Sun T5120 - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun T5120 - SUN ; Anyone got experience with the Sun T5120? I want to ugrade from a Sun V240 which we've been using as a CVS server for a number of development groups (programming). In our data center we can specify sun/sparc/solaris or x86/redhat ...

  1. Sun T5120

    Anyone got experience with the Sun T5120?

    I want to ugrade from a Sun V240 which we've been using as a CVS
    server for a number of development groups (programming).

    In our data center we can specify sun/sparc/solaris or x86/redhat but
    NOT Solaris x86

    With Sun largely getting out of the small sparc server market, the
    "CoolThreads" machines are the only way I have to stick with Solaris
    (which i want to do due to the large body of experienced Solaris
    system administrators we have). Ok it is still possible to get the
    Netra 240, but we don't buy netra for our data center (not that I
    think it would be a problem, but I don't think they'd go for this).

    Anybody comment on the reality of this machine vs. the marketing
    material?

    The workload will be:

    - subversion running out of inetd for check-in/check-out.

    - rsync or similar (svnsyncv) jobs regularly syncing the
    repository files over to a NAS for mirroring

    - nightly backups over the network to a legato backup server

    - Apache/SSL/CGI scripts for repository history browsing

    There will be (up to) hundreds of developers using the machine
    simultaneously, but most transactions will be small (check-in a few
    files, pull a few updates from the repository).

    All comments based on real (hands-on) experience with this or similar
    coolthreads hardware welcome.

    Chris

    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

  2. Re: Sun T5120

    On Sep 30, 6:45*pm, Chris Morgan wrote:
    > Anyone got experience with the Sun T5120?
    >
    > I want to ugrade from a Sun V240 which we've been using as a CVS
    > server for a number of development groups (programming).
    >
    > In our data center we can specify sun/sparc/solaris or x86/redhat but
    > NOT Solaris x86
    >
    > With Sun largely getting out of the small sparc server market, the
    > "CoolThreads" machines are the only way I have to stick with Solaris
    > (which i want to do due to the large body of experienced Solaris
    > system administrators we have). Ok it is still possible to get the
    > Netra 240, but we don't buy netra for our data center (not that I
    > think it would be a problem, but I don't think they'd go for this).
    >
    > Anybody comment on the reality of this machine vs. the marketing
    > material?
    >
    > The workload will be:
    >
    > - subversion running out of inetd for check-in/check-out.
    >
    > - rsync or similar (svnsyncv) *jobs regularly syncing the
    > * repository files over to a NAS for mirroring
    >
    > - nightly backups over the network to a legato backup server
    >
    > - Apache/SSL/CGI scripts for repository history browsing
    >
    > There will be (up to) hundreds of developers using the machine
    > simultaneously, but most transactions will be small (check-in a few
    > files, pull a few updates from the repository).
    >
    > All comments based on real (hands-on) experience with this or similar
    > coolthreads hardware welcome.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > --
    > Chris Morgan
    > * *"Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in
    > * * real rule revisions that are irreversible"
    >
    > * * * * * * * * - anonymous correspondent

    Hi,
    We have a T5140, which I think is pretty much a 2 socket version of a
    T5120. Basic rundown of the machine is this:

    If your tasks are highly multithreaded or multiprocess, the
    performance is extremely good. If your tasks are single threaded,
    performance is extremely bad.

    Apache will run great, as it forks processes and will use as many
    cores as you've got, the only problem might occur if each forked
    process is very processor intensive, but it does not sound like it is.

    I'm not sure if Subversion uses a lot of threads or processes, but I
    think the limiting factor with that might be network rather than
    processor.

    Obviously YMMV but it sounds like a CoolThreads box would serve you
    pretty well, the only problems you might have is if you demand a lot
    of performance from a single core, and then it can suck pretty bad,
    but for 100s of users all doing different things in different
    processes, then I think it would run pretty well.

    All the best

    Garry

  3. Re: Sun T5120

    "Chris Morgan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Anyone got experience with the Sun T5120?
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > --
    > Chris Morgan
    > "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in
    > real rule revisions that are irreversible"
    >
    > - anonymous correspondent

    We've made same experience like thegman.

    Single thread performance very poor, multithread performace good.

    We had to change from T5240 to SUN Fire V240 because of poor single thread
    performance.

    Heinz

+ Reply to Thread