SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install - SUN

This is a discussion on SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install - SUN ; Greetings! A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up: among other problems SCA LVD disk was now seen as having 8 identical LUNs using probe-scsi. There are 3 other, older, singel-ended disks, all showing up ...

  1. SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    Greetings!

    A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up: among other
    problems SCA LVD disk was now seen as having 8 identical LUNs using
    probe-scsi. There are 3 other, older, singel-ended disks, all showing
    up normally. New disk showed up normally as a single LUN 0 entry, but
    putting both on the SCSI bus made both LVD disks show up as multiple
    LUNs.

    The system was running Solaris 9 which had been installed from the
    net. I managed to boot it off the net _once_ using an unaltered boot
    server configuration that I had used previously. Since then, every
    reboot attempts ends in the BAD TRAP error (type=1, text error), which
    scrolls off the screen very quickly.

    Frequently, BAD TRAP is an indication of hardware problems, BUT the
    system can boot off a Solaris 2.6 installation on an older disk (one
    of the old SE disks) with no errors, with the new disk attached.

    Does anyone have a solution or an idea of how to approach this
    problem?

  2. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    gerard.c.tromp@gmail.com writes:

    >Greetings!

    >A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up: among other
    >problems SCA LVD disk was now seen as having 8 identical LUNs using
    >probe-scsi. There are 3 other, older, singel-ended disks, all showing
    >up normally. New disk showed up normally as a single LUN 0 entry, but
    >putting both on the SCSI bus made both LVD disks show up as multiple
    >LUNs.

    On the new disk, you need to remove the SCSI target selectors.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  3. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    gerard.c.tromp@gmail.com wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up:

    No wonder Sun has financial problems building desktop hardware that can
    last that long. When is it from? 1993 or so?

  4. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    > Perhaps I shouldn't have given my SS1+ and SS2 away?

    I actually had someone asking for ram to fit those last month.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  5. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    Time to dig out the old Sun 386i/150XP perhaps? :-)

  6. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    > Time to dig out the old Sun 386i/150XP perhaps? :-)

    Absolutely, there are quite a lot of folk who collect things like that.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  7. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    gerard.c.tromp@gmail.com wrote:

    |> A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up: among other
    |> problems SCA LVD disk was now seen as having 8 identical LUNs using
    |> probe-scsi.

    This seems to be normal behaviour for some drives. My two ST318416N
    (50 pin narrow SE though) seem perfectly OK but also show this way.

    --

    "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
    "I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

  8. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    John Burns wrote:

    >> Time to dig out the old Sun 386i/150XP perhaps? :-)

    > Absolutely, there are quite a lot of folk who collect things like that.

    In 2003, NetBSD developers were asking for one to use in porting NetBSD.
    If somebody has one they'd allow remote root access to or even give away,
    please send mail to .

    --

    "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
    "I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

  9. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    v_borchert@despammed.com (Volker Borchert) writes:

    > John Burns wrote:
    >
    >>> Time to dig out the old Sun 386i/150XP perhaps? :-)

    >> Absolutely, there are quite a lot of folk who collect things like that.

    > In 2003, NetBSD developers were asking for one to use in porting NetBSD.
    > If somebody has one they'd allow remote root access to or even give away,
    > please send mail to .

    That was five years ago. Is there still an interest?

    I have one buried under a lot of stuff in the garage. It hasn't been
    fired up in many years, so I will most likely have to replace the
    NVRAM battery at least.

    I also saved the motherboard from a 386i/250 when it was junked at
    work, probably around the y2k turnover.

    If there is genuine interest I might dig it out and make it available
    on the net.

    Thomas

  10. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    On Oct 9, 5:28*am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > gerard.c.tr...@gmail.com writes:
    > >Greetings!
    > >A few days ago, the boot disk of a SS-20 went belly up: among other
    > >problems SCA LVD disk was now seen as having 8 identical LUNs using
    > >probe-scsi. There are 3 other, older, singel-ended disks, all showing
    > >up normally. New disk showed up normally as a single LUN 0 entry, but
    > >putting both on the SCSI bus made both LVD disks show up as multiple
    > >LUNs.

    > On the new disk, you need to remove the SCSI target selectors.
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. *They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.

    Hello Casper!

    (Haven't been hanging out in the sun newsgroups, but I remember your
    frequent posts from many years ago).

    I did not write that I had of course dealt appropriately with the SCSI
    target selectors.

    Turns out this boot problem was a networking problem (not sure what
    precisely yet). I tried all combinations of external disks, no
    external disks, etc., _all_ ended with the BAD TRAP. Finally, I stuck
    both the boot server and client into the same switch without any
    internet connection and "Hey Presto" we got beyond the point of
    failure and the installation proceeded normally.

    I now suspect that the NIDS and other monitoring tools used by our
    network adminstrators reset connections and left the kernel with
    partial instructions. It at any rate explains why the system gave no
    errors when booting from the backup OS disk using the same hardware
    including the new disk, whereas it crashed no matter what disk
    configuration I used.

    Regarding all the comments about the SS20. Yes its old (1995), but it
    still runs beautifully and works quite satisfactorily. There are quite
    a few tasks that don't require a huge amount of compute power -- why
    trash something when it works?

    Gerard

  11. Re: SparcStation-20 BAD TRAP type=1 error on boot net - install

    gerard.c.tromp@gmail.com writes:

    >Regarding all the comments about the SS20. Yes its old (1995), but it
    >still runs beautifully and works quite satisfactorily. There are quite
    >a few tasks that don't require a huge amount of compute power -- why
    >trash something when it works?

    But for the same amount of "compute power", surely you can use something
    that uses quite a bit less power?

    (The question is, of course, how much does a new machine cost,
    environmentally, as opposed to an older system)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread