Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra30 - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra30 - SUN ; Hi Dave! >What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300, >360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay >now, so you might want to change ...

  1. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra30

    Hi Dave!

    >What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
    >360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
    >now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

    Kenn didn't remember for sure the speed of this one. Mine is 248Mhz.
    He thought this one was slower, actually.

    I know, but I have spent about $2,000 in recovery from a lightning
    strike, plus this month (September) is the most expensive for me, anyway,
    because both my car insurance (renewed for 6 months) and my house
    insurance (annual) are renewed this month!

    If I don't absolutely have to, I'm not getting anything else right
    now, even if that something isn't too expensive. I'm paying $160 more a
    month than I have to on my mortgage, and it is very important to me to get
    my house paid off.

    >Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
    >manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
    >have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
    >bit from time to time.

    Yes, thank you! Trinean's followup gave me just what I needed! :-)

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

  2. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    On 2008-09-06, Barry L. Bond wrote:

    > Hi Dave!
    >
    >>What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
    >>360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
    >>now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

    > Kenn didn't remember for sure the speed of this one. Mine is 248Mhz.
    > He thought this one was slower, actually.

    Hmm ... pull the CPU out of the new system and look at the
    barcode number.

    501-4857 250 MHz 1 MB Cache
    501-4196 300 MHz 2 MB Cache
    501-4849 300 MHz 2 MB Cache

    The '-' may or may not be present in the barcode, and there will be
    extra digits following which constitute the serial number of the module.

    [ ... ]

    >>Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
    >>manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
    >>have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
    >>bit from time to time.

    > Yes, thank you! Trinean's followup gave me just what I needed! :-)

    Good!

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    On 2008-09-06, Barry L. Bond wrote:

    > I know, but I have spent about $2,000 in recovery from a lightning
    > strike, plus this month (September) is the most expensive for me, anyway,
    > because both my car insurance (renewed for 6 months) and my house
    > insurance (annual) are renewed this month!

    Does not your household contents insurance cover you. We were struck by
    lightning a few months ago, which killed an assortment of stuff, all of which,
    including the SB2000 I'm typing this on, were paid for by the insurance.

    Trying to make a claim for a non-PC, non-Mac computer was, er, interesting.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  4. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    Hi Huge!

    >Does not your household contents insurance cover you. We were struck by
    >lightning a few months ago, which killed an assortment of stuff, all of which,
    >including the SB2000 I'm typing this on, were paid for by the insurance.
    >
    >Trying to make a claim for a non-PC, non-Mac computer was, er, interesting.

    Yes, it would, but frankly I'm not positive yet that I'm going to try
    to file a claim for it...

    In 1991, I was on a really low salary, and had one computer. And the
    apartment complex building I was in was directly struck by lightning. The
    fire department came and we all evacuated. It was early evening, and I
    was home. I had unplugged things I've never unplugged before -- even the
    refrigerator! :-O

    We were let back in around 9:30, I believe. So, I started going
    around and plugging things back in. Well, it turns out my computer was
    fried -- even though I had it unplugged from the wall and the serial
    devices I had connected even then disconnected!!

    (Evidently, because it was the first thing I plugged back in, because
    I had wanted to let it start booting while I went around and plugged other
    things in, it *might have been* my plugging it in [first] that fried it!
    I sent it back to Frank Hogg labs in New York [I had an OS-9 Computer in
    those days], and he said it wasn't repairable! He sent a letter, and I
    filed the insurance claim. They paid for a replacement.)

    But, I just don't have the time I had then. I have replaced the
    stereo receiver box, two telephones, an answering machine, the Cyclades
    16-port serial card that was in the Linux computer (for which I have
    purchased the ESP-16 Serial Hub), an Ethernet port on the Sun, two wall
    switches, and I'm sure a couple of other things that aren't coming
    immediately to mind [and not including the CD drive on the Sun, one on the
    Linux, the LA75 printer, if I decide they're truly gone], etc.

    I haven't received any kind of letter or anything else on any of
    these devices that there were "killed" by the lightning. If I were to
    need to get such "professional opinions" on some or all of these things, I
    don't think it would be worth it. I just don't have time right now.

    I contacted Peet Brothers this past week. They are going go give me
    $100 off a new Ultimeter 2100 weather station (because my Ultimeter 2000
    is completely dead, and the wind sensor [struck by lightning] isn't even
    on the mast any more!), and they'll be getting my current weather station
    as the indication. They may be able to send me something (when they test
    it) that indicates it was destroyed by lightning. I don't know whether
    the report that the weather station was destroyed by lightning would
    suffice for the other things that "I say" was also destroyed. I doubt it.

    I thank you for mentioning it. And, I am aware that lightning is one
    of the covered items of my insurance. But, the things to prove it (and
    again, if I have to "prove it" for all of these devices), I just don't
    know that I'm going to try, this time.

    For right now, I am keeping track of the expenses I have that I know
    are due to the lightning strike. And, I'm still thinking on it. But,
    that's my current thoughts...

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last
    bbondATcfl.rr.com | updated February 17, 2005)

+ Reply to Thread