Solaris Certification - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris Certification - SUN ; happytoday wrote: > On Aug 7, 11:23 am, jpd wrote: >> On 07 Aug 2008 08:02:13 GMT, >> >> Andrew Gabriel wrote: >>> The openboot prom in the Ultra 5/10 will recognise some LSI logic >>> SCSI controllers and boot ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: ATA disks in ultra5/10 hardware (Was: Re: Solaris Certification)

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 7, 11:23 am, jpd wrote:
    >> On 07 Aug 2008 08:02:13 GMT,
    >>
    >> Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>> The openboot prom in the Ultra 5/10 will recognise some LSI logic
    >>> SCSI controllers and boot from them (without requiring openboot
    >>> firmware). Probably need to look for old ones though. These give
    >>> you quite a performance boost over the embedded PATA.

    >> Nice if you have those lying around, and matching SCSI disks. For me
    >> this isn't a server, but a play-develop-tinker-learn box that could use
    >> a speed boost but doesn't come with a budget. Getting a SATA disk is
    >> cheaper, quieter, and probably more performant for this purpose[1].
    >>
    >> So I'd still like to hear about SATA experiences with ultra fives. :-)
    >>
    >> [1] Note the _for this purpose bit_: For other applications I'd indeed
    >> prefer SCSI -- and get the budget to go with it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    >> This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    >> Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    >> consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

    > Again Sorry for repeating the question :
    > What are the less error books that I can buy ??

    I don't know of any error free books on Solaris. The Sun documentation
    at docs.sun.com comes closest.

    Get at least one machine running the Solaris version of your choice.
    Try to do everything the books talk about. You will find which books
    have errors and what those errors are!

    Reading books will not qualify you for a job as a Solaris System
    Administrator or Developer! Experience with real systems running
    Solaris will!

    As I pointed out in an earlier message, hardware that will run Solaris
    is readily available and relatively inexpensive. The Solaris software
    is available for download from Sun or you can order a Solaris Media Kit
    (DVD). It may be free or there may be a small charge; either way it's a
    real bargain!

  2. Re: Solaris Certification again (Was: ATA disks in ultra5/10 hardware

    On Aug 7, 12:25*pm, Tony Sequeira wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:38:31 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > Again Sorry for repeating the question : What are the less error books
    > > that I can buy ??

    > The O'Reilly books generally have a good reputation.
    >
    > http://oreilly.com/
    > --
    > A beautiful man is paradise for the eyes, hell for the soul, and
    > purgatory for the purse.

    What about books in amazon.com ?

  3. Re: Solaris Certification again (Was: ATA disks in ultra5/10 hardware (Was: Re: Solaris Certification))

    Begin
    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:36:53 -0700 (PDT), happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 7, 12:25*pm, Tony Sequeira wrote:
    >> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:38:31 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> > Again Sorry for repeating the question : What are the less error books
    >> > that I can buy ??

    >> The O'Reilly books generally have a good reputation.
    >>
    >> http://oreilly.com/

    > What about books in amazon.com ?

    They're only so-so. I think amazon adds the odd error just to keep
    people sharp.

  4. Re: Solaris Certification again (Was: ATA disks in ultra5/10 hardware

    On Aug 7, 12:25*pm, Tony Sequeira wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:38:31 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > Again Sorry for repeating the question : What are the less error books
    > > that I can buy ??

    > The O'Reilly books generally have a good reputation.
    >
    > http://oreilly.com/
    > --
    > A beautiful man is paradise for the eyes, hell for the soul, and
    > purgatory for the purse.

    I can not find any books in http://oreilly.com about Soalris 10 system
    administration !!!! Please try to help me specifying any good ones .

  5. Re: Solaris Certification again (Was: ATA disks in ultra5/10 hardware

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 7, 12:25 pm, Tony Sequeira wrote:
    >> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:38:31 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> Again Sorry for repeating the question : What are the less error books
    >>> that I can buy ??

    >> The O'Reilly books generally have a good reputation.
    >>
    >> http://oreilly.com/
    >> --
    >> A beautiful man is paradise for the eyes, hell for the soul, and
    >> purgatory for the purse.

    > I can not find any books in http://oreilly.com about Soalris 10 system
    > administration !!!! Please try to help me specifying any good ones .

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris.10~47.16#hic

  6. Re: Solaris Certification

    Michael Vilain pisze:
    > In article
    > <858fbf49-f466-490c-b4a5-c3be2c058e90@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    > ITguy wrote:
    >
    >>> A standard comment about getting most certifications in
    >>> the IT industry - Doing it equals declaring yourself Junior.
    >>> If you're currently Novice that's good. If you're currently
    >>> Intermediate/Advanced that's bad. Consider that I have
    >>> over the years taken certification in Cisco and EMC to
    >>> show that i'm familiar with these side fields of SysAdmin.
    >>> I didn't mind declaring myself junior in those subfields.

    >> I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Certification is
    >> demonstration of a minimum skill level. It's also a requirement for
    >> many jobs. It does you no good to be an "expert" in your field if an
    >> HR department won't even schedule an interview with you because you
    >> lack a basic certification.

    > If the HR department is screen Solaris people based on if they've passed
    > a certification exam or not, you need to hire without their
    > interference. Here in Silcon Valley, a client who works for SUN told me
    > that customers were complaining that experienced sysadmins were hard to
    > find.
    >
    > Most of the "certified Solaris admins" I've talked to _were_ really
    > junior having gotten their experience in training rather than in the
    > trenches. And they weren't very good at solving problems, a key
    > requirement for being a UNIX sysadmin (but probably not so much for a
    > Billyware admin).

    That's very, very basic truth . Over da years I have worked with too
    many fools with ONLY papers and no knowledge. If you can download almost
    all cert exams from net - what's a problem to pass exam? Anyway -
    practice shows always if you know what you're doing or you just thinking
    you know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2