What can a Sunray 2fs do? - SUN

This is a discussion on What can a Sunray 2fs do? - SUN ; I have a Sunray 2fs connected to my network using a Sunfire V210 running Solaris 10 and srss 3.1. It does the same as a Sunray 1. Can it do any more? Should I upgrade the Sunray server? Barry ===== ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

  1. What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    I have a Sunray 2fs connected to my network using a Sunfire V210
    running Solaris 10 and srss 3.1. It does the same as a Sunray 1.
    Can it do any more? Should I upgrade the Sunray server?

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  2. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    On Sep 17, 5:30*am, Barry OGrady wrote:
    > I have a Sunray 2fs connected to my network using a Sunfire V210
    > running Solaris 10 and srss 3.1. It does the same as a Sunray 1.
    > Can it do any more? Should I upgrade the Sunray server?
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home pagehttp://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og


    The 2FS can do much higher screen resolutions than the SunRay 1, and I
    believe SRSS 4 is a bit faster than previous versions.

    We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    and performance is excellent.

  3. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    Hi,

    Barry OGrady wrote:
    > I have a Sunray 2fs connected to my network using a Sunfire V210
    > running Solaris 10 and srss 3.1. It does the same as a Sunray 1.
    > Can it do any more? Should I upgrade the Sunray server?
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og


    In the latest SRSS(beta now), video playback shall be much enhanced.
    http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry...ware_4_update1

    /michael

  4. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:16:49 -0700 (PDT), thegman wrote:

    >On Sep 17, 5:30*am, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> I have a Sunray 2fs connected to my network using a Sunfire V210
    >> running Solaris 10 and srss 3.1. It does the same as a Sunray 1.
    >> Can it do any more? Should I upgrade the Sunray server?
    >>
    >> Barry
    >> =====
    >> Home pagehttp://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    >
    >The 2FS can do much higher screen resolutions than the SunRay 1, and I
    >believe SRSS 4 is a bit faster than previous versions.
    >
    >We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    >and performance is excellent.


    Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.
    I thought it was meant to be able to connect to a Windows server without
    using srwc but that seems not to be so.
    How can I use the video in on the Sunray 1 with Solaris 10.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  5. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    Barry OGrady writes:

    >>We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    >>and performance is excellent.


    >Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    >I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.


    The 2FS and the 2 are pretty much the same; but the first one has
    more graphics memory.

    >I thought it was meant to be able to connect to a Windows server without
    >using srwc but that seems not to be so.


    You need that and you need to run a SRSS server before you can connect
    to Windows.

    >How can I use the video in on the Sunray 1 with Solaris 10.


    Dunno.

    Casper
    --
    Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    be fiction rather than truth.

  6. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Barry OGrady writes:
    >
    >>>We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    >>>and performance is excellent.

    >
    >>Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    >>I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.

    >
    > The 2FS and the 2 are pretty much the same; but the first one has
    > more graphics memory.
    >


    Is there any improvement in graphics speed with the 2fs over the 2, or is
    it just the increased screen resolution and the possibility of driving more
    than one monitor?

    Do any of these have any OpenGL capabilities?


    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  7. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    On Sep 29, 4:22*pm, tristram.sc...@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott)
    wrote:
    > Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >
    > > Barry OGrady writes:

    >
    > >>>We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    > >>>and performance is excellent.

    >
    > >>Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    > >>I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.

    >
    > > The 2FS and the 2 are pretty much the same; but the first one has
    > > more graphics memory.

    >
    > Is there any improvement in graphics speed with the 2fs over the 2, or is
    > it just the increased screen resolution and the possibility of driving more
    > than one monitor?
    >
    > Do any of these have any OpenGL capabilities?
    >
    > --
    > Dr Tristram J. Scott * * * * * * *
    > Energy Consultant * * * * * * * * *


    No Sun Ray has any graphics acceleration beyond basic 2D, but I
    believe VIS on SPARC can be used to accelerate some operations before
    it gets sent to Sun Ray essentially as a bitmap.

    The 2FS also has a fiber optic network port, maybe that could go
    faster than traditional networks, not sure.

  8. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    thegman wrote:
    > No Sun Ray has any graphics acceleration beyond basic 2D, but I
    > believe VIS on SPARC can be used to accelerate some operations before
    > it gets sent to Sun Ray essentially as a bitmap.
    >
    > The 2FS also has a fiber optic network port, maybe that could go
    > faster than traditional networks, not sure.


    Thanks for your answer. That is very useful to know.


    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  9. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    Hi,

    thegman wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 4:22 pm, tristram.sc...@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott)
    > wrote:
    >> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Barry OGrady writes:
    >>>>> We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    >>>>> and performance is excellent.
    >>>> Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    >>>> I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.
    >>> The 2FS and the 2 are pretty much the same; but the first one has
    >>> more graphics memory.

    >> Is there any improvement in graphics speed with the 2fs over the 2, or is
    >> it just the increased screen resolution and the possibility of driving more
    >> than one monitor?
    >>
    >> Do any of these have any OpenGL capabilities?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dr Tristram J. Scott
    >> Energy Consultant

    >
    > No Sun Ray has any graphics acceleration beyond basic 2D, but I
    > believe VIS on SPARC can be used to accelerate some operations before
    > it gets sent to Sun Ray essentially as a bitmap.
    >
    > The 2FS also has a fiber optic network port, maybe that could go
    > faster than traditional networks, not sure.

    Fiber or copper interface has not got to do with speed on the Sunray,
    its more about security in military applications and such since it is
    not easy to "tap" data from a fiber connection.

    /michael

  10. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 05:03:48 -0700 (PDT), thegman wrote:

    >On Sep 29, 4:22*pm, tristram.sc...@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott)
    >wrote:
    >> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >>
    >> > Barry OGrady writes:

    >>
    >> >>>We've got a Sun Ray 2 (not FS) at work and SRSS 4, very happy with it,
    >> >>>and performance is excellent.

    >>
    >> >>Thanks. The 2fs does seem to be faster though that could be because
    >> >>I'm using a faster server. I'll look for that updated srss 4.

    >>
    >> > The 2FS and the 2 are pretty much the same; but the first one has
    >> > more graphics memory.

    >>
    >> Is there any improvement in graphics speed with the 2fs over the 2, or is
    >> it just the increased screen resolution and the possibility of driving more
    >> than one monitor?
    >>
    >> Do any of these have any OpenGL capabilities?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dr Tristram J. Scott * * * * * * *
    >> Energy Consultant * * * * * * * * *

    >
    >No Sun Ray has any graphics acceleration beyond basic 2D, but I
    >believe VIS on SPARC can be used to accelerate some operations before
    >it gets sent to Sun Ray essentially as a bitmap.
    >
    >The 2FS also has a fiber optic network port, maybe that could go
    >faster than traditional networks, not sure.


    The optical network port uses 100fx which is 100 Mbs, so no faster.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  11. Re: What can a Sunray 2fs do?

    [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    thegman
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > Is there any improvement in graphics speed with the 2fs over the 2, or is
    > > it just the increased screen resolution and the possibility of driving mo=

    > re
    > > than one monitor?


    > > Do any of these have any OpenGL capabilities?


    > No Sun Ray has any graphics acceleration beyond basic 2D


    This is an orthogonal issue. SR 1 and 2 had too little memory to
    support software OpenGL. Do not know about 2fs...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread