Re: Wow - is SuSE hard to configure! - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Wow - is SuSE hard to configure! - Suse ; On Jun 2, 3:25 am, houghi wrote: > redprie...@gmail.com wrote: > > Can I just start with how to block all icmp, that is drop all ping > > requests without response, for now? I promise to be good, no ...

  1. Re: Wow - is SuSE hard to configure!

    On Jun 2, 3:25 am, houghi wrote:
    > redprie...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Can I just start with how to block all icmp, that is drop all ping
    > > requests without response, for now? I promise to be good, no matter
    > > how frustrated I get. Pretty please . . .

    > YaST, System, /etc/sysconfig Editor, seach for 'ping' and you see three.
    > One for the firwewall, one for the DMZ and one for the internal DMZ.

    Should have stated am already familiar with etc/sysconfig, it shows
    all three zones are each value is set as "no".
    I guess my real problem is with iptables, or rather my lack of
    knowledge, re writing the proper command for it. No matter what I try
    it either returns an error or just a blank reset. Since the
    SuperConsole doesn't indicate any rule was applied I have to figure it
    wasn't.

    > Understand that turning off ping does not make your system more secure.
    > It makes it unable to ping. You might fool some script kiddies, who are
    > of no danger anyway.

    Sorry, I'd rather not be ping-able, at all.

    > houghi
    > --
    > It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    > source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    > for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  2. Re: Wow - is SuSE hard to configure!

    redpriest1@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Understand that turning off ping does not make your system more secure.
    >> It makes it unable to ping. You might fool some script kiddies, who are
    >> of no danger anyway.
    >>

    > Sorry, I'd rather not be ping-able, at all.

    Why sorry? It is your machine, you do whatever you like with it. ;-) I
    am just saying that it does not make your machine more secure.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

+ Reply to Thread