new here - wget ./configure - SUN

This is a discussion on new here - wget ./configure - SUN ; I'm new to the Unix world, but am trying to learn it - slowly but surely. I have a Sun Solaris box with the following specs: SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60 We are wanting to use this box as ...

  1. new here - wget ./configure

    I'm new to the Unix world, but am trying to learn it - slowly but
    surely. I have a Sun Solaris box with the following specs:

    SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

    We are wanting to use this box as a test to see if we can integrate
    Solaris systems into Windows Active Directory. I have been trying to
    follow the setup as described on this blog:
    http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/04/25...ion-version-3/,
    but have ran into so many problems and so much confusion as to what he
    means that I'm just flustered. So, I'm trying to start from scratch:

    Step 1: I'm trying to get wget installed. I downloaded the package
    from Sunfreeware.com (wget-1.11.4-sol10-sparc-local.gz) and put it in
    my /var/spool/pkg directory. I have gunzipped it and then I ran pkgadd
    -d command. All that did fine. However, it doesn't seem to do
    anything. Whenever I try to use wget, I get wget: not found. I'm
    assuming this is because it hasn't been configured, per this site:
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...cnet/wget.html.
    However, I do not have a configure file - at least, I've not been able
    to find one. When I try to run ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/
    etc && make I get ./configure: not found. I have tried a find / -name
    *configure* and found an older version of wget in my personal
    directory with a configure file, but not for the new version that I
    just pkgadd. I'm so confused. If you can help this rookie, I would
    greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

    Sincerely,
    Jamen McGranahan

  2. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen writes:
    >I'm new to the Unix world, but am trying to learn it - slowly but
    >surely. I have a Sun Solaris box with the following specs:

    >SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

    >We are wanting to use this box as a test to see if we can integrate
    >Solaris systems into Windows Active Directory. I have been trying to
    >follow the setup as described on this blog:
    >http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/04/25...ion-version-3/,
    >but have ran into so many problems and so much confusion as to what he
    >means that I'm just flustered. So, I'm trying to start from scratch:

    Probably some of the really basic stuff that they assume you know already.

    >Step 1: I'm trying to get wget installed. I downloaded the package
    >from Sunfreeware.com (wget-1.11.4-sol10-sparc-local.gz) and put it in
    >my /var/spool/pkg directory. I have gunzipped it and then I ran pkgadd
    >-d command. All that did fine. However, it doesn't seem to do
    >anything. Whenever I try to use wget, I get wget: not found.

    Thats most likely because where pkgadd put the binary wasn't in your
    PATH variable. The package name says it put it in /usr/local/bin, a
    popular place to put system locally installed packages, although many
    in the Solaris world don't consider it suitable any longer.

    Try this

    /usr/local/bin/wget

    Does that work? Then only your PATH shell variable needs to be
    updated. I'll worry about this later..

    But, speaking of PATHs, Solaris 10 already comes with wget. I think
    the only reason Sunfreeware bothers to put up a version is that it is
    slightly newer than the one shipped with Solaris 10. But you already
    have it, and don't really need to worry about installing it.

    Again, the reason you aren't finding it, is because the pre-installed
    version isn't in your PATH either.

    > I'm
    >assuming this is because it hasn't been configured, per this site:
    >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...cnet/wget.html.
    >However, I do not have a configure file - at least, I've not been able
    >to find one.

    And almost certainly you don't really need one either.. The defaults
    running without a config file will work correctly for almost anything.

    >When I try to run ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/
    >etc && make I get ./configure: not found. I have tried a find / -name
    >*configure* and found an older version of wget in my personal
    >directory with a configure file, but not for the new version that I
    >just pkgadd. I'm so confused. If you can help this rookie, I would
    >greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

    This part all assumes you are compiling wget from source code
    seperately downloaded and put somewhere. Alot of the linux stuff makes
    huge assumptions about what you are trying to do. I'd state that while
    you will find many hits of what you are trying to do in linux-centric
    web pages, almost all of them will lead you astray, as they either
    refer to long out of date info, they pretty much all assume a certain
    operating environment, or way that they did things without describing
    the basics, or describe their particular current favorite linux
    distribution-of-the-day way of doing things.

