Solaris10 x86 breaks tape - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris10 x86 breaks tape - SUN ; In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote: > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote: > >> It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting >> sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device. > > Try ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >
    >> It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful in getting
    >> sgen to attach to lun 1 on Solaris 10 with any device.

    > Try searching the bugs database. For example
    > http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6606382

    I would have never thought of searching opensolaris as I have the
    official bought and payed for 5/08 release on DVD.

    Anyway, that sounds exactly like my problem, BUT, the workaround
    doesn't seem to make any difference.

    The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  2. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    > The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    > heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Test it with Solaris Express to see if it was actually fixed.
    If you have Sun Support, they might be able to give you a patch.

  3. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    > The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    > heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Test it with Solaris Express to see if it was actually fixed.
    If you have Sun Support, they might be able to give you a patch.

  4. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >> The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    >> heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    > Test it with Solaris Express to see if it was actually fixed.

    I'm afraid that's not an option as I don't have a free machine to
    do that.

    > If you have Sun Support, they might be able to give you a patch.

    Nope, no support since 2002.

    And, FWIW, all patches are up to date.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  5. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    >> The release for U6 is supposed to be "any day now" from what I've
    >> heard and maybe that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

    > Test it with Solaris Express to see if it was actually fixed.

    I'm afraid that's not an option as I don't have a free machine to
    do that.

    > If you have Sun Support, they might be able to give you a patch.

    Nope, no support since 2002.

    And, FWIW, all patches are up to date.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  6. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 +0000, jimp wrote:

    > I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    > X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    > Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    > The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    > The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    > /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    > on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    > The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    > Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    Are you running Solaris 10 5/08 without any additional patches?

    I seem to recall the 10 5/08 kernel patch contained a problem in the mpt
    driver that caused issues with the sg driver if you didn't apply a mpt
    specific patch.

    Check out: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?
    assetkey=1-66-231243-1

    Solaris MPT(7D) patch May Cause Loss of Devices in NetBackup

  7. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 +0000, jimp wrote:

    > I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    > X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    > Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    > The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    > The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    > /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    > on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    > The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    > Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    Are you running Solaris 10 5/08 without any additional patches?

    I seem to recall the 10 5/08 kernel patch contained a problem in the mpt
    driver that caused issues with the sg driver if you didn't apply a mpt
    specific patch.

    Check out: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?
    assetkey=1-66-231243-1

    Solaris MPT(7D) patch May Cause Loss of Devices in NetBackup

  8. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Alexander J. Maidak wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 +0000, jimp wrote:
    >
    >> I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >> X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>
    >> Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>
    >> The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>
    >> The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >> /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >> on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>
    >> The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>
    >> Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    > Are you running Solaris 10 5/08 without any additional patches?
    >
    > I seem to recall the 10 5/08 kernel patch contained a problem in the mpt
    > driver that caused issues with the sg driver if you didn't apply a mpt
    > specific patch.
    >
    > Check out: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?
    > assetkey=1-66-231243-1
    >
    > Solaris MPT(7D) patch May Cause Loss of Devices in NetBackup

    All the latest patches are installed.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  9. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Alexander J. Maidak wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:35:01 +0000, jimp wrote:
    >
    >> I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    >> X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >>
    >> Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >>
    >> The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >>
    >> The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    >> /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    >> on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >>
    >> The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >>
    >> Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?

    > Are you running Solaris 10 5/08 without any additional patches?
    >
    > I seem to recall the 10 5/08 kernel patch contained a problem in the mpt
    > driver that caused issues with the sg driver if you didn't apply a mpt
    > specific patch.
    >
    > Check out: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?
    > assetkey=1-66-231243-1
    >
    > Solaris MPT(7D) patch May Cause Loss of Devices in NetBackup

    All the latest patches are installed.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  10. Re: Solaris10 x86 breaks tape

    On Sep 25, 2:35*pm, j...@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
    > I'm migrating stuff from ancient Solaris9 SPARC boxes to a Sun Fire
    > X2250 running Solaris10 x86.
    >
    > Everything is working except the SONY TSL-9000 DDS autoloaders.
    >
    > The st driver configures properly and finds the tape drives.
    >
    > The sgen driver finds the tape drives on LUN 0 and creates the
    > /dev/scsi/sequential tree but it can't seem to find the changer devices
    > on LUN 1 to create the /dev/scsi/changer tree.
    >
    > The scsi driver is mpt if that makes a difference.
    >
    > Anyone got a clue why sgen can't find LUN 1?
    >
    > --
    > Jim Pennino
    >
    > Remove .spam.sux to reply.

    In case anyone else has this problem and finds this thread..

    The Solaris mpt driver is broken as of Solaris10 U5 and patches as of
    Oct 2008.

    Get and install the itmpt driver from www.lsi.com and the problem goes
    away.