How to add a package that isn't in package format? - SUN

This is a discussion on How to add a package that isn't in package format? - SUN ; How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package format? Thanks. Daryl Rose...

  1. How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package
    format?

    Thanks.

    Daryl Rose

  2. Re: How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    rosede writes:
    >How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package
    >format?

    Well, then its not a package you can pkg-add is it?

    You'd copy the files into place, or run its installer program, or do a
    'make install', or whatever else is in place for it to install itself.

  3. Re: How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    rosede wrote:
    > How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package
    > format?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Daryl Rose

    I believe that you must put each piece in its proper place by hand! Of
    course this supposes that you know the proper place for each piece.

    And a "package that hasn't been put into package format" is a
    contradiction in terms. One is inclined to question whether it really
    is a "package", really is supplied by Sun, whether it is free of malware
    of various kinds, etc.

  4. Re: How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    On Oct 22, 7:45*am, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > rosede writes:
    > >How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package
    > >format?

    > Well, then its not a package you can pkg-add is it?
    >
    > You'd copy the files into place, or run its installer program, or do a
    > 'make install', or whatever else is in place for it to install itself.

    One of the "packages" that is in question is: SUNWpmu. This is a Sun
    package, but it is not in the .pkg format.
    I found it on the Solaris CD, but as I said it is not in the .pkg
    format, and there is no install command associated with it.

    Thanks.

    Daryl

  5. Re: How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    rosede writes:
    >On Oct 22, 7:45=A0am, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >> rosede writes:
    >> >How does a person add a Sun package that hasn't been put into package
    >> >format?

    >> Well, then its not a package you can pkg-add is it?
    >>
    >> You'd copy the files into place, or run its installer program, or do a
    >> 'make install', or whatever else is in place for it to install itself.

    >One of the "packages" that is in question is: SUNWpmu. This is a Sun
    >package, but it is not in the .pkg format.
    >I found it on the Solaris CD, but as I said it is not in the .pkg
    >format, and there is no install command associated with it.

    SUNW packages don't end in .pkg.

    ie. assuming you have 'cd' into the directory in question where the
    packages are...

    pfexec pkgadd -d . SUNWpmu

    This will set package directory to . to look in instead of /var/spook/pkg
    and look for package name SUNWpmu.

    If you omit the last part, it'll go through and prompt you if you want
    to install every package it finds in directory .

    You can specify a directory path instead of . as well (ie. /cdrom/...)

  6. Re: How to add a package that isn't in package format?

    On Oct 22, 10:21*am, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > rosede writes:

    > >> Well, then its not a package you can pkg-add is it?

    > >> You'd copy the files into place, or run its installer program, or do a
    > >> 'make install', or whatever else is in place for it to install itself.

    > >One of the "packages" that is in question is: SUNWpmu. *This is a Sun
    > >package, but it is not in the .pkg format.
    > >I found it on the Solaris CD, but as I said it is not in the .pkg
    > >format, and there is no install command associated with it.

    > SUNW packages don't end in .pkg.
    >
    > ie. assuming you have 'cd' into the directory in question where the
    > packages are...
    >
    > pfexec pkgadd -d . SUNWpmu
    >
    > This will set package directory to . to look in instead of /var/spook/pkg
    > and look for package name SUNWpmu.
    >
    > If you omit the last part, it'll go through and prompt you if you want
    > to install every package it finds in directory .
    >
    > You can specify a directory path instead of . as well (ie. /cdrom/...)

    Well, this is the direction that I was looking for when I first
    posted, however, it fails for me.

    pkgadd errors with this message: pkgadd: can't get real path

    I've tried replacing the . with the absolute path, but same error. Any
    other thoughts?

    Daryl

+ Reply to Thread