10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD - Suse ; I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 ...

  1. 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    Home currently running on it.

    When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.

    After some Googling, I found this page
    http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    system with a black screen.

    FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    have CD 1 in there.

    I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.

    Thoughts? Suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Warren
    cleangarage@hufta.net

  2. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    Warren wrote:

    > I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    > when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    > want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    > Home currently running on it.
    >
    > When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    > not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    > results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    > from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >
    > After some Googling, I found this page
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    > directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    > it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    > floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    > boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    > system with a black screen.
    >
    > FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    > have CD 1 in there.
    >
    > I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >
    > Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Warren
    > cleangarage@hufta.net

    This is probably what happened to me when I recently inherited an old
    PII-350 machine. When I finally figured it out I just about had given up,
    cursing and ready to turn it into a launched bundle of electronics.
    Thinking, as you are, that it was the cd contents I thought I'd give it one
    last chance and I inserted an old Windows disk and it booted.

    So, here's what I reasoned and found to be correct...

    You too will probably find this to be what you're facing..

    When you boot to the Windows disk the first thing that happens when the
    machine accesses the cd is you'll get (and not think about it) a message
    that says.."Press any key to boot from cd" Arrggg !!

    Yes, that's it. When you boot, on an older machine, to 10.2 this message
    does not appear and so the machine just sits there...

    So the solution is this. With the openSuSE cd in the cd drawer boot up.
    When you pass the first system check (bios) displaying the usual ram check
    and such keep your ears open and when you hear the cd start to spin hit
    the 'Enter' key !!!! Not any key as in Windows as the other keys don't do
    it. Yes, the 'Enter' or 'Return' or whatever your keyboard has. That's
    it. Sounds lame, but for whatever reason that 'Press Any Key to Boot from
    CD" message doesn't appear on older machines when booting to 10.2

    At least that's what I did to get it to work.

    Let us know if this is the solution for you.

    :-)

  3. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    Warren wrote:

    > I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    > when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    > want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    > Home currently running on it.
    >
    > When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    > not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    > results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    > from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >
    > After some Googling, I found this page
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    > directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    > it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    > floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    > boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    > system with a black screen.
    >
    > FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    > have CD 1 in there.
    >
    > I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >
    > Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Warren
    > cleangarage@hufta.net

    Sounds like you need to reorder your disk drives. Get into the BIOS setup
    (I think you press F2 when your computer first starts the boot process) and
    change the order of the disk drives. Make your CD-ROM the first to boot,
    followed by the floppy and then your main hard disk. Save the settings,
    reboot (w/ the SuSE CD in the drive) and it *should* boot now from the CD.

    Zach

  4. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:17:34 -0500, Zach
    wrote:

    >Warren wrote:
    >
    >> I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    >> when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    >> want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    >> Home currently running on it.
    >>
    >> When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    >> not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    >> results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    >> from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >>
    >> After some Googling, I found this page
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    >> directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    >> it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    >> floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    >> boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    >> system with a black screen.
    >>
    >> FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    >> have CD 1 in there.
    >>
    >> I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >>
    >> Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Warren
    >> cleangarage@hufta.net

    >Sounds like you need to reorder your disk drives. Get into the BIOS setup
    >(I think you press F2 when your computer first starts the boot process) and
    >change the order of the disk drives. Make your CD-ROM the first to boot,
    >followed by the floppy and then your main hard disk. Save the settings,
    >reboot (w/ the SuSE CD in the drive) and it *should* boot now from the CD.
    >
    >Zach

    Actually, I did have this problem before I upgraded the BIOS. I put
    the CD in and rebooted, and it came up in Windows. Took me a few
    beats before it dawned on me. I moved the CD-ROM to first in the
    boot order, floppy to second, and hard drive to third. Still the
    same, annoying error message.

    Thanks for the reminder though -- too much going on last night to get
    everything in my original posting!

