Can read/open disk label/boot device. Broken DVD? - SUN

This is a discussion on Can read/open disk label/boot device. Broken DVD? - SUN ; Hi just wondering if I have a failed drive here. When booting boot cdrom , recieve message "cant open boot device" But is detected as device 0 when probe-ide is entered. Sunfire 210 Trying to run the original cd ver8 ...

  1. Can read/open disk label/boot device. Broken DVD?

    Hi just wondering if I have a failed drive here.
    When booting boot cdrom , recieve message "cant open boot device"
    But is detected as device 0 when probe-ide is entered.
    Sunfire 210
    Trying to run the original cd ver8
    Also wont eject via button or eject cdrom says "dont know how"
    MAy somebody please confirm my thoughts as If in a normal pc enviorment
    this would surly mean a faulty drive, but with the Sun I'm Such a Newby

    Thanks
    Sachan

  2. Re: Can read/open disk label/boot device. Broken DVD?

    Sachan Uebei wrote:
    > Hi just wondering if I have a failed drive here.
    > When booting boot cdrom , recieve message "cant open boot device"
    > But is detected as device 0 when probe-ide is entered.
    > Sunfire 210
    > Trying to run the original cd ver8
    > Also wont eject via button or eject cdrom says "dont know how"
    > MAy somebody please confirm my thoughts as If in a normal pc enviorment
    > this would surly mean a faulty drive, but with the Sun I'm Such a Newby
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sachan

    use
    ok probe-scsi-all
    If you have a Sunfire V210, disks are scsi not ide, cd/dvd player is ide.
    /Jörgen

  3. Re: Can read/open disk label/boot device. Broken DVD?

    Sachan Uebei wrote:

    >Can read/open disk label/boot device.

    That's normal.

    Barry