Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued - SUN ; I managed to get a 512 MB memory from a working Sunblade 150 so it now works, sort of. It outputs to the display and attempts to boot Solaris from the internal hard drive. It reports errors on the file ...

  1. Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued

    I managed to get a 512 MB memory from a working Sunblade 150
    so it now works, sort of.
    It outputs to the display and attempts to boot Solaris from the
    internal hard drive. It reports errors on the file system and won't
    complete boot, so I figured I should do a fresh install.
    I don't have a Sun keyboard so I was unable to get to the
    OK prompt. I then connected a PC running a terminal program
    to the serial and started the Sunblade with no keyboard connected.
    I issued a break from the PC keyboard and got the OK prompt.
    Success at last, or so I thought.
    I now find I can't type anything at the OK prompt.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  2. Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued

    Barry OGrady writes:
    >I managed to get a 512 MB memory from a working Sunblade 150
    >so it now works, sort of.
    >It outputs to the display and attempts to boot Solaris from the
    >internal hard drive. It reports errors on the file system and won't
    >complete boot, so I figured I should do a fresh install.

    Probably should just so that you know whats on there...

    >I don't have a Sun keyboard so I was unable to get to the
    >OK prompt. I then connected a PC running a terminal program
    >to the serial and started the Sunblade with no keyboard connected.
    >I issued a break from the PC keyboard and got the OK prompt.
    >Success at last, or so I thought.
    >I now find I can't type anything at the OK prompt.
    >Any ideas? Thanks.

    Check the flow-control settings on your terminal software, adjust them.
    Turn off RTS/CTS if its on, and/or turnoff any other flow control.
    Check your serial cabling, make sure its good.
    Try a different term program.

  3. Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued

    * Barry OGrady:
    > I don't have a Sun keyboard so I was unable to get to the
    > OK prompt.

    When you switch on, the system emits a beep after a few seconds. If you
    hear this beep press the power switch twice (timing is critical, you
    must be very fast!). This overrides the settings in OFW temporarily and
    brings you to the OK prompt.

    Benjamin

  4. Re: Getting a Sunblade 150 to work - Continued

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:31:52 +0100, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    >* Barry OGrady:
    >> I don't have a Sun keyboard so I was unable to get to the
    >> OK prompt.

    >When you switch on, the system emits a beep after a few seconds. If you
    >hear this beep press the power switch twice (timing is critical, you
    >must be very fast!). This overrides the settings in OFW temporarily and
    >brings you to the OK prompt.

    Thank you. That worked.

    >Benjamin

    Barry