Conserving energy - Blade 2000 - SUN

This is a discussion on Conserving energy - Blade 2000 - SUN ; All I did was remove the XVR-1000, and viola, the power usage went way down. What an energy waster that board is. I use an xvr-500, and get pretty good performance, on par with the xvr-1000. And I'm saving at ...

  1. Conserving energy - Blade 2000

    All I did was remove the XVR-1000, and viola, the power usage went way
    down. What an energy waster that board is. I use an xvr-500, and get
    pretty good performance, on par with the xvr-1000. And I'm saving at
    least 60W.

    My next goal is to get a PCI video card to work with Linux on this
    machine. I did buy a ATI Rage XL, which shows up as "3D Rage" with
    the atyfb module, but unfortunately it makes Linux crash/reboot.
    Looks like the probe routines are failing, saying there is 512kSGRAM,
    and something like "xclk out of range". I did try

    gentoo atyfb:init,nobios

    but that didn't help. It must be a slight variant of the Rage XL,
    which is handled by the Mach64 driver. It reports it as "Mach 64
    GR". Tried moving it around to various slots to no avail.

    So my goal is to have a dual-boot Solaris/Linux-Sparc, which is
    doable, because I have 2 FC drives, and I can do "boot disk1" or "boot
    disk2" at the openboot prompt. That's why an xvr-1000 wouldn't do me
    any good anyways. I want to remove all unnecessary cards from this
    machine to save electricity.

    DMM

  2. Re: Conserving energy - Blade 2000

    * hackr_d@yahoo.com:
    > All I did was remove the XVR-1000, and viola, the power usage went way
    > down. What an energy waster that board is. I use an xvr-500, and get
    > pretty good performance, on par with the xvr-1000. And I'm saving at
    > least 60W.

    How measured? You should be aware that most cheaper energy meters are
    just plain crap when it comes to measure anything else than pure
    inductive or pure capacitive loads.

    The difference between the XVR-500 and the XVR-1000 in power consumption
    is hardly 60W, especially when not running any 3D applications.

    > My next goal is to get a PCI video card to work with Linux on this
    > machine. I did buy a ATI Rage XL, which shows up as "3D Rage" with
    > the atyfb module, but unfortunately it makes Linux crash/reboot.
    > Looks like the probe routines are failing, saying there is 512kSGRAM,
    > and something like "xclk out of range". I did try

    The ATI Rage series was (and still is) plain crap. There are much better
    GPUs out there which are supported by Linux, too.

    > So my goal is to have a dual-boot Solaris/Linux-Sparc, which is
    > doable, because I have 2 FC drives, and I can do "boot disk1" or "boot
    > disk2" at the openboot prompt. That's why an xvr-1000 wouldn't do me
    > any good anyways. I want to remove all unnecessary cards from this
    > machine to save electricity.

    Sorry, but this sounds riddiculous to me. If energy consumption is a
    concern a Blade 2000 without any power save features, with outdated gfx
    cards and an inefficient 660W PSU is probably one of the worst choices
    for saving energy. Any somewhat modern x86 system is much more
    efficient, uses less power and provides a much higher performance than
    your SB2000.

    Benjamin

  3. Re: Conserving energy - Blade 2000

    On Nov 5, 1:27*am, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * hack...@yahoo.com:

    > > So my goal is to have a dual-boot Solaris/Linux-Sparc, which is
    > > doable, because I have 2 FC drives, and I can do "boot disk1" or "boot
    > > disk2" at the openboot prompt. *That's why an xvr-1000 wouldn't do me
    > > any good anyways. *I want to remove all unnecessary cards from this
    > > machine to save electricity.

    > Sorry, but this sounds riddiculous to me. If energy consumption is a
    > concern a Blade 2000 without any power save features, with outdated gfx
    > cards and an inefficient 660W PSU is probably one of the worst choices
    > for saving energy. Any somewhat modern x86 system is much more
    > efficient, uses less power and provides a much higher performance than
    > your SB2000.

    That's one direction I was looking to be heading in the future. Maybe
    something like any Antec case that has the Earthwatts. I saw these
    cheap no-name cases on Ebay. They look to be sold under Broadway com
    corp or some such, 939 Black. It's the one with the "mega side
    fan!". They look flimsy as heck, but I was thinking about using
    something cheap like an ECS 7050 (motherboard) anyways. I've already
    stripped a screw hole on one of my PCI slot covers on the back of my
    Blade, so I don't really care about steel thickness. Even those thick
    steel cases seem to get banged all out of shape over the years, so why
    not? I've read some bad things about the Okia 550W power supplies
    too, but some were saying they aren't too bad. They've got Sleeve-
    bearing fans, but IMO choice of bearings doesn't really matter too
    much with those little fans. I've read about some that have had
    excellent luck with sleeve-bearing fans. I've had a lot of more
    expensive ball-bearing fans made by Antec that went bad in a few
    years.

    DMM

+ Reply to Thread