10G CX4 ethernet for X4500 - SUN

This is a discussion on 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500 - SUN ; I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the: Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X Are there other alternatives that I've missed? (I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris ...

  1. 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter
    for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the:

    Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X

    Are there other alternatives that I've missed?

    (I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris driver
    support required)

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  2. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Peter Eriksson wrote:
    > I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter
    > for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the:
    >
    > Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X
    >
    > Are there other alternatives that I've missed?
    >
    > (I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris driver
    > support required)
    >
    > - Peter

    I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

    The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    based off a similar chipset:

    http://www.sun.com/products/networki...el/support.xml

    Intel had/has a good developer/evaluation program that might be worth
    checking out if you want to try out a costly card, and just send it back
    if it doesn't cut it for you.

  3. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Cydrome Leader writes:

    >I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    >http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

    >The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    >based off a similar chipset:

    I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
    it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  4. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Peter Eriksson wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader writes:
    >
    >>I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

    >>http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

    >>The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
    >>based off a similar chipset:

    > I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
    > it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...
    >
    > - Peter

    Good point- that's card is a monster in size.

    It's really too bad nobody has tiny xenpak modules that take copper. I've
    read about super short distance 10GBe over cat6+, but never seen the
    modules, if they exist.

    The full sized xenpak transcievers, copper or fiber are huge monsters.
    That CX4 cable is like working with a serial cable from IBM from the
    1980s.

  5. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
    drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
    company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):

    *) ChelsIO
    *) Myricom
    *) NetEffect
    *) Neterion
    *) NetXen
    *) ServerEngines

    I suspect that slapping "www." in front of those and ".com" at the end
    will have a good chance of finding their websites.

    rick jones

  6. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
    > drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
    > company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
    >
    > *) ChelsIO
    > *) Myricom

    http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

    I didn't know they made ethernet stuff- though it was all that infiniband
    clusting stuff.

  7. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Cydrome Leader writes:

    >Rick Jones wrote:
    >> In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
    >> drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
    >> company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
    >>
    >> *) ChelsIO
    >> *) Myricom

    >http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

    Wrong bus though (needs to be PCI-X, not PCI-e :-)...

    Only Neterion seems to make a suitable adapter of the makers in that list.

    Ah well..

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  8. Re: 10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

    Peter Eriksson wrote:
    > Wrong bus though (needs to be PCI-X, not PCI-e :-)...

    I'd not realized it was only a pair of low-profile 133 MHz PCI-X slots
    in the X4500:

    http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/specs.xml#anchor3

    That being the case, no matter how much "oomph" you have to drive the
    card and how much bandwidth to the slot, being 133 MHz PCI-X will
    limit you to a total of no more than about 7 Gbit/s and change total.

    Of course, that does presume you have enough "oomph" to drive to that
    level. A bit of quick netperf testing should show that one way or the
    other

    > Only Neterion seems to make a suitable adapter of the makers in that
    > list.

    I've played with a low-profile Neterion card before, I cannot recall
    if it was in a system running Solaris or not, but Neterion's
    Support/download page utters the word Solaris.

    After going back and looking at my list, I think that Intel might have
    had a low-profile PCI-X 10G NIC at one point.

    rick jones