    Your original blog post sort of gave you the correct push for finding wget.
    Its in /usr/sfw/bin in Solaris 10, alongside many other community OS
    software packages already compiled, configured and installed.

    You can either run the command by typing its full path, ie /usr/sfw/bin/wget
    or if you want to just type wget, you need your PATH variable modified
    to include it.

    I assume you have the stock Solaris sh as your shell.

    edit your .profile directory in your home directory.
    Add two lines exactly like (especially making sure the final $PATH is there)

    PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
    export PATH

    Then exit out of the editor and make this active (still staying in
    your home directory area)

    .. .profile

    (ie. a period and then a space and period profile).
    This has the shell parse all the items in your .profile config file again.
    (Next time you login, this will happen automatically by the shell, you
    don't need to do the . command again).

    What this does it put many of the common community source package
    locations in your path, and you'll probably find many more commands
    available now without having to type their full path.

    You may find even more directories nice to have in your PATH, this is
    really only the most basic one you probably will want on Solaris 10.
    Several of the paths probably don't exist on your machine, but that
    won't matter, the nanoseconds it spends won't slow you down any.

    Some of the local sysadmin directories might be useful in there too
    if they aren't already part of your PATH (ie. /sbin, /usr/sbin,
    /usr/sfw/sbin, etc. etc.).

  3. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Thanks - that took care of my wget issue! Now onto step 2 - get
    pkg_get package from Blastwave. I have done the following:

    # /usr/local/bin/wget http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg

    And got this result:

    --2008-09-23 14:57:43-- http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg
    Resolving www.blastwave.org... 66.225.151.251
    Connecting to www.blastwave.org|66.225.151.251|:80... connected.
    Length: 69120 (68K) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `pkg_get.pkg'

    100%
    [================================================== ================================================== ====================================>]
    69,120 196K/s in 0.3s

    2008-09-23 14:57:44 (196 KB/s) - `pkg_get.pkg' saved [69120/69120]

    All looks well. I double-check my /var/spool/pkg directory to be sure
    the file is present, and it is - pkg_get.pkg. However, whenever I run
    the following command, I get an error I have not seen before:

    # pkgadd -d pkg_get.pkg
    pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
    - open of failed, errno=2
    pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from

    UGH! I admire administrators who have been doing this for a while
    because I am learning you have to be very patient - which is NOT one
    of my strong suits! :-) Again, any advice and/or guidance you can
    provide will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

    Sincerely,

    Jamen McGranahan

  4. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen wrote:
    > I'm new to the Unix world, but am trying to learn it - slowly but
    > surely. I have a Sun Solaris box with the following specs:
    >
    > SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
    >
    > We are wanting to use this box as a test to see if we can integrate
    > Solaris systems into Windows Active Directory. I have been trying to
    > follow the setup as described on this blog:
    > http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/04/25...ion-version-3/,
    > but have ran into so many problems and so much confusion as to what he
    > means that I'm just flustered. So, I'm trying to start from scratch:
    >
    > Step 1: I'm trying to get wget installed. I downloaded the package
    > from Sunfreeware.com (wget-1.11.4-sol10-sparc-local.gz) and put it in
    > my /var/spool/pkg directory. I have gunzipped it and then I ran pkgadd
    > -d command. All that did fine. However, it doesn't seem to do
    > anything. Whenever I try to use wget, I get wget: not found.

    The packages from Sunfreeware install in /usr/local. Have you got
    /usr/local/bin in your path? If not, you need to add it...

    $ PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH

    wget should now work.

    > I'm assuming this is because it hasn't been configured, per this site:
    > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...cnet/wget.html.

    The packages are pre-configured binaries you don't need to do anything
    except pkgadd them.

    Linux software packaging is very different to Solaris. Linuxfromscratch will
    likely lead you down the wrong path.

    --
    Don't believe in God? You are not alone. FreeThoughtAction.org

  5. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen writes:
    >Thanks - that took care of my wget issue! Now onto step 2 - get
    >pkg_get package from Blastwave. I have done the following:

    ># /usr/local/bin/wget http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg

    >All looks well. I double-check my /var/spool/pkg directory to be sure
    >the file is present, and it is - pkg_get.pkg. However, whenever I run
    >the following command, I get an error I have not seen before:
    ># pkgadd -d pkg_get.pkg

    (FWIW: when you specific -d, you don't need the package in /var/spook/pkg..)

    >pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
    > - open of failed, errno=2
    >pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from

    remove it and try downloading it again? Should work for you.

    Alternatively, this is what I got for an MD5 hash on the file I just
    downloaded..

    digest -a md5 pkg_get.pkg
    4121665c56b38967124d618a379c45a2

  6. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Well, I tried the command to get the path established:

    # $PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH
    /usr/sbin:/usr/bin=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found

    As you can tell above, it says the path is not found. But I can get to
    the directory just fine:

    # cd /usr/local/bin
    # ls
    c++ iconv
    cpp sparc-sun-solaris2.10-c++
    g++ sparc-sun-solaris2.10-g++
    g77 sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc
    gcc sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc-3.4.6
    gccbug wget
    gcov
    # pwd
    /usr/local/bin

    Obviously, my years of working with GUIs has back firing on me because
    it means nothing in this command-line world. I'm so aggravated...

    -- Jamen McGranahan

    On Sep 23, 3:12*pm, Nomen Publicus
    wrote:
    > Jamen wrote:
    > > I'm new to the Unix world, but am trying to learn it - slowly but
    > > surely. I have a Sun Solaris box with the following specs:

    > > SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

    > > We are wanting to use this box as a test to see if we can integrate
    > > Solaris systems into Windows Active Directory. I have been trying to
    > > follow the setup as described on this blog:
    > >http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/04/25...gration-versio...,
    > > but have ran into so many problems and so much confusion as to what he
    > > means that I'm just flustered. So, I'm trying to start from scratch:

    > > Step 1: I'm trying to get wget installed. I downloaded the package
    > > from Sunfreeware.com (wget-1.11.4-sol10-sparc-local.gz) and put it in
    > > my /var/spool/pkg directory. I have gunzipped it and then I ran pkgadd
    > > -d command. All that did fine. However, it doesn't seem to do
    > > anything. Whenever I try to use wget, I get wget: not found.

    > The packages from Sunfreeware install in /usr/local. *Have you got
    > /usr/local/bin in your path? *If not, you need to add it...
    >
    > $ PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH
    >
    > wget should now work.
    >
    > > I'm assuming this is because it hasn't been configured, per this site:
    > >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...cnet/wget.html.

    > The packages are pre-configured binaries you don't need to do anything
    > except pkgadd them.
    >
    > Linux software packaging is very different to Solaris. *Linuxfromscratch will
    > likely lead you down the wrong path.
    >
    > > However, I do not have a configure file - at least, I've not been able to
    > > find one. When I try to run ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/ etc
    > > && make I get ./configure: not found. I have tried a find / -name
    > > *configure* and found an older version of wget in my personal directory
    > > with a configure file, but not for the new version that I just pkgadd. I'm
    > > so confused. If you can help this rookie, I would greatly appreciate it..
    > > Thank you!

    > > Sincerely,
    > > Jamen McGranahan

    > --
    > Don't believe in God? You are not alone. FreeThoughtAction.org

  7. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Remember, I'm fairly new to command-line administration. I was
    thinking that you just cannot delete a package - that there's a
    specific way it has to be removed. Please advise. Thank you!

    -- Jamen McGranahan

    On Sep 23, 3:57*pm, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > Jamen writes:
    > >Thanks - that took care of my wget issue! Now onto step 2 - get
    > >pkg_get package from Blastwave. I have done the following:
    > ># /usr/local/bin/wgethttp://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg
    > >All looks well. I double-check my /var/spool/pkg directory to be sure
    > >the file is present, and it is - pkg_get.pkg. However, whenever I run
    > >the following command, I get an error I have not seen before:
    > ># pkgadd -d pkg_get.pkg

    > (FWIW: when you specific -d, you don't need the package in /var/spook/pkg...)
    >
    > >pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
    > > * *- open of failed, errno=2
    > >pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from

    > remove it and try downloading it again? Should work for you.
    >
    > Alternatively, this is what I got for an MD5 hash on the file I just
    > downloaded..
    >
    > digest -a md5 pkg_get.pkg
    > 4121665c56b38967124d618a379c45a2

  8. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen writes:
    >Well, I tried the command to get the path established:

    ># $PATH=3D$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH
    >/usr/sbin:/usr/bin=3D/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found

    >As you can tell above, it says the path is not found. But I can get to
    >the directory just fine:

    >Obviously, my years of working with GUIs has back firing on me because
    >it means nothing in this command-line world. I'm so aggravated...

    Your GUI is messing you up more now too. Its taking stock ASCII text
    that was posted and tried warping it in some MIME fubar. There
    shouldn't be any magic 3D in any statement anywhere, thats your web
    browser (or Google Groups) getting itself in the way and doing things wrong.

    You added on a $ onto the front where you shouldn't. Yes, CLI typing
    is exact, but then again, when you do things like edit the registry,
    you have to be exact as well. And now that windows server seems to be
    espousing a CLI to do lots of things...

    This line should be PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH

    You have an extra $ in the beginning. You have an extra 3D in there
    that shouldn't be there.

    It should be PATH equals dollarsign PATH :/usr/local/bin..
    (without the spaces).

  9. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen writes:
    >Remember, I'm fairly new to command-line administration. I was
    >thinking that you just cannot delete a package - that there's a
    >specific way it has to be removed. Please advise. Thank you!

    >> ># pkgadd -d pkg_get.pkg

    >> (FWIW: when you specific -d, you don't need the package in /var/spook/pkg=

    >..)

    -d doesn't stand for delete. It stands for directory.

    Ie. you are over-riding the directory where pkgadd looks for to add packages.

    One other thing that the beginner should know is that the online help
    is actually useful, although usually quite terse.

    man pkgadd

    will tell you what its for, what the arguments are. And if you scroll
    to the end, you'll see related commands like pkgrm used to delete packages.
    (rm is the standard CLI command to remove a file).

  10. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Figures it would be something simple - the beginning dollar sign! Once
    I removed that, the wget command works without having to put in the
    full destination. Thanks Doug - and for your patience!

    Sincerely,
    Jamen McGranahan

    On Sep 24, 11:54*am, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > Jamen writes:
    > >Well, I tried the command to get the path established:
    > ># $PATH=3D$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH
    > >/usr/sbin:/usr/bin=3D/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
    > >As you can tell above, it says the path is not found. But I can get to
    > >the directory just fine:

    > >Obviously, my years of working with GUIs has back firing on me because
    > >it means nothing in this command-line world. I'm so aggravated...

    > Your GUI is messing you up more now too. Its taking stock ASCII text
    > that was posted and tried warping it in some MIME fubar. *There
    > shouldn't be any magic 3D in any statement anywhere, thats your web
    > browser (or Google Groups) getting itself in the way and doing things wrong.
    >
    > You added on a $ onto the front where you shouldn't. Yes, CLI typing
    > is exact, but then again, when you do things like edit the registry,
    > you have to be exact as well. And now that windows server seems to be
    > espousing a CLI to do lots of things...
    >
    > This line should be PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export PATH
    >
    > You have an extra $ in the beginning. You have an extra 3D in there
    > that shouldn't be there.
    >
    > It should be PATH equals dollarsign PATH :/usr/local/bin..
    > (without the spaces).

  11. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Yes, I know about the man and have used that quite a bit. I have
    looked at pkgrm, also knowing that rm is the command for removing a
    file. The -d part you reference was actually from a previous posting
    and not for this particular one - sorry about that.

    I do wonder if the information on the blog is dated because I keep
    running into so many issues. Now, with pkg_get, I get this
    information:

    # pkgrm pkg_get
    pkgrm: ERROR: no package associated with

    # pkgadd pkg_get.pkg
    pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in

    # cd /var/spool/pkg
    # ls
    gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local libintl-3.4.0-sol10-sparc-
    local pkg_get_backup.pkg
    libgcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local openssl-0.9.8h-sol10-sparc-
    local samba-3.0.23b-1-noads-sunos5.9-sparc.pkg
    libiconv-1.11-sol10-sparc-local
    pkg_get.pkg wget-1.11.4-sol10-sparc-
    local

    # ls -l pkg_get.pkg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 69120 Aug 27 01:12 pkg_get.pkg

    I'm getting the basics down - slowly but surely - but how can I get
    this package installed and usable?

