Knetworkmanager + wep - Suse

This is a discussion on Knetworkmanager + wep - Suse ; Hello all, I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my laptop. Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and provide my WEP ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi card in ...

  1. Knetworkmanager + wep

    Hello all,

    I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my laptop.
    Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and provide my WEP
    ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi card in yast and
    supplied the WEP ASCII password as well as the ESSID of my router. I have
    also tried using kwallet.

    However, most of the time when I boot up, I have to manually select my
    router out of the list and then supply the WEP ASCII password.

    Anyone know how I can configure knetworkmanager/yast to remember that I want
    to automagically connect to my router with my password?

    Thanks.

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Knetworkmanager + wep

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my
    > laptop. Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and
    > provide my WEP ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi
    > card in yast and supplied the WEP ASCII password as well as the ESSID of
    > my router. I have also tried using kwallet.
    >
    > However, most of the time when I boot up, I have to manually select my
    > router out of the list and then supply the WEP ASCII password.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can configure knetworkmanager/yast to remember that I
    > want to automagically connect to my router with my password?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, I couldn't even get Suse to recongnize my Intel iwp2100 wireless card,
    no matter whatever I did. This is not the first time I have had problems
    with Suse and wireless. However, in this case, I needed it for my work
    laptop and I needed it now. So, I tried Kubuntu and stuck in the live CD
    and it picked up my wireless card, no problem. So, it was a no-brainer, I
    blew away my Suse installation and installed in Kubuntu.

    I have been using Suse since 8.x and now use 10.2, both at home and at work.
    So, I was thinking, there are all those Python packages I used - scipy,
    numpy etc and I bet Kubuntu does not have them. But they did and they had
    them all at one central site. Did not have to go chasing Packman and all
    that.

    So, I will be using Kubuntu while I am on travel and we'll see. Maybe I'll
    just convert all my computers to Kubuntu.

    Ken D.

  3. Re: Knetworkmanager + wep

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    , Chris wrote:

    >I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my laptop.
    >Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and provide my WEP
    >ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi card in yast and
    >supplied the WEP ASCII password as well as the ESSID of my router. I have
    >also tried using kwallet.

    Point your news reader at the newsgroup "alt.internet.wireless" (or wander
    over to groups.google.com and search there). One thread that may be of
    interest was

    Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
    Subject: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds
    Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:59:09 -0700

    Actually, one person reported being able to recover typical keys in three
    to ten _seconds_ of trivial effort. Yes, this isn't going to solve your
    current configuration issues, but you really should not be depending on
    the illusionary security of WEP. WPA, or WPA2 is much more secure,
    especially when used with 20 characters or more non-dictionary words.
    WPA encryption based on a PSK (Pre Shared Key) has been cracked, but
    only with weak (either very short or short dictionary words) keys.

    Old guy

  4. Re: Knetworkmanager + wep

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    > , Chris wrote:
    >
    >>I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my
    >>laptop. Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and
    >>provide my WEP ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi
    >>card in yast and supplied the WEP ASCII password as well as the ESSID of
    >>my router. I have also tried using kwallet.

    > Point your news reader at the newsgroup "alt.internet.wireless" (or wander
    > over to groups.google.com and search there). One thread that may be of
    > interest was
    >
    > Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
    > Subject: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds
    > Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:59:09 -0700
    >
    > Actually, one person reported being able to recover typical keys in three
    > to ten _seconds_ of trivial effort. Yes, this isn't going to solve your
    > current configuration issues, but you really should not be depending on
    > the illusionary security of WEP. WPA, or WPA2 is much more secure,
    > especially when used with 20 characters or more non-dictionary words.
    > WPA encryption based on a PSK (Pre Shared Key) has been cracked, but
    > only with weak (either very short or short dictionary words) keys.
    >
    > Old guy

    I'm actually subscribed to that newsgroup. I also understand about the
    inherent weakness with WEP. However, AFAIK, my linksys pcmcia does not
    support anything other than WEP. The card is a 802.11b card. I did have a
    linksys B router, but it died. I bought the DLink as a replacement but I
    have not upgraded my laptop.

    For any sensitive work, I always tunnel through my desktop using SSH.

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: Knetworkmanager + wep

    Ken Dere wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I am having some annoying issues with knetworkmanager when I boot my
    >> laptop. Almost always I need to select my D-Link WBR-2310 router and
    >> provide my WEP ASCII password. I have configured my linksys pcmcia wifi
    >> card in yast and supplied the WEP ASCII password as well as the ESSID of
    >> my router. I have also tried using kwallet.
    >>
    >> However, most of the time when I boot up, I have to manually select my
    >> router out of the list and then supply the WEP ASCII password.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how I can configure knetworkmanager/yast to remember that I
    >> want to automagically connect to my router with my password?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Well, I couldn't even get Suse to recongnize my Intel iwp2100 wireless
    > card,
    > no matter whatever I did. This is not the first time I have had problems
    > with Suse and wireless. However, in this case, I needed it for my work
    > laptop and I needed it now. So, I tried Kubuntu and stuck in the live CD
    > and it picked up my wireless card, no problem. So, it was a no-brainer, I
    > blew away my Suse installation and installed in Kubuntu.
    >
    > I have been using Suse since 8.x and now use 10.2, both at home and at
    > work. So, I was thinking, there are all those Python packages I used -
    > scipy,
    > numpy etc and I bet Kubuntu does not have them. But they did and they had
    > them all at one central site. Did not have to go chasing Packman and all
    > that.
    >
    > So, I will be using Kubuntu while I am on travel and we'll see. Maybe
    > I'll just convert all my computers to Kubuntu.
    >
    > Ken D.

    Umm, what does this have to do with knetworkmanager?

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread