Replacing FC drive in V480 - SUN

This is a discussion on Replacing FC drive in V480 - SUN ; The boot disk of the server is mirrored using Veritas. The primary drive died on us a couple of days ago and was replaced last night by another tech who worked with Veritas to rebuild the mirror. Today I'm seeing ...

  1. Replacing FC drive in V480

    The boot disk of the server is mirrored using Veritas. The primary
    drive died on us a couple of days ago and was replaced last night by
    another tech who worked with Veritas to rebuild the mirror. Today I'm
    seeing these error messages.

    May 21 09:11:41 SunFireV480r picld[224]: [ID 727222 daemon.error]
    Device DISK0 inserted
    May 21 09:17:44 SunFireV480r last message repeated 10 times

    These messages repeat constantly. Is there a way to remove this
    error? After talking to the admin who replaced the drive I'm fairly
    certain that luxadm and devfsadm were not run during the swap but
    perhaps it was not needed or maybe Veritas did it but I don't know
    yet.

    I'm also seeing the error below sporadically which I assume would mean
    I need to replace the other disk as well but I've added them here just
    in case it makes a difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    May 21 12:02:56 SunFireV480r Error for Command:
    write(10) Error Level: Retryable
    May 21 12:02:56 SunFireV480r scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]
    Requested Block: 42372269 Error Block: 42372269
    May 21 12:02:56 SunFireV480r scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]
    Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number: 0346A0SmKP
    May 21 12:02:56 SunFireV480r scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Sense
    Key: Hardware Error
    May 21 12:02:56 SunFireV480r scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] ASC:
    0x19 (defect list error), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x2

  2. Re: Replacing FC drive in V480

    Here's the InfoDoc on the proper way to replace a FC-AL disk under Veritas
    in systems like a Sun Fire 280R or V480:

    http://stringfellow.is-a-geek.org/ss...9-40842-1.html

    All the Veritas steps are there as well as a the luxadm steps in Solaris
    once the disk is removed from Veritas.

    If you're getting real block errors on the new disk, then it's possible
    that's bad.
    I'd first clean up the old device nodes correctly by removing and inserting
    the disk via the correct luxadm commands.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread