Noise question - SUN

This is a discussion on Noise question - SUN ; Hi fellas, I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. I have never been around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they ...

  1. Noise question

    Hi fellas,
    I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as
    PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. I have never been
    around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for
    1u boxes. I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor
    and keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day. The
    cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted. I just wondered if anyone can rate
    them on a noise level from the fans. The 450's had to go due to them
    sounding like a 747 was in the room. I'm a year away from a dedicated server
    room so we have to tolerate them.
    Any input would be appreciated. I got such a good deal I had to jump on
    it. I just fear a porta cool Liebert and drywall may be in my immediate
    future.

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. Re: Noise question

    In article ,
    "Rob Fraser" wrote:

    > Hi fellas,
    > I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as
    > PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. I have never been
    > around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for
    > 1u boxes. I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor
    > and keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    > problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day. The
    > cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted. I just wondered if anyone can rate
    > them on a noise level from the fans. The 450's had to go due to them
    > sounding like a 747 was in the room. I'm a year away from a dedicated server
    > room so we have to tolerate them.
    > Any input would be appreciated. I got such a good deal I had to jump on
    > it. I just fear a porta cool Liebert and drywall may be in my immediate
    > future.

    I believe there are two versions of the Sun Fire V20z. The early version
    does not appear to have temperature controlled fans and thus funs them
    at full speed (15K RPM) all the time. The later version addressed this
    issue and does have temperature controlled fans.

    I have one of the early versions and while it's a fast system the fan
    noise is ridiculous (I can't even imagine 7 of them together). So much
    so I'm thinking of getting rid of it for something else.

    Josh

  3. Re: Noise question

    Hi,

    Josh McKee schrieb:
    >> I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers
    >> around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for
    >> 1u boxes.

    That crap with the ilo on the first NIC?
    Hmm, wasn't it october 2003 when there was an errata regarding NFS
    packets getting stolen by that ilo bastard...
    These machines seem to haunt me

    >> I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor
    >> and keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    >> problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day. The
    >> cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted.

    >> I'm a year away from a dedicated server

    Puhh! Luckily you seem to be aware of the hell you'll offer you staff.
    In my country you can be fined 50KĄ for an unergonomic worksplace...
    You could get an acceptable server room for that.

    >> Any input would be appreciated. I got such a good deal I had to jump on
    >> it. I just fear a porta cool Liebert and drywall may be in my immediate
    >> future.

    1HE is always a problem -- go with 3HE (e.g. v40Z, redundant power
    supplies!), although core/HE density will decrease.
    You can't get relatively silent fans into 1HE (I guess you're not
    considering custom water cooling for the v20Z.)

    Two v20Zs in use here -- while robust and fast, the single power
    supplies want one to implement redundant services even sooner
    Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see where to put a second power supply in
    a v20Z...

    I prefer the v40Zs: one power supply with to a dedicated ups, one direct
    to protected grid.

    (Anyway v20Z and v40Z are "end of life" products! Read about the
    consequences at Sun)

    Regards,
    Benjamin

  4. Re: Noise question

    > Hi fellas,
    > I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as
    > PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. I have never been
    > around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for
    > 1u boxes. I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor
    > and keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    > problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day. The
    > cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted. I just wondered if anyone can rate
    > them on a noise level from the fans.

    Hi,

    I have no good news for you. From my experience v20z (neither v40z)
    cannot be considered as quiet. I had 6 of them in tech room running for
    few days. From handbook, specs of v20z:

    Acoustic noise
    Less than 6.7 B sound power in ambient temperature of up to 24┬░ C

    And beware of that rack's Plexiglas frontend, it can be cause of
    overheating (easily +10 C degrees) and even more noisy servers. Sun
    servers are usually cooled from front to rear and any glas can block
    flow of fresh cold air.

    Regards,
    Daniel

  5. Re: Noise question

    Ben,
    You know your Compaq's! That is so correct with the ILO cards. It took
    me months with a Network General Sniffer to prove it at the bank I ran the
    server group at! It was the ultimate fight between Compaq and us before HP
    took them.
    I wanted blades but "too expensive, too new resounded in the back of my
    head". the 8700's ran fine but too much relied on one box so I kept racks of
    360's with the ILO's disabled. It also hated Altiris backups as well. I
    remember it well.
    If they think the servers are loud, I build top-fuel drag engines as the
    company's core. When I dyno one. don't even think of answering a phone in
    the shop. They can be heard blocks away and I get a lot of grief about it.
    Is there a firmware update that will control the fan speed or is it hardware
    based? I won't see them for a week.

    Rob

    "Benjamin Rampe" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Josh McKee schrieb:
    >>> I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers around one and I use
    >>> Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for 1u boxes.

    > That crap with the ilo on the first NIC?
    > Hmm, wasn't it october 2003 when there was an errata regarding NFS packets
    > getting stolen by that ilo bastard...
    > These machines seem to haunt me
    >

    >>> I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor and
    >>> keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    >>> problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day.
    >>> The cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted.

    > >> I'm a year away from a dedicated server

    > Puhh! Luckily you seem to be aware of the hell you'll offer you staff.
    > In my country you can be fined 50KĄ for an unergonomic worksplace...
    > You could get an acceptable server room for that.
    >

    >>> Any input would be appreciated. I got such a good deal I had to
    >>> jump on it. I just fear a porta cool Liebert and drywall may be in my
    >>> immediate future.

    > 1HE is always a problem -- go with 3HE (e.g. v40Z, redundant power
    > supplies!), although core/HE density will decrease.
    > You can't get relatively silent fans into 1HE (I guess you're not
    > considering custom water cooling for the v20Z.)
    >
    > Two v20Zs in use here -- while robust and fast, the single power supplies
    > want one to implement redundant services even sooner
    > Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see where to put a second power supply in a
    > v20Z...
    >
    > I prefer the v40Zs: one power supply with to a dedicated ups, one direct
    > to protected grid.
    >
    > (Anyway v20Z and v40Z are "end of life" products! Read about the
    > consequences at Sun)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Benjamin

  6. Re: Noise question

    Rob Fraser wrote:

    > I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as
    > PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. I have never been
    > around one and I use Compaq DL360's presently and they are a bit noisy for
    > 1u boxes. I lucked out as the Sun boxes are in a 48" rack with a LCD mentor
    > and keyboard and KVM. I have a cold room for them in the new shop but the
    > problem is that the room is populated by admin staff during the day. The
    > cabinet is sealed and Plexiglas fronted. I just wondered if anyone can rate
    > them on a noise level from the fans. The 450's had to go due to them
    > sounding like a 747 was in the room. I'm a year away from a dedicated server
    > room so we have to tolerate them.

    On a scale of 1 to 10, the v20z's are a 11 for noise.

    -bruce
    bje@ripco.com

  7. Re: Noise question

    In article ,
    "Rob Fraser" wrote:

    [ snip ]

    > Is there a firmware update that will control the fan speed or is it hardware
    > based? I won't see them for a week.

    Not that I am aware of. I have the latest BIOS and SC software installed
    and the fans run at full speed no matter what. If noise will be a
    problem then I suggest you steer clear of the V20z.

    Josh

+ Reply to Thread