Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity - Suse ; Jim Jones wrote: > Jess Jackson wrote: >> Jess Jackson wrote: >>> David Bolt wrote: >>>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Jess Jackson wrote:- >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> Clearly I am missing some setting somewhere that can control this >>>>> ...

  1. Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity

    Jim Jones wrote:
    > Jess Jackson wrote:
    >> Jess Jackson wrote:

    >>> Hi David and John:
    >>>
    >>> I have tried that. I looked again and the "Require password to stop" is
    >>> (and has been) unchecked. But I also did not check for a screen saver. I
    >>> tried checking the screen saver and set it for one minute.
    >>>
    >>> In one minute, nothing happened. But after 10-15 minutes, the screen
    >>> went blank and required a password to get back on. It appears that it
    >>> will behave this way with or without a screen saver even with "Require
    >>> password to stop" unchecked.
    >>>
    >>> So, this appears to not be the problem. Something is over-riding the
    >>> settings on this screen.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jess

    >> BTW: I am running an nVidia adapter with dual monitors. But I can find
    >> nothing in the nVidia settings that has anything to do with screen
    >> savers and required passwords after going blank.
    >>
    >> Jess

    > There is one quirk I have seen that is so weird I would have never
    > thought of it. Right click the desktop>The configure desktop>then
    > Display>Then power control>make sure enable power management is checked,
    > and then set all 3 of the slider controls to full left or disabled and
    > see if that fixes the screen blanking. If I remember corrected if it
    > isn't checked to enable it also screws with the screen saver.
    >
    > Hope that helps
    >
    > Jim

    Hi Jim:

    I had that unchecked all along. So I tried checking the box moving them
    fully to the right (120 minutes for all three). It still does not fix
    the problem. After ~15 minutes the screen goes blank and requires a
    password.

    The screen saver, set to just 1 minute, never kicks in. It just goes
    from regular screen to blank.

    I will try "resetting" the KDE parameters later. I may also try just
    creating a new user and see if the "virgin" new user account does the
    same thing.

    Thanks,
    Jess

  2. Re: Eliminating "require password" after inactivity

    Jess Jackson inscribed thus:

    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >> Jess Jackson wrote:

    >>> BTW: I am running an nVidia adapter with dual monitors. But I can
    >>> find nothing in the nVidia settings that has anything to do with
    >>> screen savers and required passwords after going blank.
    >>>
    >>> Jess

    >> There is one quirk I have seen that is so weird I would have never
    >> thought of it. Right click the desktop>The configure desktop>then
    >> Display>Then power control>make sure enable power management is
    >> checked, and then set all 3 of the slider controls to full left or
    >> disabled and see if that fixes the screen blanking. If I remember
    >> corrected if it isn't checked to enable it also screws with the
    >> screen saver.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    > Hi Jim:
    >
    > I had that unchecked all along. So I tried checking the box moving
    > them fully to the right (120 minutes for all three). It still does
    > not fix the problem. After ~15 minutes the screen goes blank and
    > requires a password.
    >
    > The screen saver, set to just 1 minute, never kicks in. It just goes
    > from regular screen to blank.
    >
    > I will try "resetting" the KDE parameters later. I may also try just
    > creating a new user and see if the "virgin" new user account does
    > the same thing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jess

    Check the bios settings for time outs. They got me once !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

+ Reply to Thread