SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS
Vol 128 Issue 3 2008-10-17 Article 20715 from section "Software"

http://blogs.sun.com/shanti/entry/cool_stack_roadmap

Recently, Sun released [url
"http://cooltools.sunsource.net/coolstack/" "Cool Stack 1.3.1"].
Shani, a Senior Staff Engineer in the Perormance & Applications
Engineering Group (PAE), reports, "This was the last release that was
built to work on releases as old as Solaris 10 01/06 (Update 1).
Going forward, future versions of the stack will only be supported on
newer Solaris 10 updates. So I'd like to urge everyone who is running
older releases to please schedule their systems for upgrade. We
highly recommend that you upgrade to at least Solaris 10 01/08
(Update 5) as it has many performance, security and other fixes."

He continues, "to enable a unified stack, we are now transitioning
Cool Stack to Sun Web Stack. This new stack was announced in OSCON in
July. It will be very similar to Cool Stack in that it will be
separately downloadable but it will be a full-fledged product in that
customers who want production support, can now purchase it. The stack
will continue to be available free of charge with limited support via
a forum."

The first version of Sun Web Stack will be 1.4 (keeping the Cool
Stack versioning in place) and should be available in November.

Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20715

Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you
via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections that you
select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at
http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe
Free 4-week trial is available.
(c) 2008 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com