ZFS for OS filesystems ? - SUN

This is a discussion on ZFS for OS filesystems ? - SUN ; Hello: I'm going to migrate users home directories to ZFS and I'm wondering whether OS filesystems (/, /usr, /var, /var/mail, /opt) could also be migrated to ZFS. The Solaris level of both platforms is: SPARC: Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC ...

  1. ZFS for OS filesystems ?

    Hello:

    I'm going to migrate users home directories to ZFS and I'm wondering
    whether OS filesystems (/, /usr, /var, /var/mail, /opt) could also be
    migrated to ZFS.

    The Solaris level of both platforms is:

    SPARC:
    Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC
    Generic_127111-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R

    Opteron:
    Solaris 10 8/07 s10x_u4wos_12b X86
    Generic_127128-11 i86pc i386 i86pc

    Regards,
    Guy Paulus
    --
    ,
    /)

  2. Re: ZFS for OS filesystems ?

    On Wed, 21 May 2008, Guy Paulus wrote:

    > I'm going to migrate users home directories to ZFS and I'm wondering
    > whether OS filesystems (/, /usr, /var, /var/mail, /opt) could also be
    > migrated to ZFS.

    A very good idea, but Solaris 10 doesn't yet support ZFS boot. For that
    you'll need Nevada.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  3. Re: ZFS for OS filesystems ?

    Guy Paulus wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm going to migrate users home directories to ZFS and I'm wondering
    > whether OS filesystems (/, /usr, /var, /var/mail, /opt) could also be
    > migrated to ZFS.

    Not yet.

    OpenSolaris 2008.05 -> http://opensolaris.com/ supports that. Other
    Solaris distributions might do so as well. Solaris 10 (incl. U5)
    doesn't.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread