ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0 - SUN

This is a discussion on ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0 - SUN ; Hello, Recently, I have following error messages to console from 2 sunfire computers, v240 and v210. Error message: ===== ide0: reset timed-out, status=-xd0 hda: staus timeout, status-0xd0 { Busy } hda: drive not ready for command end_request: I/O error dev ...

  1. ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    =====
    ide0: reset timed-out, status=-xd0
    hda: staus timeout, status-0xd0 { Busy }
    hda: drive not ready for command
    end_request: I/O error dev 03:01 (hda) sector 262360
    EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2-write-inode: unable to read
    inode block - inode=16650, block=32795
    =====

    I don't think I have any ide drive connected, both computers have
    2x73GB SCSI disks install.
    One has DVD drive, another one doesn't. Also I don't think my computer
    has EXT2 file system.
    I also have another v210, that works fine without error messages.

    Anyone has the same problem? or anyone knows the reason?
    TIA,
    KAKU

  2. Re: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    KAKU wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Recently, I have following error messages to console from 2 sunfire
    > computers, v240 and v210.
    >
    > Error message:
    > =====
    > ide0: reset timed-out, status=-xd0
    > hda: staus timeout, status-0xd0 { Busy }
    > hda: drive not ready for command
    > end_request: I/O error dev 03:01 (hda) sector 262360
    > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2-write-inode: unable to read
    > inode block - inode=16650, block=32795
    > =====

    these are linux/garbage errors. ext2 is linux filesystem.

    Are you looking at logs from the correct machines?

  3. Re: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    On Oct 25, 8:55*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > KAKU wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Recently, I have following error messages to console from 2 sunfire
    > > computers, v240 and v210.

    > > Error message:
    > > =====
    > > ide0: reset timed-out, status=-xd0
    > > hda: staus timeout, status-0xd0 { Busy }
    > > hda: drive not ready for command
    > > end_request: I/O error dev 03:01 (hda) sector 262360
    > > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2-write-inode: unable to read
    > > inode block - inode=16650, block=32795
    > > =====

    > these are linux/garbage errors. ext2 is linux filesystem.
    >
    > Are you looking at logs from the correct machines?

    Thank you - Cydrome Leader,
    The system is running Solaris, one is Solaris 9 and anothe one is
    Solaris 10,
    So that I felt very strange. Could it be CDROM? But one of the SUNs
    doesn't have a CDROM.

    I also tried to look into the log files, but cannot find such logs in /
    var/adm and /var/log.
    Can you please let me know where the console errors are logged to?

  4. Re: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    KAKU wrote:

    >> these are linux/garbage errors. ext2 is linux filesystem.
    >>
    >> Are you looking at logs from the correct machines?

    > Thank you - Cydrome Leader,
    > The system is running Solaris, one is Solaris 9 and anothe one is
    > Solaris 10,
    > So that I felt very strange. Could it be CDROM? But one of the SUNs
    > doesn't have a CDROM.

    Yeah but he's right, I don't think any Solaris does anything with EXT2-fs.

    Best guess I have is there is linux box "near by"?

    Maybe it's sending the syslog messages to that (those) because they/it is
    defined as a loghost?

    I'm pretty sure the message is coming from somewhere else, is why you can't
    find it in the /var/log or /var/adm directories. If you are using ipfilter
    on those machines for a firewall, try blocking port 514/udp and see if that
    stops it.

    -bruce
    bje@ripco.com

  5. Re: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    KAKU wrote:
    > On Oct 25, 8:55?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> KAKU wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Recently, I have following error messages to console from 2 sunfire
    >> > computers, v240 and v210.

    >> > Error message:
    >> > =====
    >> > ide0: reset timed-out, status=-xd0
    >> > hda: staus timeout, status-0xd0 { Busy }
    >> > hda: drive not ready for command
    >> > end_request: I/O error dev 03:01 (hda) sector 262360
    >> > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2-write-inode: unable to read
    >> > inode block - inode=16650, block=32795
    >> > =====

    >> these are linux/garbage errors. ext2 is linux filesystem.
    >>
    >> Are you looking at logs from the correct machines?

    > Thank you - Cydrome Leader,
    > The system is running Solaris, one is Solaris 9 and anothe one is
    > Solaris 10,
    > So that I felt very strange. Could it be CDROM? But one of the SUNs
    > doesn't have a CDROM.
    >
    > I also tried to look into the log files, but cannot find such logs in /
    > var/adm and /var/log.
    > Can you please let me know where the console errors are logged to?

    they'll end up in /var/adm/messages, and this file rotates, so it may be
    messages.0 or something like that, or just gone all together.

    Wherever these messages are coming from, they're not solaris errors.

  6. Re: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

    On Oct 29, 10:48*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > KAKU wrote:

    > >> these are linux/garbage errors. ext2 is linux filesystem.

    > >> Are you looking at logs from the correct machines?

    > > Thank you - Cydrome Leader,
    > > The system is running Solaris, one is Solaris 9 and anothe one is
    > > Solaris 10,
    > > So that I felt very strange. Could it be CDROM? But one of the SUNs
    > > doesn't have a CDROM.

    > > I also tried to look into the log files, but cannot find such logs in /
    > > var/adm and /var/log.
    > > Can you please let me know where the console errors are logged to?

    > they'll end up in /var/adm/messages, and this file rotates, so it may be
    > messages.0 or something like that, or just gone all together.
    >
    > Wherever these messages are coming from, they're not solaris errors.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Cydrome and Bruce,

    I finally found the problem by accident.
    Basically it's an attack to rpc.ypupdate slammer exploit.
    Please refer to this page (sorry it's Chinese).
    http://bbs.17kf8.com/archiver/?tid-6063.html

    1) first I found a new user in my passwd file. I had no memory when I
    added it.
    sunday:x:0:1::/dev/sunday:/bin/csh

    2) I tracked down it's home directory /dev/sunday, and found the ****
    # ls -l /dev/sunday
    total 88
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 20480 Mar 19 2008 2008-ypk2008.tar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 261 Mar 19 2008 README
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root other 15920 Aug 29 2004 gem
    -rw------- 1 root root 2245 Mar 19 2008 ypk.c
    -rw------- 1 root root 3213 Apr 5 2000 ypupdate_prot.h

    3) I search on the web by 2008-ypk2008.tar and found the page above.

    4) I found a remote user logged in the box using 'who' command
    sunday pts/2 Oct 26 18:35
    (189107129243.user.veloxzone.com.br)
    very dangerous, it's logged in as root privileges.

    5) fortunately, there is no 'ypupdated' process running on my box,
    I guess that's because I am running Solaris 9.

    6) I deleted the user manually from passwd and shadow.

    7) I killed the login process from that user.

    8) the error message stopped.

    Thanks very much for your help and tips.
    And hope this information is helpful for others.

    KAKU

+ Reply to Thread