Format takes VERY long time - SUN

This is a discussion on Format takes VERY long time - SUN ; Hi all. I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS. The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says: "Formatting cannot be interrupted and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Format takes VERY long time

  1. Format takes VERY long time

    Hi all.
    I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS.
    The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says:

    "Formatting cannot be interrupted
    and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). Continue? yes"

    My question is: have you ever experienced such a long time to format a
    disc?
    I believe this is a "low level format", but,... it is a LONG wait!

    Thanks.

    Kind regards.




  2. Re: Format takes VERY long time

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS.
    > The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says:
    >
    > "Formatting cannot be interrupted
    > and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). Continue? yes"
    >
    > My question is: have you ever experienced such a long time to format a
    > disc?
    > I believe this is a "low level format", but,... it is a LONG wait!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    >
    >

    For scsi disks the format command does nothing but data erase and test.
    The format command is retranslated by the disk, one thinks a format is
    executed.
    I think it's the same for an ide/sata drive.
    Low level formatting is no more, except for floppies.
    /Jorgen

  3. Re: Format takes VERY long time

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS.
    > The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says:
    >
    > "Formatting cannot be interrupted
    > and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). Continue? yes"
    >
    > My question is: have you ever experienced such a long time to format a
    > disc?
    > I believe this is a "low level format", but,... it is a LONG wait!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    >
    >


    How big is the disk? 9100 minutes seems a little extreme but if the
    disk is 900 GB, it might just take that long to do a low level format.

    It's rather unusual to have to do a low level format; it's usually done
    at the factory and need not be repeated.

  4. Re: Format takes VERY long time

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS.
    > The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says:
    >
    > "Formatting cannot be interrupted
    > and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). Continue? yes"
    >
    > My question is: have you ever experienced such a long time to format a
    > disc?


    Saw something like that once on Windows, where the USB 2 flash disk was
    plugged into a motherboard USB port, and those were restricted to USB 1
    speeds.

    In other words, it may be that for some reason your system sees the
    disk as a USB 1 device. You say it's a USB 2 PCI card, does Solaris see
    it as such?

    Regards,

    David Mathog


  5. Re: Format takes VERY long time

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:20:34 -0800, David Mathog wrote:

    Thanks for all your answers.

    Actually, the whole thing is very strange.
    The disc itself is a normal 320Gb Lacie disc, and I used it for a long
    time without any problem with this WS (my Blade 2000).

    BUT, last week I unplugged it from the Blade 2000 because I needed to use
    it on my Windows PC.
    I had to reformat it to create an NTFS filesystem; after this
    operation, I can no more format it with Solaris.

    It is seen by the kernel, and indeed I can create a ZFS on it (it is very
    fast, BTW) but I can no longer have it working via UFS + the automounter.

    I don't know what to think.

    P.S. I believe it is seen as a USB 2.0 device, in fact dmesg shows:

    Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 2.0 device (usb59f,651)
    operating at hi speed (USB 2.x) on USB 2.0 root hub: storage@2, scsa2usb2 at
    bus address 2
    Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] LaCie Hard Drive
    USB 10000E000D8CDAE3 Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info]
    scsa2usb2 is /pci@8,700000/usb@2,2/storage@2 Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard
    genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info] /pci@8,700000/usb@2,2/storage@2 (scsa2usb2)
    online Nov 11 19:38:10 asgard scsi: [ID 193665 kern.info] sd1 at
    scsa2usb2: target 0 lun 0





    > Patata Kid wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >> I'm tring to format an external USB hd on my Sun Blade 2000 WS.
    >> The disc itself is attached to a USB 2 PCI card and the format says:
    >>
    >> "Formatting cannot be interrupted
    >> and takes 9188 minutes (estimated). Continue? yes"
    >>
    >> My question is: have you ever experienced such a long time to format a
    >> disc?

    >
    > Saw something like that once on Windows, where the USB 2 flash disk was
    > plugged into a motherboard USB port, and those were restricted to USB 1
    > speeds.
    >
    > In other words, it may be that for some reason your system sees the
    > disk as a USB 1 device. You say it's a USB 2 PCI card, does Solaris see
    > it as such?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog



  6. Re: Format takes VERY long time

    Patata Kid wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:20:34 -0800, David Mathog wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for all your answers.
    >
    > Actually, the whole thing is very strange.
    > The disc itself is a normal 320Gb Lacie disc, and I used it for a long
    > time without any problem with this WS (my Blade 2000).
    >
    > BUT, last week I unplugged it from the Blade 2000 because I needed to use
    > it on my Windows PC.
    > I had to reformat it to create an NTFS filesystem; after this
    > operation, I can no more format it with Solaris.
    >
    > It is seen by the kernel, and indeed I can create a ZFS on it (it is very
    > fast, BTW) but I can no longer have it working via UFS + the automounter.
    >
    > I don't know what to think.
    >
    > P.S. I believe it is seen as a USB 2.0 device, in fact dmesg shows:
    >
    > Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 2.0 device (usb59f,651)
    > operating at hi speed (USB 2.x) on USB 2.0 root hub: storage@2, scsa2usb2 at
    > bus address 2
    > Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] LaCie Hard Drive
    > USB 10000E000D8CDAE3 Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info]
    > scsa2usb2 is /pci@8,700000/usb@2,2/storage@2 Nov 11 19:38:09 asgard
    > genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info] /pci@8,700000/usb@2,2/storage@2 (scsa2usb2)
    > online Nov 11 19:38:10 asgard scsi: [ID 193665 kern.info] sd1 at
    > scsa2usb2: target 0 lun 0
    >
    >
    >

    Format on M$-Windows is equal to newfs in unix, not format in unix.
    The format you did for ntfs, just created a new filesystem not formatting.
    Modern disk do not allow low-level format !, they try to fool the OS.
    /Jörgen

+ Reply to Thread