    bus timeouts.

    If that rings a bell, and you feel like exchanging a few emails, send
    me email -

    brad at heeltoe.com

    (the emulation current boots netbsd, and gets pretty far with sunos,
    but gets confused
    while probing ip and xy devices, or at least it seems so)

    thanks!

  2. Re: sun-2; know how sunos booted long ago?

    On 2008-06-12, Brad Parker wrote:
    > I've been trying to boot sunos 2.0 in emulation on a simulated sun-2
    >
    > I'm looking for people who are familiar with very old sunos
    > internals; specifically
    > how device probing occurred and some parts of the multibus mapping.
    > specifically
    > bus timeouts.
    >
    > If that rings a bell, and you feel like exchanging a few emails, send
    > me email -
    >
    > brad at heeltoe.com

    Hmm ... not enough memory to get into an exchange of e-mails,
    but I had (actually, still have) a 2/120, and the one which I had booted
    from a MFM drive connected to a SCSI adaptor -- or to a QIC drive in an
    8" format mount. I also have another 2/120 which I have never run which
    booted from SMD interfaced 8" 168MB drives by Fujitsu, but since I never
    booted it, I don't know how that one was done. The drives were in a
    similar sized "sidecar".

    I may be remembering a boot command from the Sun-3 series
    instead, but I remember a "boot sd(0,0,0)" to boot from the first
    partition of the first disk on the SCSI controller. I think that the
    QIC drive had a similar SCSI adaptor, and it would be booted from
    "st(0,6,0)" or something similar.

    Availability of the documentation of the bus wiring for the
    Multibus was scarce except from the files somewhere in /usr/include. I
    had a lot more documentation on the Cosmos CMS-16/UNX (v7 unix on an
    8MHz 68000 in Multibus). I used that system before the 2/120, and I had
    to do a lot of digging to make that one work. The Sun 2/120 just
    worked, so I learned less about it.

    But there was a command to install a bootblock onto the disk, I
    think the second sector of the first cylinder and track. That pointed
    to another program deep in the /usr tree which was loaded when the
    bootblock was loaded and executed -- I *think*.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: sun-2; know how sunos booted long ago?

    On Jun 12, 4:56 pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
    > On 2008-06-12, Brad Parker wrote:
    > Hmm ... not enough memory to get into an exchange of e-mails,
    > but I had (actually, still have) a 2/120, and the one which I had booted
    > from a MFM drive connected to a SCSI adaptor

    well, if ever want to part with it, send me email.

    I know how to boot from tape and disk (but thanks). My questions are
    much more low level, like how does sunos react to a multibus probe
    when there is no device, i..e bus error or return 0xfffffffff.

    > Availability of the documentation of the bus wiring for the
    > Multibus was scarce except from the files somewhere in /usr/include. I

    there are some good docs on bitsavers (www.bitsavers.org)

    thanks

    -brad

+ Reply to Thread