Virtualization options for Sparc? - SUN

This is a discussion on Virtualization options for Sparc? - SUN ; Hi, I'm currently looking into running some virtualized servers on a sparc machine. Unfortunately, it appears that Xen, which would have been my first choice, is not available for sparc. So, right now I'm trying collect what other options I ...

  1. Virtualization options for Sparc?

    Hi,

    I'm currently looking into running some virtualized servers on a sparc
    machine. Unfortunately, it appears that Xen, which would have been my first
    choice, is not available for sparc.

    So, right now I'm trying collect what other options I have on sparc. What I
    have found so far is Solaris Zones/Containers (not sure about the
    difference), Linux VServer and maybe User Mode Linux.

    What I need is something that offers a good amount of (security) seperation
    between the individual guests (and the host), so that even one badly
    compromised guest is of little consequence for the other guests. Ideally,
    each guest would be running its own kernel.

    Performance is a minor issue, since I am not expecting a whole lot of load,
    but obviously all-out cpu emulation is not an option.

    As for Operating Systems, I'd be willing to use Linux, Solaris or Open-,
    Net- or FreeBSD, with a preference for Linux. (I have been using Linux
    extensively for years now and so I am more comfortable with this OS than
    with the others.) In the ideal case I would be able to mix OSes freely.

    Apparently, there are some options out there that will only work on T1
    processors and up. These won't help me, since all I have is some UltraSparc
    II based machines. (2 Ultra 60s and one Ultra 10 to be precise.)

    Anyway, can someone give me some more virtualization options to explore?

    Guido

  2. Re: Virtualization options for Sparc?

    guido wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently looking into running some virtualized servers on a sparc
    > machine. Unfortunately, it appears that Xen, which would have been my first
    > choice, is not available for sparc.
    >
    > So, right now I'm trying collect what other options I have on sparc. What I
    > have found so far is Solaris Zones/Containers (not sure about the
    > difference), Linux VServer and maybe User Mode Linux.
    >
    > What I need is something that offers a good amount of (security) seperation
    > between the individual guests (and the host), so that even one badly
    > compromised guest is of little consequence for the other guests. Ideally,
    > each guest would be running its own kernel.
    >
    > Performance is a minor issue, since I am not expecting a whole lot of load,
    > but obviously all-out cpu emulation is not an option.
    >
    > As for Operating Systems, I'd be willing to use Linux, Solaris or Open-,
    > Net- or FreeBSD, with a preference for Linux. (I have been using Linux
    > extensively for years now and so I am more comfortable with this OS than
    > with the others.) In the ideal case I would be able to mix OSes freely.
    >
    > Apparently, there are some options out there that will only work on T1
    > processors and up. These won't help me, since all I have is some UltraSparc
    > II based machines. (2 Ultra 60s and one Ultra 10 to be precise.)
    >
    > Anyway, can someone give me some more virtualization options to explore?
    >
    > Guido

    How about zones on Solaris 10?

  3. Re: Virtualization options for Sparc?

    guido writes:

    >Performance is a minor issue, since I am not expecting a whole lot of load,
    >but obviously all-out cpu emulation is not an option.

    [...]
    >Apparently, there are some options out there that will only work on T1
    >processors and up. These won't help me, since all I have is some UltraSparc
    >II based machines. (2 Ultra 60s and one Ultra 10 to be precise.)

    Have you checked whether these machines have sufficient RAM capacity to
    run virtual machines in a useful manner?

    The Ultra 10 maxes out at 1GB on the motherboard and the Ultra 60s at 2GB.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  4. Re: Virtualization options for Sparc?

    Greg Andrews wrote:

    > guido writes:
    >>
    >>Performance is a minor issue, since I am not expecting a whole lot of
    >>load, but obviously all-out cpu emulation is not an option.
    >>

    > [...]
    >>
    >>Apparently, there are some options out there that will only work on T1
    >>processors and up. These won't help me, since all I have is some
    >>UltraSparc II based machines. (2 Ultra 60s and one Ultra 10 to be
    >>precise.)
    >>

    > Have you checked whether these machines have sufficient RAM capacity to
    > run virtual machines in a useful manner?
    >
    > The Ultra 10 maxes out at 1GB on the motherboard and the Ultra 60s at 2GB.

    I think so. 2GB is still a lot, especially if you're not expecting a lot of
    load. Our current, non-virtualized server has got only 512 MB and is doing
    fine.

    Currently, the machine in question has 1 GB, but I keep watching EBay for
    good offers...

    What I was planning to run was a mail server with IMAP/POP with accounts for
    about 15 people (all of whom I know in person), a few medium to low traffic
    mailinglists (using mailman, maybe with GPG patches), a nameserver
    (djbdns), a shellserver with about 15 accounts mostly so the users can run
    their beloved irssi-inside-screen sessions, a webserver with one or two
    virtual hosts with strictly static pages and one webserver serving a
    MediaWiki based Wiki, and maybe a further PHP based site which is known to
    be really badly programmed.

    There's a lot of paranoia around these parts about PHP based websites, so
    the users will want to be assured that all PHP enabled servers are
    sufficiently isolated from the servers handling their private mails,
    non-public mailinglists and their private home directories.

    In the end, the interesting question is how much load the systems will see.
    Since we only have 2 MBit/s of upstream, I really doubt that the amount of
    RAM in those machines will turn out to be the bottleneck.

    Guido

  5. Re: Virtualization options for Sparc?

    Guido Winkelmann wrote:
    > Chris "Saundo" Saunderson wrote:
    >
    >> guido wrote:
    >>> What I need is something that offers a good amount of (security)
    >>> seperation between the individual guests (and the host), so that even one
    >>> badly compromised guest is of little consequence for the other guests.
    >>> Ideally, each guest would be running its own kernel.

    >> Zones fit the bill for your first 2 requirements, Logical Domains fit
    >> the last.

    > I have been told that Logical Domains require a seperate CPU for each guest.
    > Is that true? If yes, it's not really an option for me. (There are only 2
    > CPUs in an Ultra 60...)

    you can't use LDOMs on U60, you need at least T2000...

    >>> As for Operating Systems, I'd be willing to use Linux, Solaris or Open-,
    >>> Net- or FreeBSD, with a preference for Linux. (I have been using Linux
    >>> extensively for years now and so I am more comfortable with this OS than
    >>> with the others.) In the ideal case I would be able to mix OSes freely.

    >> Linux branded zones will likely fit your bill.

    > I've googled Linux branded zones, and what I found looks very interesting,
    > although I haven't fully understood it yet. I'll be sure to give this a
    > try.

    but brandz is only for linux kernel 2.4.x. There is also a new project
    for supporting 2.6 kernel, but i am not sure it's a good idea on a prod
    server...

    >>> Anyway, can someone give me some more virtualization options to explore?

    >> Xen based hypervisor solutions pretty much are it. If you're not on the
    >> CMT platforms (T1000/T2000/T5140/T5240/etc) then you're going to either
    >> be doing Zones or Xen.

    > Hm, the Xen website doesn't mention sparc. If such a thing exists, it would
    > definitely be my first choice. Where can I get something like this?

    Xen isn't for sparc machines for what i understand. It's LDOMs

+ Reply to Thread