Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30 - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30 - SUN ; Hi DoN .... and others! I'll start off this post with another SUCCESS! I exchanged the "cages" between the Ultra 30 I have in the office and the one Kenn gave me. I booted the Sun in the office and ...

  1. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    Hi DoN .... and others!

    I'll start off this post with another SUCCESS!

    I exchanged the "cages" between the Ultra 30 I have in the office and
    the one Kenn gave me. I booted the Sun in the office and it read a CD!
    :-)

    > Great! This gives you a replacement system board, too, so you
    >can use both serial ports (among other things).

    Yes! Remembering your comment that it was nice to have spare
    systems, which I haven't had spare actual computers in the past (though I
    have a spare on a couple of other things), I'm thinking that I may
    eventually look into seeing whether this Ultra 30 that Kenn gave me could
    be a spare for what I have in the office.

    (Also, it has 256 MB of RAM, eight "cards" where "mine" has 4 [128
    MB]. I am also thinking -- eventually -- perhaps I could allow "mine" to
    have more memory!)

    I would eventually still want to replace the CD drive, and I will
    want to look at the motherboard. (I'll add more below.)

    >Hmm ... does this one use a CD-ROM drive or a DVD-ROM drive? My

    It was a CD drive.

    >> It has a CPU fan missing, and there is some sort of clip that is
    >> broken, but could be soldered.

    > "some sort of clip" for *what* -- and where?

    He said there was a metal "clip" (I believe "clip" was the word he
    used) and he accidentally broke one of the metal pieces and it could be
    soldered back. I had the impression it had something to do with the CPU
    fan, because I was thinking it was while he was removing that that he said
    he broke it.

    At the moment, I have no idea what he's talking about, but that
    doesn't surprise me! :-)

    At the moment, I appear to have a fully functioning Sun again, post
    lightning strike, and that makes me happy -- for right now! :-D

    > There are -- but the side panel on the other side is permanent.
    >You'll need to remove the bracket which carries the CD/DVD-Rom drive
    >*and* the floppy -- along with a possible optional tape drive as well.

    Neither one had a tape drive. They both had the CD and floppy
    drives.

    >6) You can now slide the drive cage all the way out, and can
    > now access the screws from both sides, allowing removing
    > the drive from the cage. (But -- if you have the same drives in
    > both systems -- why not pull the entire cage from both, and
    > exchange them?) It will be easier and you can probably
    > disconnect the cables at the system board end instead of at the
    > drives.

    Thank you! This is exactly what I did! :-) I replaced the entire
    cages, and I just disconnected/connected four cables, the power of both
    drives, and the data (SCSI for the CD) of both drives. This was faster!
    :-)

    >> Before I break something, there must be a "nice" way to get the RIGHT
    >> side of the cabinet open, so that I can remove those screws, too!

    > It is not *made* to come open. Instead -- the drive carrier is
    >made to pull out the front.

    Then I'm sure glad I asked! :-O I see that, now. The technical
    manual that I got from Sun that Trinean mentioned plus your usual
    wonderful help allowed me to accomplish this without a single problem! (I
    even got the bezels off without too much trouble!)

    > I have a question -- does the drive "eject" before you start to
    >boot, or only when booted? I remember having problems with one which
    >ejected volutarily when booted.

    The drawer wouldn't close at all. I used to hear it "spin up" (and
    see the light flash) after I closed the drawer. It doesn't "spin up" now,
    and the "cup holder" always opened again, whether there was a CD drive in
    or not! :-O (After I powered it off, I was able to push the drawer in,
    and it stayed in.)

    > Also -- check that the SCSI cable is connected *firmly* at both
    >ends. If it is not, it could be sending confusing signals to the drive,
    >causing it to eject.

    I did check on this. But, it was in all the way, so far as I could
    tell.

    So, I'm ending with this with a report of WONDERFUL SUCCESS in that
    my Sun can read CDs again, and the drawer even stays closed! :-D

    There are sure SO MANY THINGS associated with lightning strikes! :-O

    It appears that an old DEC LA75 which I and my mother used, connected
    to our VT terminals (VT330 in the office for me, the VT220 in her bedroom
    for her) isn't working any more. It doesn't work from my terminal nor
    hers, but both terminals appear to be working perfectly.

    I'll eventually look into this, but that ISN'T CRITICAL. In fact, I
    don't know that I'll even look to replace it. I have an HP All-in-One
    9110, so we have both been able to print our bank reconciliation reports
    on that.

    And, this morning, I decided to look at the manuals of the two new
    D-Link things I've purchased recently, the DGS-2205 (Ethernet switch/hub)
    and the EBR-2310 (router/firewall). I put the first CD in the second of
    the two DVD drives in my Linux computer, and guess what...

    Now I have a cup holder on the Linux! :-(

    I had an old (purchased in 1999, with the computer) DVD read only
    drive, and I purchased a DVD read/writer drive around 2006. It is the
    older, read only DVD drive. I don't hear a "spin up" and the CD comes out
    in the same orientation as when it went in. It seems identical to the
    Sun!

    But, the newer one works fine. I was able to read both CDs (and
    print the small manuals) in that drive.

    Since I have one working, this isn't as critical, either, though I
    will -- eventually -- replace it.

    I'll be glad when I've tried to use EVERYTHING again, post lighting
    strike! :-O (I think I should be about there...)

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

  2. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    On 2008-09-07, Barry L. Bond wrote:

    > Hi DoN .... and others!
    >
    > I'll start off this post with another SUCCESS!
    >
    > I exchanged the "cages" between the Ultra 30 I have in the office and
    > the one Kenn gave me. I booted the Sun in the office and it read a CD!
    >:-)

    Great!

    >> Great! This gives you a replacement system board, too, so you
    >>can use both serial ports (among other things).

    > Yes! Remembering your comment that it was nice to have spare
    > systems, which I haven't had spare actual computers in the past (though I
    > have a spare on a couple of other things), I'm thinking that I may
    > eventually look into seeing whether this Ultra 30 that Kenn gave me could
    > be a spare for what I have in the office.

    Good plan.

    > (Also, it has 256 MB of RAM, eight "cards" where "mine" has 4 [128
    > MB]. I am also thinking -- eventually -- perhaps I could allow "mine" to
    > have more memory!)

    Yes -- since the system has 16 slots, you could load one system
    up to 384 MB -- or you could keep your eyes open for bigger DIMMs (which
    is what the "cards" are called). The Ultra-30 and Ultra-60 can have up
    to 2 GB of RAM with the right DIMMs (and they must match in groups of
    four).

    And are you *sure* that the new system has 256 MB? Have you
    looked at the Sun part numbers on the DIMMs? Here are the numbers and
    their sizes:

    501-2479 16 MB
    501-2622 32 MB <====<< This is probably what you have four of.
    501-2480 64 MB
    501-5691 64 MB
    501-3136 128 MB

    If the other system has eight DIMMs -- it *could* have as much as
    1GB of RAM in it.

    No jumpers to change when you change the size of the DIMMs --
    the system figures it all out and treats it as a single contiguous block
    of RAM.

    > I would eventually still want to replace the CD drive, and I will
    > want to look at the motherboard. (I'll add more below.)

    O.K.

    >>Hmm ... does this one use a CD-ROM drive or a DVD-ROM drive? My

    > It was a CD drive.
    >
    >>> It has a CPU fan missing, and there is some sort of clip that is
    >>> broken, but could be soldered.

    >> "some sort of clip" for *what* -- and where?

    > He said there was a metal "clip" (I believe "clip" was the word he
    > used) and he accidentally broke one of the metal pieces and it could be
    > soldered back. I had the impression it had something to do with the CPU
    > fan, because I was thinking it was while he was removing that that he said
    > he broke it.

    Hmm ... the CPU is a plug-in module on a printed circuit card,
    and the fan is in the bottom front of the system box -- drawing air over
    the PCI cards and framebuffer and the CPU. There is another (smaller)
    fan in the power supply -- and you have to pull the power supply to gain
    access to the DIMM sockets and to (possibly) remove and replace the
    system board.

    > At the moment, I have no idea what he's talking about, but that
    > doesn't surprise me! :-)

    Note that if it is a *spring* clip, it probably won't solder
    well, and if you *do* manage to solder it, it will lose its springiness.

    > At the moment, I appear to have a fully functioning Sun again, post
    > lightning strike, and that makes me happy -- for right now! :-D

    I'll bet.

    >> There are -- but the side panel on the other side is permanent.
    >>You'll need to remove the bracket which carries the CD/DVD-Rom drive
    >>*and* the floppy -- along with a possible optional tape drive as well.

    > Neither one had a tape drive. They both had the CD and floppy
    > drives.

    Fairly common setup. The tape drives were options, and most
    people did not add them.

    >>6) You can now slide the drive cage all the way out, and can
    >> now access the screws from both sides, allowing removing
    >> the drive from the cage. (But -- if you have the same drives in
    >> both systems -- why not pull the entire cage from both, and
    >> exchange them?) It will be easier and you can probably
    >> disconnect the cables at the system board end instead of at the
    >> drives.

    > Thank you! This is exactly what I did! :-) I replaced the entire
    > cages, and I just disconnected/connected four cables, the power of both
    > drives, and the data (SCSI for the CD) of both drives. This was faster!
    >:-)

    Looking at the parts breakdown, I think that the power cables
    all join to a single connector which plugs into either the system board,
    or to a cable from the power supply. (I don't remember which from the
    last time I had the power supply out.)

    >>> Before I break something, there must be a "nice" way to get the RIGHT
    >>> side of the cabinet open, so that I can remove those screws, too!

    >> It is not *made* to come open. Instead -- the drive carrier is
    >>made to pull out the front.

    > Then I'm sure glad I asked! :-O I see that, now. The technical
    > manual that I got from Sun that Trinean mentioned plus your usual
    > wonderful help allowed me to accomplish this without a single problem! (I
    > even got the bezels off without too much trouble!)

    Hold onto that manual -- even burn a copy onto a CD-ROM to keep
    it available for future needs.

    >> I have a question -- does the drive "eject" before you start to
    >>boot, or only when booted? I remember having problems with one which
    >>ejected volutarily when booted.

    > The drawer wouldn't close at all. I used to hear it "spin up" (and
    > see the light flash) after I closed the drawer. It doesn't "spin up" now,
    > and the "cup holder" always opened again, whether there was a CD drive in
    > or not! :-O (After I powered it off, I was able to push the drawer in,
    > and it stayed in.)

    O.K. So it was a true cup holder, not a CD-ROM drive. :-)

    >> Also -- check that the SCSI cable is connected *firmly* at both
    >>ends. If it is not, it could be sending confusing signals to the drive,
    >>causing it to eject.

    > I did check on this. But, it was in all the way, so far as I could
    > tell.

    O.K. Damage to the drive, then.

    > So, I'm ending with this with a report of WONDERFUL SUCCESS in that
    > my Sun can read CDs again, and the drawer even stays closed! :-D

    I'll bet.

    > There are sure SO MANY THINGS associated with lightning strikes! :-O
    >
    > It appears that an old DEC LA75 which I and my mother used, connected
    > to our VT terminals (VT330 in the office for me, the VT220 in her bedroom
    > for her) isn't working any more. It doesn't work from my terminal nor
    > hers, but both terminals appear to be working perfectly.

    O.K. More damage.

    > I'll eventually look into this, but that ISN'T CRITICAL. In fact, I
    > don't know that I'll even look to replace it. I have an HP All-in-One
    > 9110, so we have both been able to print our bank reconciliation reports
    > on that.

    O.K. Nice to have an alternate printer for when things go
    strange.

    > And, this morning, I decided to look at the manuals of the two new
    > D-Link things I've purchased recently, the DGS-2205 (Ethernet switch/hub)
    > and the EBR-2310 (router/firewall). I put the first CD in the second of
    > the two DVD drives in my Linux computer, and guess what...
    >

    > Now I have a cup holder on the Linux! :-(

    Oops!

    > I had an old (purchased in 1999, with the computer) DVD read only
    > drive, and I purchased a DVD read/writer drive around 2006. It is the
    > older, read only DVD drive. I don't hear a "spin up" and the CD comes out
    > in the same orientation as when it went in. It seems identical to the
    > Sun!

    O.K. Interesting that things this deep into two computers were
    damaged, yet the majority of the computers still work.

    > But, the newer one works fine. I was able to read both CDs (and
    > print the small manuals) in that drive.

    Great!

    > Since I have one working, this isn't as critical, either, though I
    > will -- eventually -- replace it.

    And look into the ACard suggested by another poster here. Using
    that, you can mount a DVD+-RW drive in the Sun, and burn DVDs from the
    Sun.

    > I'll be glad when I've tried to use EVERYTHING again, post lighting
    > strike! :-O (I think I should be about there...)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564