Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100 - SUN

This is a discussion on Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100 - SUN ; Hi, We bought some used Sun Blade 100s and do not have the firmware password. Does anyone know how to reset it? --- Thanks, R. Meyer...

  1. Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100

    Hi,
    We bought some used Sun Blade 100s and do not have
    the firmware password. Does anyone know how to reset it?
    --- Thanks,
    R. Meyer

  2. Re: Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100

    "Robert Meyer" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AB7961E44AD2meyerclarksonedu@198.186.190. 224...
    > Hi,
    > We bought some used Sun Blade 100s and do not have
    > the firmware password. Does anyone know how to reset it?
    > --- Thanks,
    > R. Meyer

    Will it boot or does it ask for the firmware password just to get to the ok>
    prompt?
    If you can get a bootable OS you can change the password from the OS.
    Otherwise you'll have to replace the NVRAM if the seller can't tell you what
    the password is.

    Trinean

  3. Re: Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100

    So, I should have been a bit more clear.
    There is no OS. They came minus drives,
    and we have put drives in, but of course
    there's no system on them yet. The goal
    is to boot from CD and install a system.

    So, when it fails to boot from the disk,
    hitting STOP-A brings up this message:
    Type go, boot, or login.
    Trying to boot CD, it asks for a password.
    ---R. Meyer

    "Trinean" wrote in

    > "Robert Meyer" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9AB7961E44AD2meyerclarksonedu@198.186.190. 224...
    >> Hi,
    >> We bought some used Sun Blade 100s and do not have
    >> the firmware password. Does anyone know how to reset it?
    >> --- Thanks,
    >> R. Meyer

    > Will it boot or does it ask for the firmware password just to get to
    > the ok> prompt?
    > If you can get a bootable OS you can change the password from the OS.
    > Otherwise you'll have to replace the NVRAM if the seller can't tell
    > you what the password is.
    >
    > Trinean

  4. Re: Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100

    "Robert Meyer" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AB7D69B86DA5meyerclarksonedu@198.186.190. 226...
    > So, I should have been a bit more clear.
    > There is no OS. They came minus drives,
    > and we have put drives in, but of course
    > there's no system on them yet. The goal
    > is to boot from CD and install a system.
    >
    > So, when it fails to boot from the disk,
    > hitting STOP-A brings up this message:
    > Type go, boot, or login.
    > Trying to boot CD, it asks for a password.
    > ---R. Meyer

    If it's wanting to boot from the disk on it's own and you can get a disk
    from a Sun Blade 100 that has the OS already loaded, then you can slap that
    in.

    This is the easiest way since you can use the eeprom command from the OS to
    change the security-mode or security-password settings.

    Assuming you have no machines that aren't password protected you can
    currently boot, then you'll need at least one fresh NVRAM to load yourself a
    working boot disk.

    There is a Stop-N equivalent for the Sun Blade 100/150 that used to work on
    non-USB keyboard systems like the Ultra 10.
    I'm not sure if this will help with a firmware password issue, but to do
    this you need to power on the machine and wait until you see the power
    button blink and hear a beep. Then give the power button a double click (2
    quick presses). If it lets you get to the ok> prompt you'll be able to
    change whatever settings you want.

    Trinean

  5. Re: Firmware password reset on Sun Blade 100

    Robert Meyer wrote:
    > Hi,
    > We bought some used Sun Blade 100s and do not have
    > the firmware password. Does anyone know how to reset it?
    > --- Thanks,
    > R. Meyer

    I don't know if this is valid any longer, but it used to work.

    http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

    Have Fun!
    Reg

+ Reply to Thread