Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30 - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30 - SUN ; "Dave" wrote in message news:48c247c3@212.67.96.135... > What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300, > 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay > now, ...

  1. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    "Dave" wrote in message news:48c247c3@212.67.96.135...
    > What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
    > 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
    > now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

    You're probably thinking of the Ultra 60 which is the big brother to the
    Ultra 30.
    The Ultra 30 can only take a single 250 MHz or 300 MHz CPU.

    The Ultra 60 can take up to 2 CPUs of 300/360/450 MHz.

    Trinean

  2. Re: CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

    On 2008-09-06, Trinean wrote:
    > "Dave" wrote in message news:48c247c3@212.67.96.135...
    >> What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
    >> 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
    >> now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

    > You're probably thinking of the Ultra 60 which is the big brother to the
    > Ultra 30.
    > The Ultra 30 can only take a single 250 MHz or 300 MHz CPU.

    At least that is all that the FEH lists for it. But I would
    still be willing to try it if it is cheap enough.

    Sun says that you can mix CPU speeds of the non-Cu types in the
    Sun Blade 1000 and Sun Blade 2000.

    They also say that you can't mix Cu and non-Cu CPUs, but at the
    time that they said that, the 900 MHz Cu was the only Cu type. I wound
    up for a while with a 1200 MHz Cu and a 900 MHz Cu in my Sun Blade 2000,
    and it worked fine. (I now have two 1200 MHz CPUs, and my wife now has
    both of my 900 MHz CPUs to replace her two 750 MHz non-Cu CPUs. She
    also gained an extra 0.5 GB of RAM during the swap.

    > The Ultra 60 can take up to 2 CPUs of 300/360/450 MHz.

    Right -- I was running two of them for a while before the
    SB-1000 and SB-2000 machines started arriving here. :-)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564