getting to gui to start at startup - Suse

This is a discussion on getting to gui to start at startup - Suse ; for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in tty. after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me ...

  1. getting to gui to start at startup

    for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it
    doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in tty.
    after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me to the gui but my sound
    it down and i down have a sessions tab in my menu. but if when i first log
    in and change the run level to 3 then back to 5, it starts up just fine. I
    am using suse 10.0.

    thank you.

  2. Re: getting to gui to start at startup

    Mike wrote:

    > for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it
    > doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in tty.
    > after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me to the gui but my sound
    > it down and i down have a sessions tab in my menu. but if when i first log
    > in and change the run level to 3 then back to 5, it starts up just fine. I
    > am using suse 10.0.
    >
    > thank you.

    Try this.

    ->Yast ->System ->/etc/sysconfig Editor ->Boot ->Splash ->Yes

  3. Re: getting to gui to start at startup

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it
    >> doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in
    >> tty. after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me to the gui but my
    >> sound it down and i down have a sessions tab in my menu. but if when i
    >> first log in and change the run level to 3 then back to 5, it starts up
    >> just fine. I am using suse 10.0.
    >>
    >> thank you.

    > Try this.
    >
    > ->Yast ->System ->/etc/sysconfig Editor ->Boot ->Splash ->Yes

    yes is already default

    --
    Just trying to learn.

  4. Re: getting to gui to start at startup

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it
    >> doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in
    >> tty. after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me to the gui but my
    >> sound it down and i down have a sessions tab in my menu. but if when i
    >> first log in and change the run level to 3 then back to 5, it starts up
    >> just fine. I am using suse 10.0.
    >>
    >> thank you.

    > Try this.
    >
    > ->Yast ->System ->/etc/sysconfig Editor ->Boot ->Splash ->Yes

    Also, as regards your second question, I've had this problem too. Did you
    install Beryl or the other 3D desktop apps ?? This will sometimes screw up
    your session menu at least it did to me on the kdesktop. If so let us
    know. I'll try to give you the fix for that (also a Yast fix).

  5. Re: getting to gui to start at startup

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> Mike wrote:
    >>
    >>> for some reason on and off the gui doesn't like to start, currently it
    >>> doesn't. at start up it goes to run level 5 then prompts for login in
    >>> tty. after logging in, i enter startx and it brings me to the gui but my
    >>> sound it down and i down have a sessions tab in my menu. but if when i
    >>> first log in and change the run level to 3 then back to 5, it starts up
    >>> just fine. I am using suse 10.0.
    >>>
    >>> thank you.

    >> Try this.
    >>
    >> ->Yast ->System ->/etc/sysconfig Editor ->Boot ->Splash ->Yes

    > Also, as regards your second question, I've had this problem too. Did you
    > install Beryl or the other 3D desktop apps ?? This will sometimes screw
    > up
    > your session menu at least it did to me on the kdesktop. If so let us
    > know. I'll try to give you the fix for that (also a Yast fix).

    no, i didn't install anyting like that, the last thing i think i installed
    was vlc. but like i said, it would come and go.

    --
    Just trying to learn.

+ Reply to Thread