sunfire v210 reinstall -help please. - SUN

This is a discussion on sunfire v210 reinstall -help please. - SUN ; Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine Boots to logon but password is unknown Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant find any documentation on how to. Problem Boots to logon:_ have connected to serial ...

  1. sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    Boots to logon but password is unknown

    Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    find any documentation on how to.

    Problem
    Boots to logon:_

    have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud

    although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.

    Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    Or verify how to connect correctly?

    Much appreciated.

    Sacha Nubei

  2. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:40:56 +1000, Sacha Nubei wrote:

    >Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    >Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >
    >Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    >find any documentation on how to.
    >
    >Problem
    >Boots to logon:_
    >
    >have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    >pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    >and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    >terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >
    >although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    >hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >
    >Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    >locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    >Or verify how to connect correctly?

    I installed Solaris 10 on a Sunfire V210 by using a pc as a terminal.
    Once you have the terminal working the install is very straightforward.
    At the LOM prompt type poweron. If it drops to the ok prompt type
    boot cdrom.

    >Much appreciated.

    First thing is to get the serial port connection working.
    If you know the ip for the management port you can telenet to it.

    >Sacha Nubei

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  3. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Sacha Nubei wrote:
    > Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    > Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >
    > Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    > find any documentation on how to.
    >
    > Problem
    > Boots to logon:_
    >
    > have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    > pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    > and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    > terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >
    > although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    > hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    > locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    > Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >

    > Much appreciated.
    >
    > Sacha Nubei

    You don't NEED to reinstall!!

    Just boot from the Solaris CD with "boot -s cdrom". This should bring
    you to a shell prompt from which you can edit /etc/passwd and
    /etc/shadow to clear the root password. Reboot and log in as root, set
    a new root password, and the machine is yours!

  4. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Sacha Nubei wrote:
    >> Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    >> Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >>
    >> Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    >> find any documentation on how to.
    >>
    >> Problem
    >> Boots to logon:_
    >>
    >> have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire
    >> to pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that
    >> connects and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear
    >> into terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >>
    >> although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    >> hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >>
    >> Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    >> locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    >> Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >>

    >> Much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Sacha Nubei

    > You don't NEED to reinstall!!
    >
    > Just boot from the Solaris CD with "boot -s cdrom". This should bring
    > you to a shell prompt from which you can edit /etc/passwd and
    > /etc/shadow to clear the root password. Reboot and log in as root, set
    > a new root password, and the machine is yours!

    #. gets you to the ALOM, if user/password is requiered try admin/admin .
    If that dont work you have to wait minutes till it times out.
    try + on the usb kbd, if works (ok), then boot cdrom -s .
    If not get a scsi disk with solaris installed.
    Put it in slot 0, boot single state if you can.
    Use # /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/scadm userpassword admin
    to set the support processor password, sc> console -f
    you connect to OBP. ( ok boot cdrom, to install the OS )
    /Jörgen

  5. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Thanks for the reply's! There all great.

    Guys,
    The thing is at the logon promt When I can type in the terminal but when
    I hit enter it goes to next line and thats it, I doesnt seem to
    register. Just like typing here or in text file.
    Also backspace outputs ^H to the screen.
    I tried also on a linux box connecting to the Sunfire through Putty and
    its the same deal as the hyper terminal connection result.
    Does this mean the terminal connection is not right?

    How do I access the LoM ? The only way it seems to power up is by
    pushing the power button. Otherwise no input is displayed in terminal
    window with just the power cord in.

    Thanks again in advance for any assistance / suggestions.

    Sacha Nubei wrote:
    > Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    > Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >
    > Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    > find any documentation on how to.
    >
    > Problem
    > Boots to logon:_
    >
    > have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    > pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    > and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    > terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >
    > although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    > hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    > locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    > Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >

    > Much appreciated.
    >
    > Sacha Nubei

  6. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Thanks Jorden
    Admin/admin worked to get into the LOM
    then console, ctl break to get to OK,

    Now there is some problem trying to boot the DVD.
    When boot cdrom

    recieving "Cant read disk label"
    Cant open disk label package
    Cant open boot device.

    It shows as Device 0 Removable atapi dv-28e-c

    Tried using the original disks

    looks like it doesnt even try to read, ie no light on rom.

    Any ideas please?

    Sachan

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> Sacha Nubei wrote:
    >>> Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    >>> Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >>>
    >>> Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    >>> find any documentation on how to.
    >>>
    >>> Problem
    >>> Boots to logon:_
    >>>
    >>> have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire
    >>> to pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that
    >>> connects and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear
    >>> into terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >>>
    >>> although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    >>> hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    >>> locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    >>> Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >>>

    >>> Much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Sacha Nubei

    >> You don't NEED to reinstall!!
    >>
    >> Just boot from the Solaris CD with "boot -s cdrom". This should bring
    >> you to a shell prompt from which you can edit /etc/passwd and
    >> /etc/shadow to clear the root password. Reboot and log in as root,
    >> set a new root password, and the machine is yours!
    >>

