Re: CUPS Printer Configuration - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: CUPS Printer Configuration - Suse ; pestocat wrote: > I have Suse 10.2 running and using the CUPS configuration method to setup > printing on a Windows domain. CUPS seems a better method then the built-in > method to add printers in Suse. I can print ...

  1. Re: CUPS Printer Configuration

    pestocat wrote:

    > I have Suse 10.2 running and using the CUPS configuration method to setup
    > printing on a Windows domain. CUPS seems a better method then the built-in
    > method to add printers in Suse. I can print to a Dell 1100 printer on one
    > of the Windows PCs. However I have a HP 1120C printer on another PC that I
    > cannot get to print. I can ping the PC with the printer. The printer is
    > set for sharing. After trying to print on the CUPS page I see "Unable to
    > Connect to CIPS host, will try again in 60 seconds." Any
    > suggestions...please.

    Have you compared windows versions? XP, 2000, win 9x ?
    Look logs in /var/log/cups to see any difference in error messages.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  2. Re: CUPS Printer Configuration

    "Rajko M." wrote in message
    news429i.34$oV7.0@newsfe04.lga...
    > pestocat wrote:
    >
    >> I have Suse 10.2 running and using the CUPS configuration method to setup
    >> printing on a Windows domain. CUPS seems a better method then the
    >> built-in
    >> method to add printers in Suse. I can print to a Dell 1100 printer on one
    >> of the Windows PCs. However I have a HP 1120C printer on another PC that
    >> cannot get to print. I can ping the PC with the printer. The printer is
    >> set for sharing. After trying to print on the CUPS page I see "Unable to
    >> Connect to CIPS host, will try again in 60 seconds." Any
    >> suggestions...please.

    > Have you compared windows versions? XP, 2000, win 9x ?
    > Look logs in /var/log/cups to see any difference in error messages.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Rajko.

    Rajko,
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Have you compared windows versions" Can you
    give me a hint.
    Thank you

  3. Re: CUPS Printer Configuration

    pestocat wrote:

    > "Rajko M." wrote in message
    > news429i.34$oV7.0@newsfe04.lga...
    >> pestocat wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Suse 10.2 running and using the CUPS configuration method to
    >>> setup printing on a Windows domain. CUPS seems a better method then the
    >>> built-in
    >>> method to add printers in Suse. I can print to a Dell 1100 printer on
    >>> one of the Windows PCs. However I have a HP 1120C printer on another PC
    >>> that I
    >>> cannot get to print. I can ping the PC with the printer. The printer is
    >>> set for sharing. After trying to print on the CUPS page I see "Unable to
    >>> Connect to CIPS host, will try again in 60 seconds." Any
    >>> suggestions...please.

    >> Have you compared windows versions? XP, 2000, win 9x ?
    >> Look logs in /var/log/cups to see any difference in error messages.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Rajko.

    > Rajko,
    > I'm not sure what you mean by "Have you compared windows versions" Can you
    > give me a hint.
    > Thank you

    I suspect that it is authentication that makes problem.
    Different windows versions use different methods.

    BTW, is "CIPS host" in above error CUPS host or CIFS host?

    The error messages in /var/log/cups logs can reveal more about reasons why
    connection failed. To look them you can use Midnight Commander text mode
    file manager:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander
    http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips
    I guess that it is not installed by default.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

+ Reply to Thread