Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor - SUN

This is a discussion on Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor - SUN ; Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank be sufficient? Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM be worthwhile? Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210? ...

  1. Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor

    Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank
    be sufficient?
    Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM
    be worthwhile?
    Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210?

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  2. Re: Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:16:12 +1100, Barry OGrady wrote:

    >Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank
    >be sufficient?
    >Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM
    >be worthwhile?
    >Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210?

    To answer the last question myself, the docs says it will work in a Sunfire V210,
    so that might be interesting.

    >Barry

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  3. Re: Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor

    Barry OGrady wrote:
    > Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank
    > be sufficient?
    > Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM
    > be worthwhile?
    > Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210?
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    I've upgraded more than 20 V210 from 2gb to dual cpu & 4gb, works well.
    The upgrade i did included a second disk mounted as /var/tmp.
    So automated scripts logging in /var/tmp on a different disk.
    the upgrade resulted to 4 times better performance.

    have not tried the SunPCi3 card.
    /Jorgen

  4. Re: Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor

    "Jorgen Moquist" wrote in message
    > Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank
    >> be sufficient?
    >> Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM
    >> be worthwhile?
    >> Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210?
    >>
    >> Barry
    >> =====
    >> Home page
    >> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    > I've upgraded more than 20 V210 from 2gb to dual cpu & 4gb, works well.
    > The upgrade i did included a second disk mounted as /var/tmp.
    > So automated scripts logging in /var/tmp on a different disk.
    > the upgrade resulted to 4 times better performance.

    Thanks for thst. Did you need to change any settings or was it sufficient to
    install the second cpu and ram in the other bank?

    I might be able to get another single cpu V210 but would it be worthwhile
    sacrificing a working machine to make one out of the two?

    > have not tried the SunPCi3 card.

    The V210 is listed as one that can use the SunPCi3 card.
    I have one working in a Sunblade 150 running Windows XP.

    > /Jorgen

  5. Re: Upgrading Sunfire V210 to dual processor

    Barry Ogrady wrote:
    > "Jorgen Moquist" wrote in message
    >> Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>> Will adding the second processor and putting RAM in the second bank
    >>> be sufficient?
    >>> Would the move from single to dual processor and 1 gig to 2 gig RAM
    >>> be worthwhile?
    >>> Also, will a SunPCi3 card work in Sunfire V210?
    >>>
    >>> Barry
    >>> =====
    >>> Home page
    >>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    >> I've upgraded more than 20 V210 from 2gb to dual cpu & 4gb, works well.
    >> The upgrade i did included a second disk mounted as /var/tmp.
    >> So automated scripts logging in /var/tmp on a different disk.
    >> the upgrade resulted to 4 times better performance.

    > Thanks for thst. Did you need to change any settings or was it sufficient to
    > install the second cpu and ram in the other bank?

    no change, power down, install and boot.
    cpu speed are ment to be equal, you can fit a higher clocked cpu to a
    lower, cpu0 1000mhz cpu1 1336mhz they both run at 1000mhz.
    So dont fit a 1002mhz as second to a 1336mhz.
    Speed is written on the chip like -1228.
    $ psrinfo -v # shows cpu speed.
    jumpers on the mobo selects system/cpu clock.

    > I might be able to get another single cpu V210 but would it be worthwhile
    > sacrificing a working machine to make one out of the two?

    Well thats all up to you.
    /Jörgen

+ Reply to Thread