Repositories - Suse

This is a discussion on Repositories - Suse ; What are most of you using for repositories? I've tried using http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/repositories/ but it seems the only one I can get to work is the one leading to the OpenOffice updates. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but just ...

  1. Repositories

    What are most of you using for repositories? I've tried using
    http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/repositories/ but it seems the only
    one I can get to work is the one leading to the OpenOffice updates. I
    don't know what I'm doing wrong but just about everything else I try (via
    YaST) comes up with the "can't configure source" error and asks if I want
    to try again. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm messing up in the
    syntax but darned if I know. Are some of the directories leading to
    various software updates simply unable to be configured as install sources
    and/or is there another source I should try?

    Thanks in advance!

    Zach

  2. Re: Repositories

    Zach wrote:

    > What are most of you using for repositories? I've tried using
    > http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/repositories/ but it seems the only
    > one I can get to work is the one leading to the OpenOffice updates. I
    > don't know what I'm doing wrong but just about everything else I try (via
    > YaST) comes up with the "can't configure source" error and asks if I want
    > to try again. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm messing up in the
    > syntax but darned if I know. Are some of the directories leading to
    > various software updates simply unable to be configured as install sources
    > and/or is there another source I should try?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Zach

    I'm not sure how to type this but if I could I'd be making a big groaning
    noise....LOL

    O.K. Here's what you want to do. Go to the openSuSE Package_Repositories
    page to see what's available there first !!

    http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

    Then go to the Additional Yast Package Repositories page and add the one's
    you want:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...e_Repositories

    Add them one at a time. If you input the data correctly Yast will add them
    and you'll see a progress dialog indicating they are being added. After
    you complete that phase THEN you can add the ones from the build server you
    mentioned above...BUT....

    First, they have to make sense. So, starting at the top in your web browser
    look at each one. So, for example the first folder is ASCIIParadize.
    Assuming you are using 10.2 you would click on the openSUSE_10.2 folder.
    When that opens you'll see several more folders. Again, assuming you are
    using an x86 processor as opposed to a x86_64 (64bit) processor you would
    click on the i586 folder. There you will see the rpm's for this folder.
    If they look like something usefull to you you will know you want to add
    this repository to Yast's Installation sources. 'But' the actual
    installation information would be:

    Type: HTTP
    Directory: download/ASCIIParadize/openSUSE_10.2

    Yast will determine whether to use i586 or x86_64 automagically. Remember
    that the 'directory ends with (usually) the version of SusE (openSuSE_10.2
    in this case) you are using...

    Also, in addition to all the ones at:

    http://software.opensuse.org/download/

    you may be adventorous and look through the ones at:

    http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/

    This is probably not what you want but there are sometimes one's in there
    that may interest you... Be careful though as these can be 'not quite
    ready for prime time yet' !!!!

    Hope this helps. :-)

    P.S. I claim no responsibility for any carnage foisted on your system if
    you choose any repositories other than the official repo's listed on the
    very first one I mentioned above !!! Your mileage may vary..

    Also, be aware that the more repo's you add to your list of install sources
    the longer it takes to upgrade your packages and the more likely you will
    have to choose 'ignore' when Yast has a problem accessing certain
    files/repositories.

    You've been informed and forwarned !!!

  3. Re: Repositories

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
> [...]

    > in this case) you are using...
    >
    > Also, in addition to all the ones at:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/download/
    >
    > you may be adventorous and look through the ones at:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/
    >
    > This is probably not what you want but there are sometimes one's in there
    > that may interest you... Be careful though as these can be 'not quite
    > ready for prime time yet' !!!!
    >
    > Hope this helps. :-)
    >

    > P.S. I claim no responsibility for any carnage foisted on your system if
    > you choose any repositories other than the official repo's listed on the
    > very first one I mentioned above !!! Your mileage may vary..
    >
    > Also, be aware that the more repo's you add to your list of install sources
    > the longer it takes to upgrade your packages and the more likely you will
    > have to choose 'ignore' when Yast has a problem accessing certain

    Regardless of which repositories you choose, the easy way to get it
    entered is to open Yast to the installation sources and concurrently
    search in a browser for the repository. Once you have the browser at
    the correct location (should end up with /10.2/), copy the entire
    address and past it into the server name space, making sure you
    eliminate http:// from the beginning, and then click next. Yast will
    automatically split server and directory with the correct / separators
    to work.

    Much easier than entering multiple directory levels and occasional weird
    spellings.

