Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts - SUN ; In article , Dave wrote: > D. wrote: > > > I can also include for a small additional fee (10$) a SCSI to IDE adapter, > > to plug a big fat IDE disk inside an external SCSI enclosure. ...

  1. Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts

    In article <48cb81ef@212.67.96.135>, Dave wrote:

    > D. wrote:
    >
    > > I can also include for a small additional fee (10$) a SCSI to IDE adapter,
    > > to plug a big fat IDE disk inside an external SCSI enclosure. You'd have to
    > > get your own enclosure though, as I don't have any.

    > Can you show me anywhere I could get a SCSI -> IDE adapter for $10? I
    > paid about бё40 (around $70 USD) for mine which allowed one to use a DVD
    > drive in my Sun Blade 2000. I think the versions for disks are about the
    > same, or perhaps a bit more.
    >
    > Personally, I rekon the adapter would be worth more than the rest of the
    > machine. One Ultra 2 sold on eBay for less than $11
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230284948616
    >
    > but I chucked out 4 x SPARC 20's the other day, and had I had an Ultra
    > 2, it would have gone with the SPARC 20's to the tip. Personally, I
    > could not be bothered to:
    >
    > 1) List it on eBay
    > 2) Paypal fees, or waste time going to the bank to put a cheque in
    > 3) Package the item up
    > 4) Take it to the post office
    >
    > all for under $11. You must be joking.
    >
    > Still, I believe scrap metal prices are quite high now,

    I tend to put older stuff on Craigs List to give away. So far someone
    has always come and picked it up.

    Josh

  2. Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts

    Josh McKee wrote:
    > I tend to put older stuff on Craigs List to give away. So far someone
    > has always come and picked it up.

    For giving away, try also freecycle.org

    I tried craigslist once. Granted, I was selling, not giving,
    but the first contact was from someone who had ignored the
    "not OK to contact seller with offers of services"
    and all others were from people who were interested, but
    OBVIOUSLY had not bothered to actually read the approx.
    fifty words of the advert!

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Amigos Falsos
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=108

  3. Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts

    On 09/13/2008 11:07 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Josh McKee wrote:
    >> I tend to put older stuff on Craigs List to give away. So far someone
    >> has always come and picked it up.

    > For giving away, try also freecycle.org
    >
    > I tried craigslist once. Granted, I was selling, not giving,
    > but the first contact was from someone who had ignored the
    > "not OK to contact seller with offers of services"
    > and all others were from people who were interested, but
    > OBVIOUSLY had not bothered to actually read the approx.
    > fifty words of the advert!

    Well if you had tried *giving* stuff on Craigslist, the first email you
    would have received would likely have been along those lines:

    Dear Sir /Madam
    Please give me Y phone n/b for pick them up
    thanks

    I received that one a couple of days ago, mere minutes after I posted an ad
    for free electronic chips (like a few PICs, some misc components and so on).

    Craigslist has its own ecosystem, including professional freebies scavengers.

    Thanks!
    D.

  4. Re: [FS - Toronto] Loaded Sun Ultra 2 + plenty of parts

    D. wrote:
    > Well if you had tried *giving* stuff on Craigslist, the first email you
    > would have received would likely have been along those lines:
    >
    > Dear Sir /Madam
    > Please give me Y phone n/b for pick them up
    > thanks

    I can believe it. Next time I have a freebie, I'll post to both
    craigslist and freecycle.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "A man with an experience is never
    at the mercy of a man with an argument."
    -- Ron Allen

+ Reply to Thread