more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20?? - SUN

This is a discussion on more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20?? - SUN ; I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    something cleaner.

    Thanks,
    Arch Stanton

  2. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    "Arch Stanton" wrote in message
    news:zuqdnfSY9d1_r3zVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    Sorry to say this, but it sounds like an Ultra 40 would have been a better
    choice for you.
    The Ultra 40 can have 4 internal drives and the Ultra 40 M2 model can have
    up to 8 internal drives.
    I don't see any way of putting more than 2 drives internal to an Ultra 20 or
    Ultra 20 M2.

    If it's just space you need, then the Ultra 20 supports up to 2 750 GB SATA
    drives.

    Trinean

  3. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    "Arch Stanton" wrote in message
    news:zuqdnfSY9d1_r3zVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    Sorry to say this, but it sounds like an Ultra 40 would have been a better
    choice for you.
    The Ultra 40 can have 4 internal drives and the Ultra 40 M2 model can have
    up to 8 internal drives.
    I don't see any way of putting more than 2 drives internal to an Ultra 20 or
    Ultra 20 M2.

    If it's just space you need, then the Ultra 20 supports up to 2 750 GB SATA
    drives.

    Trinean

  4. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    * Arch Stanton:
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    As Trinean said Ultra 20 is for two internal hard drives only (even when
    it supports more than 2x 750GB). Of course you can "hack" something but
    this would not only affect disk cooling but very likely also invalidate
    the system's warranty.

    One solution could be eSATA. Get a eSATA hard drive case, get a cheap
    eSATA controller that is supported by Solaris, and you should be set.

    Benjamin

  5. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    * Arch Stanton:
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    As Trinean said Ultra 20 is for two internal hard drives only (even when
    it supports more than 2x 750GB). Of course you can "hack" something but
    this would not only affect disk cooling but very likely also invalidate
    the system's warranty.

    One solution could be eSATA. Get a eSATA hard drive case, get a cheap
    eSATA controller that is supported by Solaris, and you should be set.

    Benjamin

  6. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    On Sep 29, 3:56*pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    disk.
    I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    jon soons

  7. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    On Sep 29, 3:56*pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    > I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    > mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    > realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    > there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    > problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    > so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    > I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    > something cleaner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arch Stanton

    Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    disk.
    I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    jon soons

  8. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.

    Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).

    Gives you LOTS of storage.

    jonsoons wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 3:56 pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    >>mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    >>realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    >>there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    >>problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    >>so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    >>I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    >>something cleaner.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Arch Stanton

    > Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    > disk.
    > I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    > neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    > jon soons

  9. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    jonsoons wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 3:56 pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    >>mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    >>realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    >>there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    >>problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    >>so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    >>I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    >>something cleaner.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Arch Stanton

    > Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    > disk.
    > I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    > neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    > jon soons

  10. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    jonsoons wrote:
    > Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    > disk.

    That's a good idea. I'd have to learn more about network installs but I
    guess it wouldn't kill me to do so.

    > I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    > neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.

    That's what I'll probably do. There's also some extra-stiff velcro-like
    material which I think might do nicely.

    I already have an additional sata controller so it's just a matter of
    physical attachment, assuming the power supply is up to an extra disk.

    The limitation is kind of surprising considering what a physically large
    box the Ultra 20 is (nearly 8 inches wide). But it's a nice system
    otherwise and I believe I'll be happy once I work this little thing out.

    Thanks,
    Arch Stanton

  11. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    jonsoons wrote:
    > Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    > disk.

    That's a good idea. I'd have to learn more about network installs but I
    guess it wouldn't kill me to do so.

    > I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    > neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.

    That's what I'll probably do. There's also some extra-stiff velcro-like
    material which I think might do nicely.

    I already have an additional sata controller so it's just a matter of
    physical attachment, assuming the power supply is up to an extra disk.

    The limitation is kind of surprising considering what a physically large
    box the Ultra 20 is (nearly 8 inches wide). But it's a nice system
    otherwise and I believe I'll be happy once I work this little thing out.

    Thanks,
    Arch Stanton

  12. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    lmd
    Michelle wrote:
    > I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >
    > Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    > existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >
    > Gives you LOTS of storage.
    >

    > jonsoons wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 29, 3:56 pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    >>> mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    >>> realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    >>> there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    >>> problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    >>> so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    >>> I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    >>> something cleaner.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Arch Stanton

    >> Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    >> disk.
    >> I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    >> neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    >> jon soons

  13. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    Michelle wrote:
    > I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >
    > Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    > existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >
    > Gives you LOTS of storage.
    >

    > jonsoons wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 29, 3:56 pm, Arch Stanton wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just bought an Ultra 20 with the plan of installing a pair of ZFS
    >>> mirrored disks in addition to the boot (system) disk. But I've just
    >>> realized the Ultra 20 has room for only 2 disks in the drive cage. Is
    >>> there an internal expansion cage available? Has anyone else solved this
    >>> problem another way? This is a very lightweight use, a home file server,
    >>> so I don't want to get into any kind of dedicated external hardware. If
    >>> I need to duct-tape the additional disk in I will, but would prefer
    >>> something cleaner.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Arch Stanton

    >> Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    >> disk.
    >> I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    >> neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    >> jon soons

  14. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    One can actually google the post when I inquired about it (using search
    string of "sunblade 1500 sata controller")

    The person recommended a LSILogic SAS3041X-R. I think the letters after
    SAS3041 indicates if its PCI or PCI-X, and I think I got the PCI-X
    version but can verify when I get home.

    I attached 4 x 500GB Sata drives to it (and raid 5'd it).

    LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    > Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    > lmd
    > Michelle wrote:
    >
    >> I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >>
    >> Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    >> existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >>
    >> Gives you LOTS of storage.
    >>

    >> jonsoons wrote:

    >>> Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    >>> disk.
    >>> I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    >>> neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    >>> jon soons

  15. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    > Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    > lmd
    > Michelle wrote:
    >
    >> I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >>
    >> Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    >> existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >>
    >> Gives you LOTS of storage.
    >>

    >> jonsoons wrote:

    >>> Do you really need a CD drive? I got rid of mine and fitted another
    >>> disk.
    >>> I also strapped in another disk in a similar box with zip ties (very
    >>> neat) when there was no way to put a cage in.
    >>> jon soons

  16. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    Thanks Michelle.
    I looked at the LSI site's picture of the SAS3041X-R

    http://www.lsi.com/files/docs/techdo...3041xr_qig.pdf

    and it shows key notches for a 3.3v slot. The open slots in my Sun
    Blade 1500 Silver are all 5v slots. There is another 64-bit slot (the
    top slot) which is a 3.3v slot but it is occupied by the frame
    buffer/graphics card. I didn't pull the FB to look at the keys to make sure.
    Are you using the top slot for your LSI?
    The top slot in my machine is blue or green and the others are all beige.

    If I took out the FB I dunno what I would use for graphics.

    LeRoy

    Michelle wrote:
    > One can actually google the post when I inquired about it (using search
    > string of "sunblade 1500 sata controller")
    >

    > The person recommended a LSILogic SAS3041X-R. I think the letters after
    > SAS3041 indicates if its PCI or PCI-X, and I think I got the PCI-X
    > version but can verify when I get home.
    >
    > I attached 4 x 500GB Sata drives to it (and raid 5'd it).
    >

    > LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    >
    >> Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    >> lmd
    >> Michelle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >>>
    >>> Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    >>> existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >>>
    >>> Gives you LOTS of storage.

  17. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    Michelle wrote:
    > One can actually google the post when I inquired about it (using search
    > string of "sunblade 1500 sata controller")
    >

    > The person recommended a LSILogic SAS3041X-R. I think the letters after
    > SAS3041 indicates if its PCI or PCI-X, and I think I got the PCI-X
    > version but can verify when I get home.
    >
    > I attached 4 x 500GB Sata drives to it (and raid 5'd it).
    >

    > LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    >
    >> Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    >> lmd
    >> Michelle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've done the same in other sun boxes like the U10.
    >>>
    >>> Also, added 4 "additional" drives in a sunblade 1500 just below the
    >>> existing two internal (had to add a sata controller card though).
    >>>
    >>> Gives you LOTS of storage.

  18. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    I just verified that in fact I did remove the video card from the 3.3v
    slot on the top and put in the Sata controller.

    From checking the LSI site, this card only comes in PCI-E and PCI-X
    which I think both are 3.3v slots? That may obviously limit your choices.

    LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    > Thanks Michelle.
    > I looked at the LSI site's picture of the SAS3041X-R
    >
    > http://www.lsi.com/files/docs/techdo...3041xr_qig.pdf
    >

    > and it shows key notches for a 3.3v slot. The open slots in my Sun
    > Blade 1500 Silver are all 5v slots. There is another 64-bit slot (the
    > top slot) which is a 3.3v slot but it is occupied by the frame
    > buffer/graphics card. I didn't pull the FB to look at the keys to make
    > sure.
    > Are you using the top slot for your LSI?
    > The top slot in my machine is blue or green and the others are all beige.
    >
    > If I took out the FB I dunno what I would use for graphics.
    >
    > LeRoy
    >
    > Michelle wrote:
    >
    >> One can actually google the post when I inquired about it (using
    >> search string of "sunblade 1500 sata controller")
    >>

    >> The person recommended a LSILogic SAS3041X-R. I think the letters
    >> after SAS3041 indicates if its PCI or PCI-X, and I think I got the
    >> PCI-X version but can verify when I get home.
    >>
    >> I attached 4 x 500GB Sata drives to it (and raid 5'd it).
    >>

    >> LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    >>> lmd

  19. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    I just verified that in fact I did remove the video card from the 3.3v
    slot on the top and put in the Sata controller.

    From checking the LSI site, this card only comes in PCI-E and PCI-X

    LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    > Thanks Michelle.
    > I looked at the LSI site's picture of the SAS3041X-R
    >
    > http://www.lsi.com/files/docs/techdo...3041xr_qig.pdf
    >

    > and it shows key notches for a 3.3v slot. The open slots in my Sun
    > Blade 1500 Silver are all 5v slots. There is another 64-bit slot (the
    > top slot) which is a 3.3v slot but it is occupied by the frame
    > buffer/graphics card. I didn't pull the FB to look at the keys to make
    > sure.
    > Are you using the top slot for your LSI?
    > The top slot in my machine is blue or green and the others are all beige.
    >
    > If I took out the FB I dunno what I would use for graphics.
    >
    > LeRoy
    >
    > Michelle wrote:
    >
    >> One can actually google the post when I inquired about it (using
    >> search string of "sunblade 1500 sata controller")
    >>

    >> The person recommended a LSILogic SAS3041X-R. I think the letters
    >> after SAS3041 indicates if its PCI or PCI-X, and I think I got the
    >> PCI-X version but can verify when I get home.
    >>
    >> I attached 4 x 500GB Sata drives to it (and raid 5'd it).
    >>

    >> LeRoy M. Dorman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Michelle, which sata controller are you using in your sunblade 1500?
    >>> lmd

  20. Re: more than 2 disks in an Ultra 20??

    So I presume that the video card you removed was an upgrade to the MOBO
    video so it is like hindering one body part to improve the performance
    of the whole :-(. Tuff choice.
    So I will pull the FB to test how much video performance I would lose.
    Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
    lmd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast