SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS
Vol 127 Issue 1 2008-09-01 Article 20525 from section "Storage"

Read about another approach

Sun blogger Anatol Studler makes that case in a recent blog that you
should avoid placing SSDs in traditional arrays.

A traditional array has a controller with a certain fixed amount of
compute power and I/O capability. Placing fast SSDs into an array
designed for traditional disks is, "is quite surprising to me, as it
is comparable to place a 8-cylinder bi-turbo engine with 450HP into
an entry level car."

Anatol continues, "Traditional midrange arrays are developed to
handle hundreds of traditional (15k RPM) harddisk drives. A
traditional harddisk is capable of running about 250 IO/s. Now if we
compare this with the actual enterprise class Solid State Disks
available on the market, a single solid state disk can do about 50k
IO/s read or 12k IO/s write. So in fact it is about 100x faster than
a 15k RPM harddisk."

A fast array controller capable of delivering 500k I/Os would hard
pressed to keep up with just 10 SSDs.

Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=20525

Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you
via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections that you
select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at
http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe
Free 4-week trial is available.
(c) 2008 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com