Console access to Sun Fire V880 - SUN

This is a discussion on Console access to Sun Fire V880 - SUN ; Hi, yesterday we received a Sun Fire V880 server here, which is being used as a development and test machine. This is the first SPARC we have since years, because we are usually using i386 machines. The machine was previously ...

  1. Console access to Sun Fire V880

    Hi,

    yesterday we received a Sun Fire V880 server here, which is being used
    as a development and test machine. This is the first SPARC we have
    since years, because we are usually using i386 machines. The machine
    was previously in use by someone else and I have no access to the
    previous users. In particular, I have no idea about network
    configuration and stuff like that. No problem, I thought, lets start
    with a clean installation.

    Obviously, I need console access to do the installation. Inspection
    showed, that there seem to be two serial lines on the machines back:
    One with 25 pins, female, and one with an RJ45 connector. Of course,
    nothing was delivered with the machine. Sun admins are most possibly
    supposed to have such stuff. I managed to obtain a connector from RJ45
    to my laptops 9 pin, male connector, an RJ45 cable and a connector
    from RJ45 to 25 pins, female. Nothing crossed, or stuff like that,
    AFAIK.

    Unfortunately, I was absolutely unable to get a boot prompt from the
    machine. I tried both serial connectors, I tried Hyperterminal
    (Windows) and picocom (Linux), varying device names (COM1, COM2, ...
    or /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, ...) with no success.

    Any ideas, what I might be doing wrong? Or other ways to perform the
    installation?

    Thanks,

    Jochen

  2. Re: Console access to Sun Fire V880

    In article
    <7ee43c4c-ed82-4ab9-bb3c-dc6ea8bd643d@q9g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > yesterday we received a Sun Fire V880 server here, which is being used
    > as a development and test machine. This is the first SPARC we have
    > since years, because we are usually using i386 machines. The machine
    > was previously in use by someone else and I have no access to the
    > previous users. In particular, I have no idea about network
    > configuration and stuff like that. No problem, I thought, lets start
    > with a clean installation.
    >
    > Obviously, I need console access to do the installation. Inspection
    > showed, that there seem to be two serial lines on the machines back:
    > One with 25 pins, female, and one with an RJ45 connector. Of course,
    > nothing was delivered with the machine. Sun admins are most possibly
    > supposed to have such stuff. I managed to obtain a connector from RJ45
    > to my laptops 9 pin, male connector, an RJ45 cable and a connector
    > from RJ45 to 25 pins, female. Nothing crossed, or stuff like that,
    > AFAIK.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I was absolutely unable to get a boot prompt from the
    > machine. I tried both serial connectors, I tried Hyperterminal
    > (Windows) and picocom (Linux), varying device names (COM1, COM2, ...
    > or /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, ...) with no success.
    >
    > Any ideas, what I might be doing wrong? Or other ways to perform the
    > installation?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jochen

    This should get you started:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/v880?l=en

    The Owner's Guide has a chapter on setting up a console. You'll need
    Solaris 10 media which you can download from

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

    In general, this is a good place to start for help:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/docs/

    I don't know if the V880 can be password protected at the PROM level
    like some of the older systems. If your system is password protected,
    post here for details. It's not easy to remove that protection from the
    older systems with just a single machine.

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

  3. Re: Console access to Sun Fire V880

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > yesterday we received a Sun Fire V880 server here, which is being used
    > as a development and test machine. This is the first SPARC we have
    > since years, because we are usually using i386 machines. The machine
    > was previously in use by someone else and I have no access to the
    > previous users. In particular, I have no idea about network
    > configuration and stuff like that. No problem, I thought, lets start
    > with a clean installation.
    >
    > Obviously, I need console access to do the installation. Inspection
    > showed, that there seem to be two serial lines on the machines back:
    > One with 25 pins, female, and one with an RJ45 connector. Of course,
    > nothing was delivered with the machine. Sun admins are most possibly
    > supposed to have such stuff. I managed to obtain a connector from RJ45
    > to my laptops 9 pin, male connector, an RJ45 cable and a connector
    > from RJ45 to 25 pins, female. Nothing crossed, or stuff like that,
    > AFAIK.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I was absolutely unable to get a boot prompt from the
    > machine. I tried both serial connectors, I tried Hyperterminal
    > (Windows) and picocom (Linux), varying device names (COM1, COM2, ...
    > or /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, ...) with no success.

    First, you need the right cable. See if you can beg, borrow, or steal a
    Cisco serial cable... it's a light blue ribbon cable with a molded DB-9F
    at one end and an RJ-45 at the other.

    Then you need to connect the Sun to a PC. Since you seem to be unsure
    about Linux serial ports, I'd use Windows. Hyperterminal or PuTTY.
    Google for the port settings, but I'm pretty sure it's 9800-8N1 no flow
    control.