    My questions now are if this is possible, and if yes, how it's done.

    Benjamin

  2. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    On 2008-09-05, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > I have a Sun Blade 1000 with two freshly formatted 72GB FC drives on
    > which I want to install Solaris 10 SPARC 5/08. But instead of installing
    > it on one drive I want to build a softwarebased stripeset (RAID0) with
    > the two 72GB drives on which Solaris should be installed into a single
    > partition (should contain only / and swap, no separate /export/home) and
    > from which Solaris should also boot from of course.
    >
    > My questions now are if this is possible, and if yes, how it's done.

    Yes, and;

    http://slacksite.com/solaris/disksuite/disksuite.php

    It's more or less how my Blade2000 is set up, except I have more partitions than
    you.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    In article <6ic0e0Fpl7igU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > I have a Sun Blade 1000 with two freshly formatted 72GB FC drives on
    > which I want to install Solaris 10 SPARC 5/08. But instead of installing
    > it on one drive I want to build a softwarebased stripeset (RAID0) with
    > the two 72GB drives on which Solaris should be installed into a single
    > partition (should contain only / and swap, no separate /export/home) and
    > from which Solaris should also boot from of course.
    >
    > My questions now are if this is possible, and if yes, how it's done.
    >
    > Benjamin

    The SPARC OBP that boots Solaris doesn't know about RAID. At best, you
    can boot from one of the disks of a mirrored set or RAID 1. Once
    Solaris is up and running, any changes made during boot are updated on
    the other member.

    So, relayout those disks to have the same partition layout so that you
    can mirror them with SVM. Otherwise, use one disk for the system and
    the other for application data.

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

  4. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    * Michael Vilain:

    > The SPARC OBP that boots Solaris doesn't know about RAID. At best, you
    > can boot from one of the disks of a mirrored set or RAID 1.

    Mirroring/RAID1 doesn't help me much as I need RAID0 (stripeset).

    > Once
    > Solaris is up and running, any changes made during boot are updated on
    > the other member.

    So that means I first do a regular Solaris install and later convert to
    software RAID? Is this also valid for RAID0 or for RAID1 only?

    > So, relayout those disks to have the same partition layout so that you
    > can mirror them with SVM. Otherwise, use one disk for the system and
    > the other for application data.

    Sadly, neither mirroring nor using the disks separately are what I'm
    looking for.

    Benjamin

  5. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    * Huge:

    > http://slacksite.com/solaris/disksuite/disksuite.php
    >
    > It's more or less how my Blade2000 is set up, except I have more partitions than
    > you.

    Thanks for the link. However, it seems to talk about mirroring only and
    not about striping (RAID0) which is what I need (unless I missed
    something). I'm not sure how to modify the steps given by the manual for
    striping.

    Benjamin

  6. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > I have a Sun Blade 1000 with two freshly formatted 72GB FC drives on
    > which I want to install Solaris 10 SPARC 5/08. But instead of installing
    > it on one drive I want to build a softwarebased stripeset (RAID0) with
    > the two 72GB drives on which Solaris should be installed into a single
    > partition (should contain only / and swap, no separate /export/home) and
    > from which Solaris should also boot from of course.
    >
    > My questions now are if this is possible, and if yes, how it's done.
    >
    > Benjamin

    I don't believe that you could boot from a RAID 0 set. In fact, you
    can't boot from a RAID 1 set! You boot from ONE MEMBER of that set.
    The remaining members of the set are mounted later in the startup process

    The Open Boot PROM is not, AFAIK, smart enough to handle software RAID.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    In article <6id0h6Fq6mqmU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > * Michael Vilain:
    >
    > > The SPARC OBP that boots Solaris doesn't know about RAID. At best, you
    > > can boot from one of the disks of a mirrored set or RAID 1.

    > Mirroring/RAID1 doesn't help me much as I need RAID0 (stripeset).
    >
    > > Once
    > > Solaris is up and running, any changes made during boot are updated on
    > > the other member.

    > So that means I first do a regular Solaris install and later convert to
    > software RAID? Is this also valid for RAID0 or for RAID1 only?
    >
    > > So, relayout those disks to have the same partition layout so that you
    > > can mirror them with SVM. Otherwise, use one disk for the system and
    > > the other for application data.

    > Sadly, neither mirroring nor using the disks separately are what I'm
    > looking for.
    >
    > Benjamin

    Sorry to be so oblique in my prior post. So, let me put it another way.
    There's NO WAY to boot Solaris from a _software_ RAID ANYTHING. Period.
    Clear enough for you?

    The OBP only understands UFS on a very limited way, just enough to look
    for a boot block, load the boot loader, and transfer control to it. So,
    mirrored volumes only work because you're booting from one of the
    mirrored members, then later updating any changes to the other members.
    Striped volumes split the files amongst multiple volumes and this
    confuses the hell out of the OBP.

    All this goes away if you're using HARDWARE RAID as the controller
    handles all the work and just presents a RAID volume to the system as if
    it were a UFS disk. The OBP can boot off that. Be sure to buy a RAID
    disk and controller that works with Solaris. The Windows hardware out
    there probably will not work. That won't help you, but that's the way
    it is.

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

  8. Re: Solaris 10 SPARC on bootable Strpeset?

    * Michael Vilain:

    > Sorry to be so oblique in my prior post. So, let me put it another way.
    > There's NO WAY to boot Solaris from a _software_ RAID ANYTHING. Period.
    > Clear enough for you?

    Yes, thanks. Sorry, I probably have misunderstood your posting.

    > All this goes away if you're using HARDWARE RAID

    Pronanly, but I doubt there is a hardware RAID controller that works
    with the Blade 1000's internal FC disks, and even if there would be one,
    most hardware RAID controllers are relative slow in RAID0 mode.

    > That won't help you, but that's the way it is.

    Well, then I have to live with what I have for now and probably better
    look for a cheap 146GB or 300GB FC disk.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread