Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE) - SUN

This is a discussion on Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE) - SUN ; Hi All I've got hold of a Sunblade 2K. Never played with Sun kit before. It comes with the standard 13W3-MALE connection for the video but this system also has a separate PCI VGA type graphics card. I'm trying to ...

  1. Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    Hi All

    I've got hold of a Sunblade 2K. Never played with Sun kit before. It
    comes with the standard 13W3-MALE connection for the video but this
    system also has a separate PCI VGA type graphics card. I'm trying to get
    it to boot

    My quesiton is:

    Is it possible to boot via the PCI card? Is there a key combo to switch
    booting, or will I have to get a 13W3-MALE to HD15-F adaptor to get it
    to work with a standard PC monitor.

    Also will this box work with Solaris 10?

    Thanks

    Paul

  2. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    On 2008-09-23, jokerni wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I've got hold of a Sunblade 2K. Never played with Sun kit before. It
    > comes with the standard 13W3-MALE connection for the video but this
    > system also has a separate PCI VGA type graphics card. I'm trying to get
    > it to boot

    O.K. Do you have a Sun keyboard plugged in? Or at least *some*
    flavor of SUB keyboard? If not, it will instead focus its attention on
    the first serial port -- "A" -- at 9600 baud, FWIW.

    > My quesiton is:
    >
    > Is it possible to boot via the PCI card? Is there a key combo to switch
    > booting, or will I have to get a 13W3-MALE to HD15-F adaptor to get it
    > to work with a standard PC monitor.

    Pull the card with the 13W3, which is in a UPA graphics slot,
    and thus takes precedence over the VGA card in the PCI slot. (Put in a
    blank bracket to keep the airflow proper.)

    But you won't get *anything* on either card until you plug in a
    USB keyboard -- and a Sun one is preferred, since it has more of the
    needed keys than most others.

    > Also will this box work with Solaris 10?

    Yes!

    #uname -a
    SunOS Katana 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

    That is Solaris 10 running in a SB-2000 (which identifies itself
    as SB-1000 as the same system board is used in both).

    You can install it either from the Sun keyboard and monitor, or
    from a serial terminal connected to TTYA in the absence of a keyboard.
    The command will be "boot cdrom" with the Solaris 10 DVD in the DVD-ROM
    drive.

    Do you have disks for your system? If you have not looked at
    them yet, they are not SCSI or IDE -- but rather FC-AL (Fibre Channel -
    Arbitrated Loop). The connector looks like the 80-pin SCA, except that
    it is a 40-pin version of the connector.

    And the side panel has an interlock switch so it must be
    installed for the system to power up. (Well ... you can use a toothpick
    to hold it engaged when doing swapping and such.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    Hi Don

    Thanks a lot for getting back to me. The system seems to be compete
    (with 2 73 gig drives). I have a USB Sun keyboard and mouse.

    Under your instruction I cracked open the box..... only to find that
    the VGA is a daughter card of the 13W3-MALE board

    I'll see if I can dig out a serial cable.

    Is there any reason why its not initializing the VGA board?

    Thanks again

    Paul

  4. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    * jokerni:

    > Under your instruction I cracked open the box..... only to find that
    > the VGA is a daughter card of the 13W3-MALE board

    Does the daughter card also have DVI? If yes then you probably have a
    XVR-1000 gfx card which is probably the best card available for the SB1000.

    If it's a XVR-1000 the VGA output should work out of the box.

    > I'll see if I can dig out a serial cable.
    >
    > Is there any reason why its not initializing the VGA board?

    If the output path has been changed manually to something different then
    yes.

    What you can try is to switch on the Blade with keyboard/mouse
    connected, and as soon as the beep comes up quickly press the power key
    two times. This sets the PROM to standard values temporarily and should
    activate gfx output on the gfx card.

    Ben

  5. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    Hi Ben

    Thanks a lot, I now have a working sunblade. Along with Don's boot
    cdrom comment, as I type this, it seems to be booting the Solaris 10
    DVD.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Paul

  6. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    "jokerni" wrote in message
    > Is there any reason why its not initializing the VGA board?

    Maybe input-device/output-device is set to something other than keyboard and
    screen.

    Disconnecting the keyboard/mouse and connecting via ttya should shed some
    light on the situation.

    Trinean

  7. Re: Sunblade 2000 Booting question (13W3-MALE)

    On 2008-09-24, jokerni wrote:

    > Hi Don
    >
    > Thanks a lot for getting back to me. The system seems to be compete
    > (with 2 73 gig drives). I have a USB Sun keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > Under your instruction I cracked open the box..... only to find that
    > the VGA is a daughter card of the 13W3-MALE board

    Intersting.

    > I'll see if I can dig out a serial cable.

    a crossover one -- pin 2 on one end to pin 3 on the other and
    vise versa. Pin 7 on each end connected together. You might need to
    pull CD, DTR and/or DSR true to get one end or the other to talk, so a
    breakout box would be a good thing to have.

    > Is there any reason why its not initializing the VGA board?

    Well -- a few gueses:

    1) There may be an on-board switch to select whether it feeds the
    VGA connector or the 13W3.

    2) It may default to the 13W3, but be switched by a command from
    a userland program like "fbconfig".

    3) It may be intended to drive two monitors -- the first one would
    by default be the 13W3, and the second one the VGA (after a
    booted OS set it into multi-monitor mode.

    Can you dig out the barcode number on it? Something which
    starts with 501 or 370. Get that number for the first seven digits
    (like a phone number). The extra digits beyond that are the serial
    number of the card.

    Once you have the number -- try web searches on it to see what
    you can find. Usually this will turn up both the same card being
    offered on eBay a few times, and some data sheets about the card.

    My FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook) does not show one like that,
    so it must be from past mid-2000.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564