Solaris10 x86 breaks tape - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris10 x86 breaks tape - SUN ; I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire X2250 running Solaris10 x86. Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders. The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives. The sgen driver finds the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    X2250 running Solaris10 x86.

    Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.

    The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.

    The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.

    The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.

    Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  2. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    >Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    >The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    >The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    >The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    >Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >
    >--
    >Jim Pennino

    Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).

    Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    probably done there on them as well.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  3. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    >Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    >The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    >The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    >The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    >Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >
    >--
    >Jim Pennino

    Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).

    Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    probably done there on them as well.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  4. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Jeff Wieland wrote:
    > In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >>I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >>X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>
    >>Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>
    >>The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>
    >>The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >>/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >>on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>
    >>The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>
    >>Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jim Pennino

    > Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    > file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).
    >
    > Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    > probably done there on them as well.
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    Here's what's in sgen.conf:

    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    Neither enable_drv -f sgen nor a reconfigure boot finds lun 1.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  5. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Jeff Wieland wrote:
    > In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >>I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >>X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>
    >>Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>
    >>The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>
    >>The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >>/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >>on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>
    >>The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>
    >>Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jim Pennino

    > Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    > file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).
    >
    > Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    > probably done there on them as well.
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    Here's what's in sgen.conf:

    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    Neither enable_drv -f sgen nor a reconfigure boot finds lun 1.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  6. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    > In comp.sys.sun.admin Jeff Wieland wrote:
    >> In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >>>I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >>>X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>>
    >>>Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>>
    >>>The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>>
    >>>The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >>>/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >>>on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>>
    >>>The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Jim Pennino

    >> Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    >> file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).
    >>
    >> Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    >> probably done there on them as well.
    >> --
    >> Jeff Wieland

    > Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;
    >
    > Neither enable_drv -f sgen nor a reconfigure boot finds lun 1.

    Typo; that should be update_drv.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  7. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    > In comp.sys.sun.admin Jeff Wieland wrote:
    >> In article jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
    >>>I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >>>X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>>
    >>>Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>>
    >>>The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>>
    >>>The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >>>/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >>>on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>>
    >>>The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Jim Pennino

    >> Yes -- you need to enable LUNs > 0 by editing the /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
    >> file and rebooting (or manually unloading the driver).
    >>
    >> Take a look at the sgen.conf file on the Solaris 9 boxes -- it was
    >> probably done there on them as well.
    >> --
    >> Jeff Wieland

    > Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;
    >
    > Neither enable_drv -f sgen nor a reconfigure boot finds lun 1.

    Typo; that should be update_drv.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  8. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 GMT, jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    >I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    >Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    >The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    >The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    >The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    >Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    Surely tape breakage must be the fault of the tape drive.

    >--
    >Jim Pennino

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  9. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 GMT, jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    >I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    >Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    >The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    >The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >/dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    >The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    >Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    Surely tape breakage must be the fault of the tape drive.

    >--
    >Jim Pennino

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  10. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    Is that all you have in sgen.conf? How about

    device-type-config-list=changer

    and perhaps

    inquiry-config-list= "ACME", "UltraToast";

    as per the man page?

  11. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    > name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    Is that all you have in sgen.conf? How about

    device-type-config-list=changer

    and perhaps

    inquiry-config-list= "ACME", "UltraToast";

    as per the man page?

  12. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >>
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    > Is that all you have in sgen.conf? How about
    >
    > device-type-config-list=changer
    >
    > and perhaps
    >
    > inquiry-config-list= "ACME", "UltraToast";
    >
    > as per the man page?

    device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";

    inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    And like I said, update_drv creates the links for sequential (the drive
    itself) on lun 0 but NOT changer on lun 1.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  13. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> Here's what's in sgen.conf:
    >>
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    >> name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

    > Is that all you have in sgen.conf? How about
    >
    > device-type-config-list=changer
    >
    > and perhaps
    >
    > inquiry-config-list= "ACME", "UltraToast";
    >
    > as per the man page?

    device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";

    inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    And like I said, update_drv creates the links for sequential (the drive
    itself) on lun 0 but NOT changer on lun 1.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  14. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";
    >
    > inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    I don't think "*" is valid for product-id, but I don't know if that would make
    any difference.

  15. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";
    >
    > inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    I don't think "*" is valid for product-id, but I don't know if that would make
    any difference.

  16. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";
    >>
    >> inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    > I don't think "*" is valid for product-id, but I don't know if that would make
    > any difference.

    I've tried it both with and without that line and it didn't make any
    difference, i.e. it finds lun 0 but not lun 1.

    Some more information:

    The Solaris 9 system doesn't have a inquiry-config-list line and it works,
    so I tried that on Solaris 10; no difference.

    Thinking maybe it is the card or peculiar to x86, I attached one of the
    drives to a V440 running Solaris 10; same results as on x86, i.e.
    lun 0 is found but not lun 1.

    So, that eliminates it being a difference between the x86 architecture
    and SPARC or the scsi card and driver, or the cable.

    It is also not the tape drive as I have several drives and they all do
    the same thing.

    The only thing left is a potential difference with the sgen driver on
    Solaris 9 versus Solaris 10 as far as I can see.

    It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  17. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> device-type-config-list="changer","sequential","type_unknown";
    >>
    >> inquiry-config-list= "*", "*";

    > I don't think "*" is valid for product-id, but I don't know if that would make
    > any difference.

    I've tried it both with and without that line and it didn't make any
    difference, i.e. it finds lun 0 but not lun 1.

    Some more information:

    The Solaris 9 system doesn't have a inquiry-config-list line and it works,
    so I tried that on Solaris 10; no difference.

    Thinking maybe it is the card or peculiar to x86, I attached one of the
    drives to a V440 running Solaris 10; same results as on x86, i.e.
    lun 0 is found but not lun 1.

    So, that eliminates it being a difference between the x86 architecture
    and SPARC or the scsi card and driver, or the cable.

    It is also not the tape drive as I have several drives and they all do
    the same thing.

    The only thing left is a potential difference with the sgen driver on
    Solaris 9 versus Solaris 10 as far as I can see.

    It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  18. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    > sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    Try searching the bugs database. For example
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6606382

  19. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

    > It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    > sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    Try searching the bugs database. For example
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6606382

  20. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    >> sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    > Try searching the bugs database. For example
    > http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6606382

    I would have never thought of searching opensolaris as I have the
    official bought and payed for 5/08 release on DVD.

    Anyway, that sounds exactly like my problem, BUT, the workaround
    doesn't seem to make any difference.

    The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

+ Reply to Thread