    > #. gets you to the ALOM, if user/password is requiered try admin/admin .
    > If that dont work you have to wait minutes till it times out.
    > try +
    on the usb kbd, if works (ok), then boot cdrom -s .
    > If not get a scsi disk with solaris installed.
    > Put it in slot 0, boot single state if you can.
    > Use # /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/scadm userpassword admin
    > to set the support processor password, sc> console -f
    > you connect to OBP. ( ok boot cdrom, to install the OS )
    > /Jörgen

  7. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Sacha Nubei wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply's! There all great.
    >
    > Guys,
    > The thing is at the logon promt When I can type in the terminal but when
    > I hit enter it goes to next line and thats it, I doesnt seem to
    > register. Just like typing here or in text file.
    > Also backspace outputs ^H to the screen.
    > I tried also on a linux box connecting to the Sunfire through Putty and
    > its the same deal as the hyper terminal connection result.
    > Does this mean the terminal connection is not right?
    >
    > How do I access the LoM ? The only way it seems to power up is by
    > pushing the power button. Otherwise no input is displayed in terminal
    > window with just the power cord in.
    >
    > Thanks again in advance for any assistance / suggestions.
    >

    > Sacha Nubei wrote:
    >> Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    >> Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >>
    >> Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    >> find any documentation on how to.
    >>
    >> Problem
    >> Boots to logon:_
    >>
    >> have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire
    >> to pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that
    >> connects and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear
    >> into terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >>
    >> although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    >> hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >>
    >> Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    >> locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    >> Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >>

    >> Much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Sacha Nubei

    PLease disregard that last post. thanks

  8. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    On Sep 26, 10:00 am, Sacha Nubei wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply's! There all great.
    >
    > Guys,
    > The thing is at the logon promt When I can type in the terminal but when
    > I hit enter it goes to next line and thats it, I doesnt seem to
    > register. Just like typing here or in text file.
    > Also backspace outputs ^H to the screen.
    > I tried also on a linux box connecting to the Sunfire through Putty and
    > its the same deal as the hyper terminal connection result.
    > Does this mean the terminal connection is not right?
    >
    > How do I access the LoM ? The only way it seems to power up is by
    > pushing the power button. Otherwise no input is displayed in terminal
    > window with just the power cord in.
    >
    > Thanks again in advance for any assistance / suggestions.
    >
    > Sacha Nubei wrote:
    > > Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    > > Boots to logon but password is unknown

    > > Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    > > find any documentation on how to.

    > > Problem
    > > Boots to logon:_

    > > have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    > > pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    > > and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    > > terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud

    > > although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    > > hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.

    > > Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    > > locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    > > Or verify how to connect correctly?

    > > Much appreciated.

    > > Sacha Nubei

    You can fix the backspace key by typing:
    stty erase
    followed by a space then hit your backspace key, then hit return

    For a few bucks u can get solaris install CDs from sun.com.

  9. Re: sunfire v210 reinstall -help please.

    Lou wrote:
    > On Sep 26, 10:00 am, Sacha Nubei wrote:
    >> Thanks for the reply's! There all great.
    >>
    >> Guys,
    >> The thing is at the logon promt When I can type in the terminal but when
    >> I hit enter it goes to next line and thats it, I doesnt seem to
    >> register. Just like typing here or in text file.
    >> Also backspace outputs ^H to the screen.
    >> I tried also on a linux box connecting to the Sunfire through Putty and
    >> its the same deal as the hyper terminal connection result.
    >> Does this mean the terminal connection is not right?
    >>
    >> How do I access the LoM ? The only way it seems to power up is by
    >> pushing the power button. Otherwise no input is displayed in terminal
    >> window with just the power cord in.
    >>
    >> Thanks again in advance for any assistance / suggestions.
    >>
    >> Sacha Nubei wrote:
    >>> Have Solaris 8 or 9 on Sunfire machine
    >>> Boots to logon but password is unknown
    >>> Consequently would like to reinstall Solaris or Ububtu linux but cant
    >>> find any documentation on how to.
    >>> Problem
    >>> Boots to logon:_
    >>> have connected to serial management rj45(with cisco cable)on sunfire to
    >>> pc serial port on windows machine running hyper terminal that connects
    >>> and displays boot proccess but Keyboard input doesnt appear into
    >>> terminal screen at logon prompt. 9600 baud
    >>> although usb keyboard connected directly to sunfire shows input into
    >>> hyperteminal window , inputting text and enter brings back to curser.
    >>> Can someone please let me know or suggest where to find a install o/s
    >>> locally from scratch procedure, not network install.
    >>> Or verify how to connect correctly?
    >>> Much appreciated.
    >>> Sacha Nubei

    > You can fix the backspace key by typing:
    > stty erase
    > followed by a space then hit your backspace key, then hit return
    >
    > For a few bucks u can get solaris install CDs from sun.com.

    The last time I looked, Sun did not offer Solaris on CD! You can get it
    on DVD. You can also download the ISO images of the CDs and burn your
    own if you need CDs. I preferred installing DVD drives on my Sun
    machines to messing around with CD's. If you install from CD, you have
    to sit there and insert new CD's as the install progresses. With DVD,
    you can start it and forget it.

+ Reply to Thread