Suse 9.1 - kernel 2.6.17 becomes unresponsive while copying files to nfs mount. - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 9.1 - kernel 2.6.17 becomes unresponsive while copying files to nfs mount. - Suse ; Hi, We have a system with Suse 9.1, kernel version 2.6.17. This box has an AMD 64 bit processor, 2GB RAM with 3GB swap partition. It has a nfs mount. nfs server has similar configuration and is in the same ...

  1. Suse 9.1 - kernel 2.6.17 becomes unresponsive while copying files to nfs mount.

    Hi,

    We have a system with Suse 9.1, kernel version 2.6.17. This box has an
    AMD 64 bit processor, 2GB RAM with 3GB swap partition. It has a nfs
    mount. nfs server has similar configuration and is in the same LAN.
    When copying multiple files ( thousands of 5MB files) to nfs mount,
    system goes unresponsive. Only way to get it back is to press the
    power button to restart. It is not reproducable The problem doesn't
    show up all the time.
    I guess the problem is with memory management. Almost all of the
    memory is in cache when it happens. Free memory level stays low about
    12MB for a long time ( about half an hour) before it stop responding.
    Please suggest any test to pinpoint the problem. Does any one know if
    it ia known bug?

    Thanks
    Sandesh

  2. Re: Suse 9.1 - kernel 2.6.17 becomes unresponsive while copying files to nfs mount.

    Hi!

    sandesh.aryal@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have a system with Suse 9.1, kernel version 2.6.17. This box has an

    9.1 is no longer supported, i.e. you will not get any security fixes. So you
    could take this as a hint to update.

    Sven

+ Reply to Thread