of 7.04 after it came out. Kubuntu isn't quite as
    pretty as suse, (it doesn't figure out the best looking textmode to
    use for console, for example), but functionally it works great. Like
    suse, the installation was easy and I had no trouble getting my laptop
    wireless card, touch pad, or anything else working. Getting beryl/
    aixgl working was a piece of cake. Kubuntu has the same DRM-crippled
    libxine by default. And, although it's not perfect, I've had much
    less trouble with configuring my network settings to be able to go
    between home and office (wireless at home, multiple vlan tagged
    interfaces at the office).

    I found the site http://ubuntuguide.org which was helpful so that I
    could hit the ground running. I generally use aptitude for package
    management. It's not as nice looking as the default adept package
    manager, but all the people in the forums and lists who know a thing
    or two seem to prefer it because it does a better job of things like
    tracking package dependencies and that sort of thing. Never having
    tried any debian based distros, I was a little balked by the deb
    packaging system, but so far it hasn't been an issue. The package
    downloader has an infrequent bug where it does not handle network
    timeout errors properly, but it's little more than just telling it to
    download the package again.

    I was more familiar with rpm, so I could do simple things like
    building my own packages from source packages (often while trying to
    work my way out of dependency hell), but I have yet to need to build a
    package from source on kubuntu. (I've since found out how, but just
    haven't needed to do it.) I had the idea of creating a package
    command reference (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/UnixPackages) just
    to be able to figure out how to do things I already know how to do in
    other packaging systems, but I haven't gotten all that far with it.

    Anyway, that's my suse/kubuntu input. HTH.

    And remember, DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages
    freedom.'

    --
    Andy

  6. Re: Change distro?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > I found Kubuntu to be a pretty good, basic, Linux distribution. It
    > has some quirks (can't remember the problems I ran into... I was running
    > the latest, but it might of still been before it's official release).
    > I do remember getting frustrated at it. But still... there are things
    > that frustrate me in openSUSE as well.

    Well, obviously openSUSE is not what every person wants it to be.
    However they are trying hard. Just look at http://en.opensuse.org/UX
    Look at the Projects.

    The fun thing is that if you find things frustrating, you can do
    something about it. Even by just answering the survey you are helping,
    but the projects is pretty interesting.

    Some nice links to be found there as well.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  7. Re: Change distro?

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:20:09 +0200, John Jensen wrote:

    > I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    > on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    > Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    > Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    > about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    > the thing of today.
    >
    > Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    > grateful for all the help I have got here.
    >
    > rgds
    > John

    I would recommend that you install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop
    rather than install kubuntu. IMHO things work a little better that way. I
    prefer the debian package management to RPM. It simply seems to work
    better for me.

  8. Re: Change distro?

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:20:09 +0200, John Jensen wrote:
    >
    >> I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    >> on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    >> Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    >> Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    >> about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    >> the thing of today.
    >>
    >> Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    >> grateful for all the help I have got here.
    >>
    >> rgds
    >> John

    > I would recommend that you install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop
    > rather than install kubuntu. IMHO things work a little better that way. I
    > prefer the debian package management to RPM. It simply seems to work
    > better for me.

    I tried them all, openSUSE 10.2 is the best.

  9. Re: Change distro?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    >John Jensen wrote:
    >> I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    >> on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    >> Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    >> Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    >> about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    >> the thing of today.
    >>
    >> Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    >> grateful for all the help I have got here.

    >Obviously (at least I would hope it's obvious), Ubuntu/Kubuntu still
    >has a lot of maturing to do. The nice thing about Linux is that
    >you have the freedom to choose.

    >I found Kubuntu to be a pretty good, basic, Linux distribution. It
    >has some quirks (can't remember the problems I ran into... I was running
    >the latest, but it might of still been before it's official release).
    >I do remember getting frustrated at it. But still... there are things
    >that frustrate me in openSUSE as well.

    >For most people, they won't see any of the problems that I see...
    >I'm a pretty heavy user. So you'll probably have no problems at
    >all with Kubuntu (even "experienced" users will probably not
    >have issues with it either).

    >I still believe that SUSE/openSUSE is the best product out there...
    >warts and all. PCLinuxOS looks the prettiest (looks professional).
    >Of course... it may not be the most stable in the world.

    I had issues with Kubuntu. I put it on my laptop because it
    would run my wireless where Suse wouldn't. But managing that
    wireless was sure difficult.

    And I had troubles with the "nobody is root" concept. There's
    a lot of administration that I often do as root, like trying
    to manage wireless) and it can't be beat for re-arranging
    directories, etc. Becoming root for a series of commands is
    powerfully painful. There were other things too.

    But a lot of that is as Chris says. It is a young distribution.
    I'm sure it will improve.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: Change distro?

    houghi wrote:
    >Chris Cox wrote:
    >> I found Kubuntu to be a pretty good, basic, Linux distribution. It
    >> has some quirks (can't remember the problems I ran into... I was running
    >> the latest, but it might of still been before it's official release).
    >> I do remember getting frustrated at it. But still... there are things
    >> that frustrate me in openSUSE as well.

    >Well, obviously openSUSE is not what every person wants it to be.
    >However they are trying hard. Just look at http://en.opensuse.org/UX
    >Look at the Projects.

    >The fun thing is that if you find things frustrating, you can do
    >something about it. Even by just answering the survey you are helping,
    >but the projects is pretty interesting.

    >Some nice links to be found there as well.

    This is quite right. And sometime in the future when folks
    doing different distributions quit feuding, perhaps they can
    share things such as drivers for wireless cards... ;-)

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  11. Re: Change distro?