    Warren
    cleangarage@hufta.net

  5. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    Warren wrote:
    > I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    > when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    > want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    > Home currently running on it.
    >
    > When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    > not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    > results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    > from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >
    > After some Googling, I found this page
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    > directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    > it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    > floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    > boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    > system with a black screen.
    >
    > FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    > have CD 1 in there.
    >
    > I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >
    > Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Warren
    > cleangarage@hufta.net

    Warren -I also have a Dell 8200 (it's been a very good computer,BTW) and
    have no trouble booting from the openSUSE 10.2 CD1. I have the box set
    that I purchased from Novell, however (not ones that I burned myself)
    and I do have to go into the boot options (F12 key) at start-up to tell
    it to boot from the CD drive. With this computer it doesn't appear you
    can set the boot order like you you can with the newer PCs. Other than
    that, it boots from the CD fine.

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck, -Pat

  6. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    Pat wrote:
    > Warren wrote:
    >> I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    >> when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    >> want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    >> Home currently running on it.
    >>
    >> When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    >> not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    >> results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    >> from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >>
    >> After some Googling, I found this page
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    >> directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    >> it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    >> floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    >> boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    >> system with a black screen.
    >>
    >> FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    >> have CD 1 in there.
    >>
    >> I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >>
    >> Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Warren
    >> cleangarage@hufta.net

    > Warren -I also have a Dell 8200 (it's been a very good computer,BTW) and
    > have no trouble booting from the openSUSE 10.2 CD1. I have the box set
    > that I purchased from Novell, however (not ones that I burned myself)
    > and I do have to go into the boot options (F12 key) at start-up to tell
    > it to boot from the CD drive. With this computer it doesn't appear you
    > can set the boot order like you you can with the newer PCs.

    I was wrong about not being able to set the boot sequence. I just
    checked and you can set this in the BIOS. The F12 key just allows you
    to choose which device to boot from, regardless of the BIOS setting,
    which is convenient since 99% of the time you want to boot from the HD.
    Sorry for the mistake, and hope you get this working.

    Pat

  7. Re: 10.2 Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Boot from CD

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:36:27 -0400, Pat
    wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >> Warren wrote:
    >>> I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
    >>> when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
    >>> want to load 10.2 on it. The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
    >>> Home currently running on it.
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
    >>> not boot from this CD." I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
    >>> results. Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
    >>> from A05 to A09. Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.
    >>>
    >>> After some Googling, I found this page
    >>> http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC...t_boot_from_CD that
    >>> directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
    >>> it, then select the CD to boot from. I used rawwritewin to make the
    >>> floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system. When I tried to
    >>> boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
    >>> system with a black screen.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
    >>> have CD 1 in there.
    >>>
    >>> I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
    >>>
    >>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Warren -I also have a Dell 8200 (it's been a very good computer,BTW) and
    >> have no trouble booting from the openSUSE 10.2 CD1. I have the box set
    >> that I purchased from Novell, however (not ones that I burned myself)
    >> and I do have to go into the boot options (F12 key) at start-up to tell
    >> it to boot from the CD drive. With this computer it doesn't appear you
    >> can set the boot order like you you can with the newer PCs.

    >I was wrong about not being able to set the boot sequence. I just
    >checked and you can set this in the BIOS. The F12 key just allows you
    >to choose which device to boot from, regardless of the BIOS setting,
    >which is convenient since 99% of the time you want to boot from the HD.
    > Sorry for the mistake, and hope you get this working.
    >
    >Pat

    For laughs, I downloaded the latest Knoppix last night and burned it
    to CD. I was then able to boot this same machine off that CD. What's
    so different about the SuSE CDs?

    Is there a way I can leverage the ability to boot Knoppix so I can
    install SuSE?

    Thanks!
    Warren

    Live in N. Raleigh, work near RBC Center.

    Check out all our "for sale" items at http://www.hufta.net/4Sale

    Warren
    cleangarage@hufta.net

+ Reply to Thread