    Sincerely,

    Jamen McGranahan

  12. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Just to update you on my progress - I did finally get pkg-get
    installed and running, though I had to use the PATH command again (but
    that's good - gives me more practice). It took me a little while but
    it is working. Now what I am trying to get using pkg-get is CSWsamba.
    On blastwave.org, it is listed here:

    http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/samba

    However, whenever I try to use pkg-get to grab the software, I get *
    surprise surprise * another error. Using pkg-get -a to see what is
    available, CSWsamba is not even listed. :-( So, is there another
    comparable piece of software that we can use to accomplish the same
    task (found here, http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/04/25...ion-version-3/,
    under Installing Blastwave packages)?

    Sincerely,
    Jamen McGranahan

  13. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen wrote:

    > However, whenever I try to use pkg-get to grab the software, I get *
    > surprise surprise * another error. Using pkg-get -a to see what is
    > available, CSWsamba is not even listed. :-( So, is there another

    pkg-get -i samba (not CSWsamba)

    This is all I had to do to get CSWsamba from scratch on a Solaris 10 machine:

    # /bin/bash
    (user-friendlier shell)
    # export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/opt/csw/bin

    # pkgadd -d http://blastwave.network.com/csw/pkg_get.pkg
    (install pkg-get directly from website, no need to wget it separately!)

    # pkg-get -i samba
    (install CSWsamba and all its dependencies!)

    Now you have to create /opt/csw/etc/samba/smb.conf with your settings
    and start samba with

    # /etc/init.d/cswsamba start

  14. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    > # pkgadd -d http://blastwave.network.com/csw/pkg_get.pkg
    > (install pkg-get directly from website, no need to wget it separately!)

    PS: See http://www.blastwave.org/howto.html

  15. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Jamen wrote:
    > Remember, I'm fairly new to command-line administration. I was
    > thinking that you just cannot delete a package - that there's a
    > specific way it has to be removed. Please advise. Thank you!
    >
    > -- Jamen McGranahan

    < snip>

    PLEASE DON'T TOP POST!!!!!

    Try pkgrm

  16. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Thanks! We are making progress - this really helps. Now I have
    CSWsamba installed and running, I have created the file /opt/csw/etc/
    samba/smb.conf (though I am checking with my supervisor on the
    values), krb5.conf is configured based upon values sent to me earlier,
    now the next problem I have is the ldapclient. For some reason, I am
    not able to get the client online.

    First I had this:
    disabled 8:24:03 svc:/network/ldap/client:default

    So I did this:
    # svcadm enable svc:/network/ldap/client:default

    Which seemed to work, but now when I do svcs -a, I see this:
    offline 8:25:41 svc:/network/ldap/client:default

    I thought the enable command would bring the service online. The
    reason I am trying to bring it online is because the ldapclient
    command listed in the blog does not appear to work so I thought maybe
    it needs to be online to do so (based upon the logs):

    # ldapclient -v manual \
    > -a credentialLevel=proxy \
    > -a authenticationMethod=simple \
    > -a proxyDN=cn=proxyuser,cn=Users,dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu \
    > -a proxyPassword=Password1 \
    > -a defaultSearchBase=dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu \
    > -a domainName=vanderbilt.edu \
    > -a defaultServerList=ldaps.vunetid.vanderbilt.edu:636 \
    > -a attributeMap=group:userpassword=userPassword \
    > -a attributeMap=group:memberuid=memberUid \
    > -a attributeMap=group:gidnumber=gidNumber \
    > -a attributeMap=passwd:gecos=cn \
    > -a attributeMap=passwd:gidnumber=gidNumber \
    > -a attributeMap=passwd:uidnumber=uidNumber \
    > -a attributeMap=passwd:homedirectory=unixHomeDirector y \
    > -a attributeMap=passwd:loginshell=loginShell \
    > -a attributeMap=shadow:shadowflag=shadowFlag \
    > -a attributeMap=shadow:userpassword=userPassword \
    > -a objectClassMap=grouposixGroup=group \
    > -a objectClassMap=passwdosixAccount=user \
    > -a objectClassMap=shadow:shadowAccount=user \
    > -a serviceSearchDescriptor=passwd:dc=vanderbilt,dc=ed u?sub \
    > -a serviceSearchDescriptor=group:dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu ?sub

    Parsing credentialLevel=proxy
    Parsing authenticationMethod=simple
    Parsing proxyDN=cn=proxyuser,cn=Users,dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu
    Parsing proxyPassword=Password1
    Parsing defaultSearchBase=dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu
    Parsing domainName=vanderbilt.edu
    Parsing defaultServerList=ldaps.vunetid.vanderbilt.edu:636
    Parsing attributeMap=group:userpassword=userPassword
    Parsing attributeMap=group:memberuid=memberUid
    Parsing attributeMap=group:gidnumber=gidNumber
    Parsing attributeMap=passwd:gecos=cn
    Parsing attributeMap=passwd:gidnumber=gidNumber
    Parsing attributeMap=passwd:uidnumber=uidNumber
    Parsing attributeMap=passwd:homedirectory=unixHomeDirector y
    Parsing attributeMap=passwd:loginshell=loginShell
    Parsing attributeMap=shadow:shadowflag=shadowFlag
    Parsing attributeMap=shadow:userpassword=userPassword
    Parsing objectClassMap=grouposixGroup=group
    Parsing objectClassMap=passwdosixAccount=user
    Parsing objectClassMap=shadow:shadowAccount=user
    Parsing serviceSearchDescriptor=passwd:dc=vanderbilt,dc=ed u?sub
    Parsing serviceSearchDescriptor=group:dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu ?sub
    Arguments parsed:
    authenticationMethod: simple
    defaultSearchBase: dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu
    credentialLevel: proxy
    domainName: vanderbilt.edu
    proxyDN: cn=proxyuser,cn=Users,dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu
    objectclassMap:
    arg[0]: grouposixGroup=group
    arg[1]: passwdosixAccount=user
    arg[2]: shadow:shadowAccount=user
    attributeMap:
    arg[0]: group:userpassword=userPassword
    arg[1]: group:memberuid=memberUid
    arg[2]: group:gidnumber=gidNumber
    arg[3]: passwd:gecos=cn
    arg[4]: passwd:gidnumber=gidNumber
    arg[5]: passwd:uidnumber=uidNumber
    arg[6]: passwd:homedirectory=unixHomeDirectory
    arg[7]: passwd:loginshell=loginShell
    arg[8]: shadow:shadowflag=shadowFlag
    arg[9]: shadow:userpassword=userPassword
    serviceSearchDescriptor:
    arg[0]: passwd:dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu?sub
    arg[1]: group:dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu?sub
    proxyPassword: Password1
    defaultServerList: ldaps.vunetid.vanderbilt.edu:636
    Handling manual option
    Proxy DN: cn=proxyuser,cn=Users,dc=vanderbilt,dc=edu
    Proxy password: {NS1}41fa88f3a945c41140
    Credential level: 1
    Authentication method: 1
    About to modify this machines configuration by writing the files
    Stopping network services
    Stopping sendmail
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: network/smtp:sendmail... success
    Stopping nscd
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: system/name-service-cache:default... success
    Stopping autofs
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 400000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 800000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 1600000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 3200000 microseconds
    stop: system/filesystem/autofs:default... success
    Stopping ldap
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: network/ldap/client:default... success
    nisd not running
    nis(yp) not running
    file_backup: stat(/etc/nsswitch.conf)=0
    file_backup: (/etc/nsswitch.conf -> /var/ldap/restore/nsswitch.conf)
    file_backup: stat(/etc/defaultdomain)=0
    file_backup: (/etc/defaultdomain -> /var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain)
    file_backup: stat(/var/nis/NIS_COLD_START)=-1
    file_backup: No /var/nis/NIS_COLD_START file.
    file_backup: nis domain is "library.vanderbilt.edu"
    file_backup: stat(/var/yp/binding/library.vanderbilt.edu)=-1
    file_backup: No /var/yp/binding/library.vanderbilt.edu directory.
    file_backup: stat(/var/ldap/ldap_client_file)=-1
    file_backup: No /var/ldap/ldap_client_file file.
    Starting network services
    start: /usr/bin/domainname vanderbilt.edu... success
    start: sleep 100000 microseconds
    start: sleep 200000 microseconds
    start: sleep 400000 microseconds
    start: sleep 800000 microseconds
    start: sleep 1600000 microseconds
    start: sleep 3200000 microseconds
    start: sleep 6400000 microseconds
    start: sleep 12800000 microseconds
    start: sleep 25600000 microseconds
    start: sleep 51200000 microseconds
    start: sleep 17700000 microseconds
    start: network/ldap/client:default... timed out
    start: network/ldap/client:default... offline to disable
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: network/ldap/client:default... success
    start: sleep 100000 microseconds
    start: sleep 200000 microseconds
    start: system/filesystem/autofs:default... success
    start: sleep 100000 microseconds
    start: sleep 200000 microseconds
    start: system/name-service-cache:default... success
    start: sleep 100000 microseconds
    start: sleep 200000 microseconds
    start: sleep 400000 microseconds
    start: network/smtp:sendmail... success
    restart: sleep 100000 microseconds
    restart: sleep 200000 microseconds
    restart: milestone/name-services:default... success
    Error resetting system.
    Recovering old system settings.
    Stopping network services
    Stopping sendmail
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: network/smtp:sendmail... success
    Stopping nscd
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: system/name-service-cache:default... success
    Stopping autofs
    stop: sleep 100000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 200000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 400000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 800000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 1600000 microseconds
    stop: sleep 3200000 microseconds
    stop: system/filesystem/autofs:default... success
    ldap not running
    nisd not running
    nis(yp) not running
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain)=0
    recover: open(/var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain)
    recover: read(/var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain)
    recover: old domainname "library.vanderbilt.edu"
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/ldap_client_file)=-1
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/ldap_client_cred)=-1
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/NIS_COLD_START)=-1
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/library.vanderbilt.edu)=-1
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/nsswitch.conf)=0
    recover: file_move(/var/ldap/restore/nsswitch.conf, /etc/
    nsswitch.conf)=0
    recover: stat(/var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain)=0
    recover: file_move(/var/ldap/restore/defaultdomain, /etc/
    defaultdomain)=0
    Starting network services
    start: /usr/bin/domainname library.vanderbilt.edu... success
[...]
    Error (1) while starting services during reset

