U10/440 won't start up, errors in POST - SUN

This is a discussion on U10/440 won't start up, errors in POST - SUN ; I'm having a problem with a U10 440MHz which won't come up to screen. I put it into POST and stuck an ASCII terminal onto it. After it tells me what simms are present it says "data access error" and ...

  1. U10/440 won't start up, errors in POST

    I'm having a problem with a U10 440MHz which won't come up to screen.

    I put it into POST and stuck an ASCII terminal onto it. After it tells
    me what simms are present it says "data access error" and stops.

    I've tried other simms and tried them in the other bank but it makes no
    difference. Also tried other cpus.

    Any ideas?

    TIA :-)

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  2. Re: U10/440 won't start up, errors in POST

    "John Burns" wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with a U10 440MHz which won't come up to screen.
    >
    > I put it into POST and stuck an ASCII terminal onto it. After it tells
    > me what simms are present it says "data access error" and stops.
    >
    > I've tried other simms and tried them in the other bank but it makes no
    > difference. Also tried other cpus.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA :-)

    There was a whole long thread from December 2007 titled:

    Ultra 10 - no output to monitor

    I think the solution was to pull all the PCI cards as it seemed to be giving
    the:

    Data Access Error

    while probing whatever (SCSI card?) was in PCI slot 1.

    You can also try pulling the Creator card if you have one in the machine and
    try seeing if you can get video from the onboard VGA.
    If pulling the PCI cards and Creator card doesn't solve the problem, then
    chances are it's the motherboard.

    You already seem to have tried different CPUs and memory so that seems to be
    ruled out.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread