Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity - Suse ; Jim Jones wrote: > Jess Jackson wrote: >> Jess Jackson wrote: >>> David Bolt wrote: >>>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Jess Jackson wrote:- >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> Clearly I am missing some setting somewhere that can control this >>>>> ...

  1. Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > Jess Jackson wrote:
    >> Jess Jackson wrote:

    >>> Hi David and John:
    >>>
    >>> I have tried that. I looked again and the "Require password to stop" is
    >>> (and has been) unchecked. But I also did not check for a screen saver. I
    >>> tried checking the screen saver and set it for one minute.
    >>>
    >>> In one minute, nothing happened. But after 10-15 minutes, the screen
    >>> went blank and required a password to get back on. It appears that it
    >>> will behave this way with or without a screen saver even with "Require
    >>> password to stop" unchecked.
    >>>
    >>> So, this appears to not be the problem. Something is over-riding the
    >>> settings on this screen.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jess

    >> BTW: I am running an nVidia adapter with dual monitors. But I can find
    >> nothing in the nVidia settings that has anything to do with screen
    >> savers and required passwords after going blank.
    >>
    >> Jess

    > There is one quirk I have seen that is so weird I would have never
    > thought of it. Right click the desktop>The configure desktop>then
    > Display>Then power control>make sure enable power management is checked,
    > and then set all 3 of the slider controls to full left or disabled and
    > see if that fixes the screen blanking. If I remember corrected if it
    > isn't checked to enable it also screws with the screen saver.
    >
    > Hope that helps
    >
    > Jim

    I have seen screen blanking occur when "load extmod" is missing or commented
    out in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Recommendations to delete that for the
    Via Technologies KM400 video card to get 3D started that behavior.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  2. Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Jess Jackson wrote:

    >>> BTW: I am running an nVidia adapter with dual monitors. But I can find
    >>> nothing in the nVidia settings that has anything to do with screen
    >>> savers and required passwords after going blank.
    >>>
    >>> Jess

    >> There is one quirk I have seen that is so weird I would have never
    >> thought of it. Right click the desktop>The configure desktop>then
    >> Display>Then power control>make sure enable power management is checked,
    >> and then set all 3 of the slider controls to full left or disabled and
    >> see if that fixes the screen blanking. If I remember corrected if it
    >> isn't checked to enable it also screws with the screen saver.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    > I have seen screen blanking occur when "load extmod" is missing or commented
    > out in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Recommendations to delete that for the
    > Via Technologies KM400 video card to get 3D started that behavior.

    I find that in Gnome at least, if I change power or screensaver settings
    I have to restart X to make it stick.

+ Reply to Thread