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:20:09 +0200, John Jensen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use SuSe 10.1, originally a 9.2 boxed version updated regularly
    >>> on-line. Works very well, although a few mishaps, but nothing serious.
    >>> Recently I have been playing with the thought of changing to Kubuntu.
    >>> Don't like this Microsoft/Novell link, read (here) a lot of bad stuff
    >>> about the latest Suse distro's, and it looks like Kubuntu is becoming
    >>> the thing of today.
    >>>
    >>> Any pro's and con's?. Yes. I know this is a Suse group, and I am
    >>> grateful for all the help I have got here.
    >>>
    >>> rgds
    >>> John

    >> I would recommend that you install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop
    >> rather than install kubuntu. IMHO things work a little better that way. I
    >> prefer the debian package management to RPM. It simply seems to work
    >> better for me.
    >>

    >I tried them all, openSUSE 10.2 is the best.

    Hmm. There are over 100 distros listed on DistroWatch... ;-)

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  12. Re: Change distro?

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:25:53 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > And I had troubles with the "nobody is root" concept. There's a lot of
    > administration that I often do as root, like trying to manage wireless)
    > and it can't be beat for re-arranging directories, etc. Becoming root for
    > a series of commands is powerfully painful. There were other things too.

    Yeah I didn't like su only forced down my throat either. AWhat I found
    they did was create a root account but didn't set a password and did not
    allow login wotut a password.

    To fix that boot a live cd and chroot to the unbuttu partition
    Then...

    source /etc/profile
    passwd

    Exit and reboot. Now you can login as root.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  13. Re: Change distro?

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > This is quite right. And sometime in the future when folks
    > doing different distributions quit feuding, perhaps they can
    > share things such as drivers for wireless cards... ;-)

    Well, as far as I know, they share already as they are most likely GPL.
    So copy and paste and you are done. Or tell the people of the distro
    where you found them.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  14. Re: Change distro?

    In Ron Gibson:

    [Snip...]

    > To fix that boot a live cd and chroot to the unbuttu partition
    > Then...
    >
    > source /etc/profile
    > passwd
    >
    > Exit and reboot. Now you can login as root.

    IIRC for *buntu it's simpler than that. From your user account simply do

    sudo passwd

    which (again, IIRC) by default enters a root shell to change root passwd
    in the usual *nix fashion.

    Don't forget this passwd, or you then *MUST* do it via chroot, etc.

    I don't have a *buntu session available right now, but AFAIR, this is it
    for a *buntu root passwd (and obviously, a legacy root console login).

    Again, all this is from memory--IHBWB; YMVV; HTH...

  15. Re: Change distro?

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:11:58 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    >> To fix that boot a live cd and chroot to the unbuttu partition Then...

    >> source /etc/profile
    >> passwd

    >> Exit and reboot. Now you can login as root.

    > IIRC for *buntu it's simpler than that. From your user account simply do
    >
    > sudo passwd

    > which (again, IIRC) by default enters a root shell to change root passwd
    > in the usual *nix fashion.

    Hmmm...that didn't occur to me. I don't really care much for sudo and
    was really aggravated at the time as in the early stages of a install I
    make a lot of modifications that require being root.

    Some people swear by sudo. I swear at sudo. Too clumsy for me...

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  16. Re: Change distro?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Some people swear by sudo. I swear at sudo. Too clumsy for me...

    I use both, depending on the situation. sudoers is extremely usefull and
    I use it to give some users rights they normaly don't have. sudo can be
    useull if you need to do a one-off thing, like restarting something, su
    - is better if you need to do several more things.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  17. Re: Change distro?

    In Ron Gibson:

    [Snip...]

    > Some people swear by sudo. I swear at sudo. Too clumsy for me...

    Here, we are in 100% agreement; in fact, I don't normally fool with sudo at
    all, even when I helped manage a department web service before retiring (on
    SuSE, BTW). *buntu's been my first regular use of sudo in a long while.

    IMO sudo is one of those "convenience" factors with potential security risk
    that could have serious implications, especially for servers.

    I am NOT saying sudo is hopelessly useless, or as risky as something like a
    root ssh login. But personally, *buntu's default use of sudo for continuous
    1st installer id login as root makes me a bit uncomfortable, except on very
    limited single-user workstations. And even that's stretching it (for me).

    Still, I like *buntu mostly; I'll probably move to it (and/or FreeBSD) when
    my SuSE 10.0 goes EOL and online YaST security support ends.

    JMO; YMMV...

  18. Re: Change distro?

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:36:46 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > su - is better if you need to do several more things.

    I made a typo in an earlier post (typed su meant sudo). Yes, su is just
    fine for my purposes.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: Change distro?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:25:53 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:
    >
    >> And I had troubles with the "nobody is root" concept. There's a lot of
    >> administration that I often do as root, like trying to manage wireless)
    >> and it can't be beat for re-arranging directories, etc. Becoming root for
    >> a series of commands is powerfully painful. There were other things too.

    >Yeah I didn't like su only forced down my throat either. AWhat I found
    >they did was create a root account but didn't set a password and did not
    >allow login wotut a password.

    >To fix that boot a live cd and chroot to the unbuttu partition
    >Then...

    >source /etc/profile
    >passwd

    >Exit and reboot. Now you can login as root.

    Oh yes. Many of the problems can be fixed, but I found
    it unfamiliar and not worth the trouble. Of course I've
    been a Suse junkie for years.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  20. Re: Change distro?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:36:46 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> su - is better if you need to do several more things.

    > I made a typo in an earlier post (typed su meant sudo). Yes, su is just
    > fine for my purposes.

    I should have said `su -` to make clear that the dash is included in the
    command. Sometimes I also use `sux -`

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

+ Reply to Thread