    John

  4. Re: Repositories

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:16:48 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >> What are most of you using for repositories? I've tried using
    >> http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/repositories/ but it seems the only
    >> one I can get to work is the one leading to the OpenOffice updates. I
    >> don't know what I'm doing wrong but just about everything else I try
    >> (via YaST) comes up with the "can't configure source" error and asks if
    >> I want to try again. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm messing up

    > O.K. Here's what you want to do. Go to the openSuSE
    > Package_Repositories page to see what's available there first !!

    > http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

    > Then go to the Additional Yast Package Repositories page and add the one's
    > you want:

    > http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...e_Repositories

    > Add them one at a time. If you input the data correctly Yast will add
    > them and you'll see a progress dialog indicating they are being added.
    > After you complete that phase THEN you can add the ones from the build
    > server you mentioned above...BUT....

    > First, they have to make sense. So, starting at the top in your web

    > Type: HTTP
    > Directory: download/ASCIIParadize/openSUSE_10.2

    > Yast will determine whether to use i586 or x86_64 automagically. Remember

    BTW, that's :-)

    I've been getting around to asking almost the same exact question as I'm
    having the same problem. I did not want to ask until I made am effort to
    find some info. I don't understand as I've searched opensuse.org several
    times and come up empty.

    Anyway let me ask two questions now. I'm sure I'll have more later today.

    1) The docs indicate that you can add a rerpository via the command
    line. Are there any limitations using this method and does it really
    matter which you use?

    2) SMART - How the heck do you add anything to that interface or does it
    just use the same addy's that YAST does?

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Repositories

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Regardless of which repositories you choose, the easy way to get it
    > entered is to open Yast to the installation sources and concurrently
    > search in a browser for the repository. Once you have the browser at
    > the correct location (should end up with /10.2/), copy the entire
    > address and past it into the server name space, making sure you
    > eliminate http:// from the beginning, and then click next. Yast will
    > automatically split server and directory with the correct / separators
    > to work.
    >
    > Much easier than entering multiple directory levels and occasional weird
    > spellings.
    >
    > John

    Still easier and even more error proof method is to add the
    source by "specify url" and copy/paste the whole address from the
    browser.
    --
    Vahis
    Motorcycling, Boating and openSUSE: http://waxborg.servepics.com

  6. Re: Repositories

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

> [...]

    > in this case) you are using...
    >
    > Also, in addition to all the ones at:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/download/
    >
    > you may be adventorous and look through the ones at:
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/
    >
    > This is probably not what you want but there are sometimes one's in there
    > that may interest you... Be careful though as these can be 'not quite
    > ready for prime time yet' !!!!
    >
    > Hope this helps. :-)
    >

    > P.S. I claim no responsibility for any carnage foisted on your system if
    > you choose any repositories other than the official repo's listed on the
    > very first one I mentioned above !!! Your mileage may vary..
    >
    > Also, be aware that the more repo's you add to your list of install
    > sources the longer it takes to upgrade your packages and the more likely
    > you will have to choose 'ignore' when Yast has a problem accessing certain

    Thanks for all the info. I've only added one (so far) as I've already
    experienced the slowdown you mentioned. Now that I have some repositories
    to go through, I can be more meticulous about the ones I pick and choose.

    Zach

  7. Re: Repositories

    Zach wrote:
    > What are most of you using for repositories?

    1) DVD source on HD
    2) /usr/src/packages/RPMS/
    3) download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss
    4) Packman
    5) Guru
    6) download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/non-oss

    I have them inactive till I actualy need them

    As others have pointed out, go to
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...e_Repositories and
    http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories and add them as URL in 10.2

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  8. Re: Repositories

    Zach wrote:
    > What are most of you using for repositories? I've tried using
    > http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/repositories/ but it seems the only
    > one I can get to work is the one leading to the OpenOffice updates. I
    > don't know what I'm doing wrong but just about everything else I try (via
    > YaST) comes up with the "can't configure source" error and asks if I want
    > to try again. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm messing up in the
    > syntax but darned if I know. Are some of the directories leading to
    > various software updates simply unable to be configured as install sources
    > and/or is there another source I should try?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Zach

    I use:
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    Plus my own directory where I run my own repo index for assorted RPM's.
    Stay away from xorg updates unless you know what you are doing, you CAN
    mess up xwindows which will make KDE or Gnome useless. Same goes for
    Guru and Packman, have lots of experience before using.

    http://packman.unixheads.com/suse/ is another popular site. Be careful.

    http://repos.opensuse.org/ Sometimes have more current software than
    software.opensuse.org. Take your pick.

+ Reply to Thread