How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen? - SUN

This is a discussion on How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen? - SUN ; Hello gurus, I've got a Sun Sparc 5 workstation in my lab. This machine has no monitor attached to it. Well, to make a long story short, I screwed it up and I had to power cycle the whole thing. ...

  1. How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen?

    Hello gurus,

    I've got a Sun Sparc 5 workstation in my lab. This machine has no monitor
    attached to it.

    Well, to make a long story short, I screwed it up and I had to power
    cycle the whole thing.

    However, the machine is not booting up as I can't ping it from my
    station.

    The Sparc 5 has a Sun keyboard attached to it. I read the service manual
    and it claims that we can skip the test phase pressing 'Stop' when
    powering on.

    But this seems not to work. Is there any magic procedure to boot up the
    machine "blindly"? Type 'boot' in the OK prompt or something?

    I think I could fix the problem if I had a screen and was able to see
    what's going on, but this is not possible right now.

    Any input?

    Thanks.

    Mark

  2. Re: How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen?

    mark writes:
    >I've got a Sun Sparc 5 workstation in my lab. This machine has no monitor
    >attached to it.

    >Well, to make a long story short, I screwed it up and I had to power
    >cycle the whole thing.

    >However, the machine is not booting up as I can't ping it from my
    >station.

    >The Sparc 5 has a Sun keyboard attached to it. I read the service manual
    >and it claims that we can skip the test phase pressing 'Stop' when
    >powering on.

    >But this seems not to work. Is there any magic procedure to boot up the
    >machine "blindly"? Type 'boot' in the OK prompt or something?

    Unplug the keyboard. Get something running terminal emulation software
    (ie. HyperTerm or SecureCRT in windows) and connect it serial port to
    serial port with a null modem into ttyA on the SPARC.

    Watch it boot and see where it is erroring out.

    Most likely it needs some fsck action to make it boot the rest of the way.

  3. Re: How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen?

    Doug McIntyre dixit:

    > mark writes:
    >>I've got a Sun Sparc 5 workstation in my lab. This machine has no
    >>monitor attached to it.

    >>Well, to make a long story short, I screwed it up and I had to power
    >>cycle the whole thing.

    >>However, the machine is not booting up as I can't ping it from my
    >>station.

    >>The Sparc 5 has a Sun keyboard attached to it. I read the service
    >>manual and it claims that we can skip the test phase pressing 'Stop'
    >>when powering on.

    >>But this seems not to work. Is there any magic procedure to boot up
    >>the machine "blindly"? Type 'boot' in the OK prompt or something?

    > Unplug the keyboard. Get something running terminal emulation software
    > (ie. HyperTerm or SecureCRT in windows) and connect it serial port to
    > serial port with a null modem into ttyA on the SPARC.
    >
    > Watch it boot and see where it is erroring out.
    >
    > Most likely it needs some fsck action to make it boot the rest of the
    > way.

    Well, finally I got an HyperTerm connection and was able to see the boot
    process. This is the dump:

    ok
    ok
    ok
    Power-ON Reset

    MB86907 POST 2.2.3 03SEP96

    Probing system memory: 32 32 32 32 0 0 0 0
    Config = 880000AA
    512Kb ecache detected
    1.1.1 mem ram walking ones Pass
    1.1.2 mem ram address Pass
    1.1.3 mem ram post r/w
    1.1.4 mem ram obp r/w region Pass
    1.2.1 mem control parity Pass
    2.1.1 srmmu regs read/write Pass
    2.2.1 srmmu ram io-tlb Pass
    2.2.2 srmmu ram d-tlb Pass
    2.2.3 srmmu ram pdt cache Pass
    3.1.1 iommu reg read/write Pass
    3.1.2 iommu reg flush individual Pass
    3.1.3 iommu reg flush all Pass
    3.2.1 iommu timeout ebus Pass
    3.2.2 iommu timeout sbus Pass
    4.1.1 fpu reg regfile Pass
    4.1.2 fpu reg misalign Pass
    4.1.3 fpu reg single precision Pass
    4.1.4 fpu reg double precision Pass
    4.2.1 fpu exceptions single precision Pass
    4.2.2 fpu exceptions double precision Pass
    5.1.1 cache dcache ram Pass
    5.1.2 cache dcache address Pass
    5.1.3 cache dcache tag Pass
    5.1.4 cache dcache clear Pass
    5.2.1 cache icache ram Pass
    5.2.2 cache icache address Pass
    5.2.3 cache icache tag Pass
    5.2.4 cache icache clear Pass
    5.3.1 cache ecache ram Pass
    5.3.2 cache ecache address Pass
    5.3.3 cache ecache tag Pass
    5.4.1 cache snoop ram Pass
    6.1.1 i/o counters processor user timer Pass
    6.1.2 i/o counters processor counter Pass
    6.1.3 i/o counters system counter Pass
    6.2.1 i/o lance getid Pass
    6.2.2 i/o lance csr Pass
    6.2.3 i/o lance rap Pass

    Allocating SRMMU Context Table
    6.2.4 i/o lance rdp Pass

    Mapping ROM

    ttya initialized
    6.3.3 i/o esp fifo access Pass
    Probing Memory Bank #1 32 Megabytes
    6.3.4 i/o esp command reg Pass32 Megabytes
    Probing
    6.4.1 i/o pp register access Pass
    Probing Memory Bank #4 Nothing there
    6.4.2 i/o pp io readback Passre
    Probing Memory Ba
    6.4.3 i/o pp tcr readback Passrobing Memory
    Bank #7 Nothing there
    6.5.1 i/o tod regs test Pass
    Setting NVRAM parameters to de
    6.5.2 i/o tod nvram access PassSetting diag-
    switch? NVRAM param
    7.4.2 intr timer process counter Passps SONET MM FIBER
    Carrier Not Det
    8.1.1 dma apc bypass Passm Checksum OK, =
    d9ad

