automount and permissions? - SUN

This is a discussion on automount and permissions? - SUN ; [ Article reposted from comp.unix.solaris ] [ Author was Jarosław Rafa ] [ Posted on Mon, 03 Nov 2008 00:11:34 +0100 ] Hello, is it possible to change the default permissions of an autofs mount point? I have some automounted ...

  1. automount and permissions?

    [ Article reposted from comp.unix.solaris ]
    [ Author was Jarosław Rafa ]
    [ Posted on Mon, 03 Nov 2008 00:11:34 +0100 ]

    Hello,
    is it possible to change the default permissions of an autofs mount point?
    I have some automounted directory, say be it /var/ftp/download, with the
    following entry in /etc/auto_master:

    /var/ftp/download ftp_down -nobrowse

    (/etc/ftp_down is of course the file specifying the detailed automount
    map). The problem is that the mount point /var/ftp/download is always
    created with permissions r-xr-xr-x no matter what I try, so the user can
    always list the contents of /var/ftp/download with "ls" and view the
    names of the currently mounted subdirectories.
    I want the users to be UNABLE to list the contents of the directory
    /var/ftp/download and view what subdirectories are mounted within it.
    Simply said, I want the /var/ftp/download directory to have permissions
    --x--x--x, not r-xr-xr-x. Can this be achieved in any way?
    --
    Regards,
    Jaroslaw Rafa

  2. Re: automount and permissions?

    In article ,
    Jaroslaw Rafa wrote:

    > [ Article reposted from comp.unix.solaris ]
    > [ Author was Jaros˝aw Rafa ]
    > [ Posted on Mon, 03 Nov 2008 00:11:34 +0100 ]
    >
    > Hello,
    > is it possible to change the default permissions of an autofs mount point?
    > I have some automounted directory, say be it /var/ftp/download, with the
    > following entry in /etc/auto_master:
    >
    > /var/ftp/download ftp_down -nobrowse
    >
    > (/etc/ftp_down is of course the file specifying the detailed automount
    > map). The problem is that the mount point /var/ftp/download is always
    > created with permissions r-xr-xr-x no matter what I try, so the user can
    > always list the contents of /var/ftp/download with "ls" and view the
    > names of the currently mounted subdirectories.
    > I want the users to be UNABLE to list the contents of the directory
    > /var/ftp/download and view what subdirectories are mounted within it.
    > Simply said, I want the /var/ftp/download directory to have permissions
    > --x--x--x, not r-xr-xr-x. Can this be achieved in any way?

    why did you multipost this. See replies in the Solaris group. Your
    answer will still be "automount doesn't work the way you want. Rethink
    your use of it with ftp"

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

+ Reply to Thread