    -----------

    [ Sep 25 08:22:03 Enabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:22:03 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/ldap/
    ldap_cachemgr") ]
    [ Sep 25 08:24:03 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract
    132 ]
    [ Sep 25 08:24:03 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL ]
    [ Sep 25 08:24:03 Leaving maintenance because disable requested. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:24:03 Disabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:25:41 Enabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:35:55 Disabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:35:55 Enabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:35:55 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/ldap/
    ldap_cachemgr") ]
    [ Sep 25 08:37:55 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract
    147 ]
    [ Sep 25 08:37:55 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL ]
    [ Sep 25 08:37:56 Leaving maintenance because disable requested. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:37:56 Disabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:38:05 Enabled. ]
    [ Sep 25 08:40:05 Disabled. ]

    -- Sincerely
    Jamen McGranahan

  17. Re: new here - wget ./configure

    Just to give you an update:
    I did get the ldapclient to configure correctly. Turns out I was using
    the wrong address for the defaultServerList variable in the ldapclient
    manual command. I thought that was my last issue, but now it looks
    like Kerberos is not installed correctly. I'm not even sure where to
    start with this, but I cannot get kinit to return any value.

    # kinit
    kinit(v5): Client not found in Kerberos database while getting initial
    credentials

    Oh well. My sup told me just to put this to the side for now. Just
    wanted to give you all an update - and to thank you for your excellent
    advice!

    Sincerely,
    Jamen McGranahan

+ Reply to Thread