Can't open boot device - SUN

This is a discussion on Can't open boot device - SUN ; Hi, I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot cdrom command. I know the CDROM works in that I was ...

  1. Can't open boot device

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot cdrom
    command.

    I know the CDROM works in that I was able to read software from a Solais 8
    CD.

    I downloaded the Solaris 10 software from Sun and then unzipped and copied
    to a CD.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can't open boot device

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:RvGdnWApZ9sWFVzVnZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > paddy_nyr wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    >> message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot
    >> cdrom
    >> command.
    >>
    >> I know the CDROM works in that I was able to read software from a Solais
    >> 8
    >> CD.
    >>
    >> I downloaded the Solaris 10 software from Sun and then unzipped and
    >> copied
    >> to a CD.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Did you burn the "image" to the CD? If you burned it as a file the CD
    > will have a filesystem on it and will not be bootable.

    Hi,

    I did burn as an "image' and I also did a checksum and compared it to what
    was on the Sun website and all is correct.

    Thamks

  3. Re: Can't open boot device

    paddy_nyr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    > message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot cdrom
    > command.
    >
    > I know the CDROM works in that I was able to read software from a Solais 8
    > CD.
    >
    > I downloaded the Solaris 10 software from Sun and then unzipped and copied
    > to a CD.
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you burn the "image" to the CD? If you burned it as a file the CD
    will have a filesystem on it and will not be bootable.

  4. Re: Can't open boot device

    paddy_nyr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    > message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot cdrom
    > command.

    Where does your cdrom alias at the OBP point to, and what's the SCSI
    ID of your CD-Rom?

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  5. Re: Can't open boot device

    paddy_nyr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    > message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot cdrom
    > command.
    >
    > I know the CDROM works in that I was able to read software from a Solais 8
    > CD.
    >
    > I downloaded the Solaris 10 software from Sun and then unzipped and copied
    > to a CD.
    >
    > Thanks

    Can it be that you are using cd-rw media that the U2 cant read, try cd-r
    media.
    /Jorgen

  6. Re: Can't open boot device

    Hi their. I've installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 2 before. In fact, its
    the machine that is enabling this SSH connection so that I can post and
    read netnews. In order to be of more assistance to you, it would help if
    you give us the output from the initial boot. i.e from power-on to after
    you type boot cdrom at the OK prompt. Note that when I installed Solaris
    10, I did so via a serial console, and all went just fine. Let me know
    and I'll see what I can do to be of more asstance.

    --Thanks
    --Erik

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Jorgen Moquist wrote:

    > Newsgroups
    >
    > paddy_nyr wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on a Sun Ultra 2 but I get the following
    > > message "Can't open boot device". I get this message after the boot c

  7. Re: Can't open boot device

    Erik Heil wrote:
    > Hi their. I've installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 2 before. In fact, its
    > the machine that is enabling this SSH connection so that I can post and
    > read netnews. In order to be of more assistance to you, it would help if
    > you give us the output from the initial boot. i.e from power-on to after
    > you type boot cdrom at the OK prompt. Note that when I installed Solaris
    > 10, I did so via a serial console, and all went just fine. Let me know
    > and I'll see what I can do to be of more asstance.
    >
    > --Thanks
    > --Erik

    If i read you're message right you want the boot path, to the internal
    cdrom @ scsi id 6 ?
    sd@6,0:f is important, scsi id 6 sublun 0 slice f(5) is for Ultra.

    ok boot cdrom
    Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@6,0:f File and args:

    ok probe-scsi-all
    is your friend
    you might set auto boot off while trying.

    ok setenv auto-boot? false
    ok reset
    ok probe-scsi-all
    ok setenv auto-boot? true