    Allocating SRMMU Context Tableae
    Setting SRMMU Context Register
    Interrupts Level = 4
    Setting SRMMU Context Table Pointer Register
    Test Passed
    Allocating SRMMU Level 1 Table
    Test Passed
    Test
    Mapping RAMimer
    Mapping ROM
    Test Pass

    ttya initializeding Fragmentatio
    Probing Memory Bank #0 32 Megabytest Passed
    Testing Reassem
    Probing Memory Bank #1 32 Megabytes Passed
    Testing SUNI
    Probing Memory Bank #2 32 Megabytes Test Passed

    Probi
    Probing Memory Bank #3 32 Megabytes at 0,0 Nothing there
    Probing Memory Bank #4 Nothing there
    screen not found.
    Probing Memory Bank #5 Nothing there
    Keyboard no
    Probing Memory Bank #6 Nothing thereutput.
    Probing Memory Bank #7 Nothing therery Bank #0 32 Megabytes
    155 Mbps SONET MM FIBER00/sbus@0,10001000 at 4
    Carrier Not Detected-management
    Test Passed
    Flash Rom Checksum OK, = d9ad
    Probing /iom
    Current MAC Addr = 0 0 77 86 60 ae0 NI,GPIB-SBus
    Factory MAC Addr = 0 0 77 86 60 ae
    Probing /iommu@0,10000000
    Intr Level = 40 at 2,0 SUNW
    Interrupts Level = 4
    4615 Serial Number = 417966/stc FCode initialization c
    Test Passed
    Testing Addgen

    Probi
    Test Passed10000000/sb
    Testing Addgen Timer ia Testing ATM Adap
    Test Passed
    Testing Fragmentation FRED

    Test PassedET MM FIBER
    Testing Reassembly FREDCarrier Not Detected
    Test Passed
    Test
    Testing SUNI
    Flash R
    Test PassedOK, = d9ad
    Self Test Passed
    Curr

    Probing /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000 at 0,0 Nothing thereFactory
    MAC Addr = 0 0 77 86 60 ae
    screen not found. 4

    Can't open input device.

    Probing Memory Bank #3 32 Megabytes
    Test Passed
    Self
    Probing Memory Bank #4 Nothing there /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000 a
    Probing Memory Bank #5 Nothing there
    Probing Memory Bank #6 Nothing thererd
    ROM Re
    Probing Memory Bank #7 Nothing thereial #15705008.
    Incorrect configuration checksum;
    Ethernet address db:ac:70:83:ab
    Setting NVRAM parameters to default values.

    The IDP
    Setting diag-switch? NVRAM parameter to true

    Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma@5
    Probing CPU FMI,MB86907ile and a
    Probing CPU FMI,MB86907ile and a
    4615 Serial Number = 417966
    Test Passed
    Testing Addgen
    Test Passed
    Testing Addgen Timer
    Test Passed
    Testing Fragmentation FRED
    Test Passed
    Testing Reassembly FRED
    Test Passed
    Testing SUNI
    Test Passed
    Self Test Passed

    Probing /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000 at 0,0 Nothing there

    SPARCstation 5, No Keyboard
    ROM Rev. 2.29, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #15705008.
    Ethernet address db:ac:70:83:ab:7b, Host ID: dbefa3b0.

    The IDPROM contents are invalid

    Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma@5,8400010/le@5,8c00000 File and args:
    Internal loopback test -- Did not receive expected loopback packet.

    Can't open boot device

    Type help for more information
    ok

    Once this point is reached, I can't make it boot with boot command.

    Tried:

    boot -s
    boot disk0:a

    Any ideas?

    Mark

  4. Re: How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen?

    > SPARCstation 5, No Keyboard
    > ROM Rev. 2.29, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #15705008.
    > Ethernet address db:ac:70:83:ab:7b, Host ID: dbefa3b0.
    >

    > The IDPROM contents are invalid
    >
    > Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma@5,8400010/le@5,8c00000 File and args:
    > Internal loopback test -- Did not receive expected loopback packet.
    >
    > Can't open boot device
    >
    > Type help for more information
    > ok

    My guess is a bad NVRAM.
    However, the MAC and Host ID look good.

    Maybe try:

    ok set-defaults
    ok setenv auto-boot? false
    ok setenv diag-switch? false
    ok reset

    If it gets to back to the 'ok' prompt without reporting that the IDPROM
    contents are still invalid then do:

    ok probe-scsi

    to see if you can find your disks.

    Trinean

  5. Re: How to boot up a Sun Sparc 5 w/o a screen?

    "Trinean" dixit:

    > My guess is a bad NVRAM.
    > However, the MAC and Host ID look good.
    >
    > Maybe try:
    >
    > ok set-defaults
    > ok setenv auto-boot? false
    > ok setenv diag-switch? false
    > ok reset
    >
    > If it gets to back to the 'ok' prompt without reporting that the IDPROM
    > contents are still invalid then do:
    >
    > ok probe-scsi
    >
    > to see if you can find your disks.

    Well, I tried what you suggested and it worked out.

    You saved my ass, dude. I owe you a beer.

    Thanks a lot.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread